how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

FF4m3

@rr.com

LG Acquires webOS - What It Means For Open-Source

What LG’s acquisition of webOS means for its open source projects:

LG announced yesterday that it would be acquiring webOS from HP to use in LG smart televisions. The company has inherited all of the rights to the source code for webOS, including documentation and engineers, as well as all of its related websites. But what about projects like Open webOS and webOS Ports?

Maxo
Your tax dollars at work.
Premium,VIP
join:2002-11-04
Tallahassee, FL
That's one way to kick the can down the road.

rexbinary
Mod King
Premium
join:2005-01-26
Plano, TX
reply to FF4m3
Opening the source doesn't necessarily make the code desirable.

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA
reply to FF4m3
said by FF4m3 :

including documentation and engineers

Wow, they bought the engineers too?
--
My place : »www.schettino.us

devrandom
I got a pot, full of random stuff here
Premium
join:2003-06-28
said by JohnInSJ:

Doesn't surprise me actually! The community to corp. connection was very strong at HP (with regards to webOS at least), and bringing new people on to manage it was probably not worth the money/time/effort. At best it would have cost LG more money to get engineers up to speed and interested.

JohnInSJ
Premium
Aptos, CA
said by devrandom:

said by JohnInSJ:

Doesn't surprise me actually! The community to corp. connection was very strong at HP (with regards to webOS at least), and bringing new people on to manage it was probably not worth the money/time/effort. At best it would have cost LG more money to get engineers up to speed and interested.

I wonder who was left? Last I heard most of the quality had departed prior to the full integration into HP, with the rest (anyone with a pulse) leaving when HP drove it into the ground.
--

devrandom
I got a pot, full of random stuff here
Premium
join:2003-06-28
Yep, then there were the huge layoffs. [0]

As dysfunctional as HP was (and still is), the spin off Gram had their own separate offices with around 200 people left [1] to open source stuff and remove proprietary code.. so it was not some lone guy in a corner with the functional equivalent of a 386 desktop I guess.

The end goal for Gram was a RedHat/Fedora style open source model [2] where they'd sell vendor supported versions with batteries included, so LG must have just bought them out after seeing what they wanted (but not being able to control it).

[0] »www.webosnation.com/hp-cutting-w···-way-out
[1] »www.webosnation.com/webos-moving···new-digs
[2] »www.webosnation.com/open-webos-p···es-money

JohnInSJ
Premium
Aptos, CA
reply to FF4m3
ah that makes sense. I lost visibility when the last guy I keep in touch with left
--