share rss forum feed

Dustyn
Premium
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
kudos:11
reply to FFH5

Re: KB2670838 Win 7 platform update

I installed this update just before installing the shiny new IE10 for Windows 7. So far everything is stable and running smoothly.

fuziwuzi
Not born yesterday
Premium
join:2005-07-01
Atlanta, GA
reply to FFH5
This update can seriously degrade the use of Firefox. It happened on my system when I installed the IE10 Preview (which also installed this update). The bug is noted on Firefox »bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=812695.

So, if you use Firefox and especially if you use an ATI/AMD graphics driver, you might want to hold off installing this update.
--
Teabaggers: Destroying America is Priority #1

tim92655

@rr.com
reply to FFH5
i installed the update then played world of warcraft it crashed my system so i uninstalled it every thing is ok now

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH
kudos:2
I had it installed on my notebook and it caused my boot process to be significantly longer. Uninstalled it, that broke my boot process completely. I had to restore back to a System Restore Point and once I did that, the system booted again. Luckily, I was able to get into Safe Mode to do the System Restore.
--
Tom
Boycott AT&T uVerse! | Tom's Android Blog | AOKP (The Android Open Kang Project)

SomeGeek

@bhn.net
reply to FFH5
KB2670838 did a number on my system. If I try to launch Firefox the system will freeze and eventually BSOD. I can run IE9 for about 5 minutes before I get the same result, I can run Chrome for about 10 minutes.

Some of the BSOD dumps indicate they're tied to DirectX components.
One said it was a KERNEL_INPAGE_ERROR but wasn't informative beyond that.
Other BSODs mentioned terminating threads to prevent system damage or some such.

Uninstalling the update didn't fix it for me. Neither did going back to a pre-update restore point.
I'm trying to repair using the inplace upgrade method but it BSODs after the system files are copied from the orig DVD.

I've read about the update breaking one or two online games for some users.
There are also rumors about AMD hardware being susceptible. That's what I run.

I've also read that turning off Hardware Acceleration in Firefox helps some Firefox issues.

In my case, Network and GUI usage each accelerate the death spiral. Running a browser gets me a hung system pretty quickly.

I don't know if it's related but another system here couldn't connect wirelessly after the update. I didn't investigate, just rolled back to the pre-update restore point and it's fine now.

Cartel
Premium
join:2006-09-13
Chilliwack, BC
reply to FFH5
I love the smell of FAIL in the mornin'

La Luna
RIP Lisa
Premium
join:2001-07-12
Warwick, NY
kudos:3

1 recommendation

reply to FFH5
I'm wondering if this update was the cause of my angst also (used system restore this morning to roll back). I also got a bsod last night, plus other hinky things.

»WinPatrol Plus monitor keeps shutting down

printscreen

join:2003-11-01
Juana Diaz, PR
Reviews:
·Choice Cable TV
·Coqui/PRTC
reply to fuziwuzi
Too late for me. This update is causing fuzzy text on Firefox 19. I have an AMD graphics card. So far no other program is showing this behavior. And I have not installed anything related to IE 10. Still have IE 9 and have been using it today to see if I also get fuzzy text but have not so far. Attached is a picture taken from the screen when in Firefox.

Is it safe to revert this update?

La Luna
RIP Lisa
Premium
Warwick, NY
said by printscreen:

Is it safe to revert this update?

I did a system restore to before all the updates, including this one. So far everything is ok. I think it's safe to remove. Someone else above also did a system restore.

F430

@qwest.net
reply to printscreen
If you have an Nvidia graphics card be very careful with this update, especially if you like any of the aero features in Windows 7. There have been a number of reports of problems with the update disabling aero completely. No way to recover except going back to a previous restore point and sometimes that doesn't work. We have had to re-image a few user's laptops due to this update. Some other graphics problems have also been reported.

Note that MS also marked this update as "Critical" when they first released it. It has since been marked "Recommended" but some users installed it as if it was critical and then lost aero and/or other graphics capabilities.

therube

join:2004-11-11
Randallstown, MD
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to printscreen

printscreen

Juana Diaz, PR
Reviews:
·Choice Cable TV
·Coqui/PRTC
reply to F430
said by F430 :

If you have an Nvidia graphics card be very careful with this update, especially if you like any of the aero features in Windows 7. There have been a number of reports of problems with the update disabling aero completely.

I have a Radeon HD 4350 card and so far no problems with Aero or anything other than the fuzzy text in Firefox.

said by therube:

You could try disabling gfx.content.azure.enabled & see if that helps.

How do I do that?

SpHeRe31459
Premium
join:2002-10-09
Sacramento, CA
said by printscreen:

said by therube:

You could try disabling gfx.content.azure.enabled & see if that helps.

How do I do that?

