how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Rye637

join:2013-02-25
Severna Park, MD

[Northeast] change fios broadband connection from coax to ethern

Hello. After running cat5e from my ONT to my Actiontec's (MI424WR ref F) WAN (rj45) port, I called Fios tech support. I thought from various posts on DSLreports that it would be a simple request for the ONT to be reprovisioned from broadband over coax to broadband over ethernet. The technician did some things relating to "activating the RJ45 jack" for about 10 minutes. Then she told me that a service technician would have to be dispatched at my expense to re-provision.

My question: Is this true (really necessary)?I have tested the cable pinout myself from the ONT to the Actiontec. I have link light at both ends (the wan port of the Actiontec as well as the ONT). When logging into the actiontec interface, it will display "Connected" if I enable the Broadband Ethernet connection. Then it perpetually says "waiting for lease" until it gives up and auto-disables the connection.

So is a technician dispatch really necessary, or am I just talking to the wrong person at the help desk? When the equipment was installed about 18 months ago, the technician offered to hook up my actiontec via ethernet. I declined at the time, but now I wish I had it so that I may use my own router. I live in Maryland.

Thanks in advance.

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:29

Re: [Northeast] change fios broadband connection from coax to et

said by Rye637:

Then she told me that a service technician would have to be dispatched at my expense to re-provision.

A tech visit is not necessary. Try another CSR or post your request in »Verizon Direct
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

Rye637

Severna Park, MD

Thanks for the advice and quick response.

Henry009

join:2013-02-27
Brooklyn, NY
reply to Rye637

Same problem. Wrote down COAX info, IP's DNS Etc. Disabled COAX enabled WAN assigned as static. Router Main Menu then said Internet OK, static IP connected. ONT WAN is active however browser will not access internet. On COAX now to post this. If/when I find solution I'll keep you "posted"

Does LED on the MI424WR WAN Jack go green when you plug in the RJ-45 from the ONT WAN?
If so it is active. I ASSUME

Rye637

Severna Park, MD

The LED on the MI424's WAN port is a solid green. However, the led inside the ONT for ethernet connectivity is dark. I assume that illuminates only when Verizon reprovisions the ONT for WAN ethernet.