Outland

pandora to KrK

Premium Member

to KrK

Re: Money

said by KrK:

It only STARTS here.

*** redacted ***

This is a continuation of the liberties lost when Homeland security was created. The Center for Copyright Information (CCI) website is here - »www.copyrightinformation ··· ces-faq/ on this page you can read the ISP / content owner memorandums of understanding.

Essentially, the RIAA and MPAA will have copyrighted content delivered to the copyright information designee (auditors?) by content owners or designees, who wish their intellectual property protected.

The Copyright Information Center will have P2P servers that participate in file sharing. The sharing will work, but while sharing, software will determine what file is being share (if the file has a copyright owner that has asked for protection of digital material with the Copyright Information Center).

When the CCI (Copyright Information Centers) proxy determines a P2P file is violating a copyright, it will flag the time and IP address of the offending download and source (if upload). Monthly a report of infringed copyrights, IP addresses and times will be delivered to ISP's who will forward the alleged violations to their respective customers.

The goal seems to be to educate, attempt remediation, and later to seek punishment.

I'm not a fan of spying, but P2P is inherently shared by users. I can't see how any decision to use a P2P service that may search for violations of copyright is illegal. It doesn't seem that the CCI is spying, it's just part of the P2P network, but is taking notes about who is sharing what, where, when and what IP address.

The methodology is discussed a bit here - »www.copyrightinformation ··· cted.pdf

An unmodified copy of the memorandum of understanding is here - »www.copyrightinformation ··· ding.pdf

There appear to be 2 updates to the agreement which are here »www.copyrightinformation ··· ment.pdf and here »www.copyrightinformation ··· ment.pdf

NOYB
St. John 3.16
Premium Member
join:2005-12-15
Forest Grove, OR

NOYB

Premium Member

But if they themselves are participating in the sharing (providing freely to the public), how can they then turn around and claim infringement. Please keep in mind this is not a law enforcement / government sanctioned sting operation which is most cases would have to be targeted at someone / entity known to be breaking the law. For the purpose of catching them specifically and collecting evidence.

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5

Premium Member

said by NOYB:

But if they themselves are participating in the sharing (providing freely to the public), how can they then turn around and claim infringement. Please keep in mind this is not a law enforcement / government sanctioned sting operation which is most cases would have to be targeted at someone / entity known to be breaking the law. For the purpose of catching them specifically and collecting evidence.

They can monitor w/o sharing.

pende_tim
Premium Member
join:2004-01-04
Selbyville, DE

pende_tim to pandora

Premium Member

to pandora
said by pandora:

said by KrK:

It only STARTS here.

*** redacted ***

The Copyright Information Center will have P2P servers that participate in file sharing. The sharing will work, but while sharing, software will determine what file is being share (if the file has a copyright owner that has asked for protection of digital material with the Copyright Information Center).

So the CIC will have P2P servers offering copyrighted content??? And then "take" names so the ISPs can "kick ass"?

This sounds like trolling to me. Put out the bait and then reel in the fish.

Yea, no different than when cops go undercover to snag hookers but still not right.
pandora
Premium Member
join:2001-06-01
Outland

pandora to NOYB

Premium Member

to NOYB
said by NOYB:

I guess they own it. If caught you can try to fight them with your claim. Personally, my belief is P2P will become more dangerous over time. A secure connection to a download site may be safer where there are no unknown third parties.

The legality of the entire scheme is beyond my understanding, though the concept is technically a bit interesting.
pandora

pandora to pende_tim

Premium Member

to pende_tim
said by pende_tim:

So the CIC will have P2P servers offering copyrighted content??? And then "take" names so the ISPs can "kick ass"?

This sounds like trolling to me. Put out the bait and then reel in the fish.

Yea, no different than when cops go undercover to snag hookers but still not right.

It may be. Guess the EFF and some brave soul will have to litigate and have a court decide the legality of their intended attempt to thwart illegal file sharing.

My goal was to provide links to the website and documents that were touched on by some articles.
« Comcast isn't saying yetVPN »
This is a sub-selection from Money