Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Mimiga King

join:2008-09-15
Quebec, QC
reply to TSI Gabe

Re: Youtube

When I run pytomo_windows_x86.exe and enter the data as..

y :enter
Teksavvy Solutions :enter
:enter (no proxy)

it then fails to fetch my public IP address, where can I enter it manually?

stevey_frac

join:2009-12-09
Cambridge, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable

Don't worry about that. You're running on a router, so it can't verify a public IP. They can still log all the relevant information.

I've got this setup and running. I'll do a run now, and again around 9:00 p.m. tomorrow for a 'good case' / 'bad case' comparison.

Hope this helps!

Mimiga King

Quebec, QC
reply to Mimiga King

said by Mimiga King:

When I run pytomo_windows_x86.exe and enter the data as..

y :enter
Teksavvy Solutions :enter
:enter (no proxy)

it then fails to fetch my public IP address, where can I enter it manually?

Forgot to say that it asks me to stop the crawl just after saying that it can't fetch the public IP.

right now I'm running "pytomo_web_interface_windows_x86.exe" and it says it runs on sevver 0.0.0.0:5555

stevey_frac

Cambridge, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable

Ya, it's just telling you that if you need to stop the crawl, you can do so with Ctr-C.

If you look at it, you can see that it spawned a process that's out there crawling away like a madman.

Mimiga King

Quebec, QC

said by stevey_frac:

Ya, it's just telling you that if you need to stop the crawl, you can do so with Ctr-C.

If you look at it, you can see that it spawned a process that's out there crawling away like a madman.

Ok, thanks. well, here goes a 24/7 1969 video playlist running on my server. results should be interesting ^^

stevey_frac

Cambridge, ON

I don't follow... If you didn't enter any info, it should be doing a 10k video list...

You don't have to watch youtube to have it work. You just launch the executable, and it goes out to youtube and grabs streams and benchmarks them.

pldube

join:2011-06-11
canada
reply to TSI Gabe

I got:

Public IP address not found: , retrying in 1 seconds

Public IP address not found: , retrying in 2 seconds

Public IP address not found: , retrying in 3seconds

Public IP address could not be logged

TSI Gabe
Router of Packets
Premium,VIP
join:2007-01-03
Gatineau, QC
kudos:7

That's fine, it's just a warning but the program still runs.

To clarify things, yes it does gran "up to" 10,000 videos by default which is obviously a lot. You don't need to run it for that long, that could quite obviously take a very long time. Only run it for a few hours preferably at peak. Better would be about 24h

You can then send us the logs at support@teksavvy.com
--
TSI Gabe - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee ( »TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )

jmcneill

join:2010-04-06
Canada

I uploaded a ~12hr run to the direct forum earlier this morning.

JMJimmy

join:2008-07-23
reply to TSI Gabe

Here's a bit of cosmic irony: while the program is running, streaming is better than it's been in ages.

JennyHardin

join:2013-02-27
Canada
reply to TSI Gabe

I don't experience any streaming issues with Youtube. when I watch videos on Youtube I make sure that I am not downloading anything else, that can consume speed of my connection.

creed3020
Premium
join:2006-04-26
Kitchener, ON
kudos:2
reply to TSI Gabe

Thanks for the email Gabe.

I ran this last night from 8PM to 10PM which is pretty well primetime. Tonight I will try to run it again for a 24hr sweep from another PC.

jmck
formerly 'shaded'

join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Start Communicat..

this youtube page might help diagnose the problem, it should provide an average of your download speeds from the last month.

»www.youtube.com/my_speed

My average with a different ISP is 18Mbit/sec.

graniterock

join:2003-03-14
London, ON
reply to TSI Gabe

I started it last night at 9 pm... I'll let it run until just before I go to bed tommorrow night. You'll get a nice 48 hour period with two full peak times.

TypeS

join:2012-12-17
London, ON
kudos:1
reply to TSI Gabe

Do I just pack up the db file in a rar and email it? Do you also want the log file it produced?

rustydusty

join:2009-09-29
Red Deer, AB
reply to TSI Gabe

May as well send the DB and log. More information is always better.

d4m1r

join:2011-08-25
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to TSI Gabe

Wow, can other people on cable preferably post the speed they get @ youtube.com/my_speed? I just realized that I averaged 4mbps recent and that is horrid (see screenshot below).