In Firefox in the address bar type "about:config" and hit enter.
Click the "I'll be careful I promise!" button.
In the search box paste in the "gfx.content.azure.enabled" string and it will jump to that configuration item. Toggle it "false" by double-clicking it. Then close and reopen Firefox.

printscreen

Juana Diaz, PR
I tried it and so far seems to work. Thanks a bunch.

Mannus
Premium
join:2005-10-25
Fort Wayne, IN
reply to printscreen
I was having the same issue. I uninstalled it and after reboot, it was offered again. I just hid this update for now. No more fuzzy text. I have an ATI HD4650 card installed BTW.

Chizep
Premium
join:2002-04-07
Concord, NC

1 recommendation

reply to FFH5
Hello DSLR! I have not posted in years but came here to post about this update. Seen two instances over the course of 24 hours where this update makes IE9 crash when trying to print. In one case, did a system restore to remove it. In the other, uninstalled the update via "Programs and Features" and rebooted. Both machines were Win7 SP1 32-bit. Printer models varied. This looks like it could break a lot of stuff with all the different "modules" it updates. Craziness.

BlueJay

join:2007-11-06
Hi Chizep,

I also uninstalled the update trough Programs & Features and rebooted. Win7, SP1..

On checking the Windows Update History, it is still listed.. Any clues for me?
ciao, bj

Robotics
See You On The Dark Side
Premium
join:2003-10-23
Louisa, VA
Same with me. And I even went to the extent to roll back prior to the update, and it is still there.

I am just going to leave it there. I see no ill effects from it anyway actually.

Running win7 SP1 64
--
Long you live and high you fly, and smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry,
and all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be.

goalieskates
Premium
join:2004-09-12
land of big
reply to FFH5
Not feeling lucky today and not in the mood to fix stuff. Think I'll just let this sit till MS fixes it.

Dustyn
Premium
Ontario, CAN
Has anyone confirmed that Microsoft believes there is something to fix?

goalieskates
Premium
land of big

1 recommendation

said by Dustyn:

Has anyone confirmed that Microsoft believes there is something to fix?

If enough people have problems there's no reason to think they won't fix it. They always have in the past.

In the meantime, sometimes it pays not to be an early adopter. It's not a case of "I'll never install" it's a case of "not yet."

printscreen

Juana Diaz, PR
Reviews:
·Choice Cable TV
·Coqui/PRTC
said by goalieskates:

In the meantime, sometimes it pays not to be an early adopter. It's not a case of "I'll never install" it's a case of "not yet."

The problem is that you are offered the update but you have no idea something like this will happen unless you specifically search the Internet for each and every update offered looking for this kind of complaint. Some peple probably do but most (including myself) probably won't. I did look at the description of this one in detail and visited the MS page explaining it because "Platform Update" seemed to be way more complex than any simple update offered every two weeks. I didn't read anywhere that it was related to Internet Explorer 10 which I don't plan to install for the time being. If it mentioned IE 10 I would have hidden it. So I just went ahead and updated and the very first time I used Firefox after the restart I noticed the problem. IE 9 or any other application I tried did not have the problem. And this was not even an early adoption since this particular update was making the rounds for a few months already.

Pentangle
With our thoughts we make the world.
Premium
join:2006-06-01
Vancouver BC
I've learned the hard way to wait a couple of days before I install MS updates. If there are any problems they'll be reported right here at DSLR, usually within a few hours. I was lucky in that I managed to uninstall the "Platform Update" easily. Like yourself, had I known it was related to IE10 I wouldn't have gone near it. It's now hidden. Win 7 64.

Blogger
Jedi Poster
Premium
join:2012-10-18
reply to goalieskates
It downloaded and installed on 2/27/13 for me.

Dustyn
Premium
Ontario, CAN

1 edit
reply to Pentangle

La Luna
RIP Lisa
Premium
Warwick, NY
reply to FFH5
I hid the Platform update now that I've uninstalled it. Won't touch it again. Not interested in IE 10 at this moment anyway.

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
join:2000-08-06
Galt's Gulch

1 edit
reply to FFH5
Click for full size
DxDiag
Since KB2670838 seems to update DirectX files I wonder if running DxDiag (included with Windows) will identify any issue on those machines that don't like it.
--
Don't feed trolls--it only makes them grow!

planet

join:2001-11-05
Oz
kudos:1
reply to FFH5
I haven't seen this update available. I haven't updated to SP1 so perhaps not offered to win 7 alone.

goalieskates
Premium
land of big
reply to Blogger
said by Blogger:

It downloaded and installed on 2/27/13 for me.

It shows up as an optional update for me. But I have Windows set to ask me about any updates, and I guess this is a prime example of why I did that.

printscreen

Juana Diaz, PR
I also have it set to ask first. Still I downloaded it because I didn't see a reason not to.