»i.imgur.com/VOmqwAy.png

On a site note, has anyone attempt the iptables/router workaround by blocking specific Google servers that throttle your connection to youtube apparently?
--
www.613websites.com Budget Canadian Web Design and Hosting

TypeS

join:2012-12-17
London, ON
kudos:1

mworts

join:2010-12-24
reply to d4m1r

youtube speed

youtube
On TSI cable 28/1. Bloor POI

Walter Dnes

join:2008-01-27
Thornhill, ON
reply to twizzler66

said by twizzler66:

Just an FYI (and if this is truly a case of blocking primary servers and accessing backup servers it doesn't really resolve the issue), but blocking the IP ranges talked about in this thread - »Youtube is slow - have resulted in a 100% improvement on streaming youtube for me - unfortunately it does jack squat to fix issues with twitch.tv....

...now if only someone could provide a similar (if temporary) fix for twitch tv...

OK, we can try...

Step 1) Open up twitch.tv in your browser, when it's running slowly

Step 2) If you're running linux, pop open a terminal and execute

lsof -i > x.txt

If you're running Windows, open a command.com or cmd.exe terminal, and execute

netstat -a -b -f > x.txt

When the command prompt returns, copy+paste the contents of x.txt in a message. That'll give an idea of which server you're using.

resa1983
Premium
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON
kudos:10
reply to TSI Gabe

We randomly have the buffer issue with youtube, where it refuses to buffer at all.

Right now, I'm running the pytomo program, while my son is watching a youtube video which isn't having any problems buffering (probably because he watches the same video several times a day?).
--
Battle.net Tech Support MVP

jmck
formerly 'shaded'

join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON

does he watch them in HD too? when i had issues with TSI/youtube reloading the page multiple times would eventually make it go through.

i also had tried using youtube downloaders and the actual HTTP download would time out too.

stevey_frac

Cambridge, ON
reply to TSI Gabe

Where are we supposed to upload the data to?

Email Gabe? or?

EDIT: Nevermind, support@teksavvy.com

TSI Martin
Premium
join:2006-02-23
Chatham, ON
kudos:33

said by stevey_frac:

Where are we supposed to upload the data to?

EDIT: Nevermind, support@teksavvy.com

You can also upload it to the »TekSavvy Direct. We'll forward it.

Martin
--
TSI Martin (Escalations / E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee ( »»TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )
Follow us on Twitter : @TekSavvyCSR ; @TekSavvyNetwork

wenk

join:2008-09-02
Ottawa, ON

OK, this is an interesting result. I'm using a download plugin for firefox to download a video. Something less popular, will only get a few thousand views. It's been downloading at 150-400KByte/s. Mostly 150, sometimes climbing up to 400+.

I load husky's latest video (watch?v=69YAadYgMj4&feature=youtube_gdata) Not only does it load at close to 1MByte/s the video that I'm downloading also speeds up to >1Mbyte/s. I was able to repeat this a couple of times. This would explain why videos will download quickly at say 6PM when I get home, but if I have to reload the video later (ie when Chrome decides to wipe the video cache) it will load very slowly. Typically when I get home I'm pre-buffering several videos many of them from more popular sources (ie The Game Station sources, Yogscast etc).

graniterock

London, ON
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to TSI Martin

said by TSI Martin:

You can also upload it to the »TekSavvy Direct. We'll forward it.

Martin

I ended up doing this. I never got a confirmation from the email that it got through ok. The attachment was 5.5 MB so I wonder if it go rejected?

TSI Martin
Premium
join:2006-02-23
Chatham, ON
kudos:33

PM the email you sent it from... I'll confirm if we did receive it or not.

creed3020
Premium
join:2006-04-26
Kitchener, ON
kudos:2
reply to TSI Gabe

I sent my results in. It was a rather large attachment as well. Confirmation of receipt would be great.

Scycotic

join:2012-12-10

Hm, mine was only 99 KB, but then I only ran it for 5 hours or so.

graniterock

London, ON

My 48+ hour run generated a 1.2 MB .db file and a 4 MB compressed log file (50 MB uncompressed!).