goalieskates
Premium
join:2004-09-12
land of big

1 recommendation

reply to Dustyn

Re: KB2670838 Win 7 platform update

said by Dustyn:

Has anyone confirmed that Microsoft believes there is something to fix?

If enough people have problems there's no reason to think they won't fix it. They always have in the past.

In the meantime, sometimes it pays not to be an early adopter. It's not a case of "I'll never install" it's a case of "not yet."

printscreen

join:2003-11-01
Juana Diaz, PR
Reviews:
·Choice Cable TV
·Coqui/PRTC

said by goalieskates:

In the meantime, sometimes it pays not to be an early adopter. It's not a case of "I'll never install" it's a case of "not yet."

The problem is that you are offered the update but you have no idea something like this will happen unless you specifically search the Internet for each and every update offered looking for this kind of complaint. Some peple probably do but most (including myself) probably won't. I did look at the description of this one in detail and visited the MS page explaining it because "Platform Update" seemed to be way more complex than any simple update offered every two weeks. I didn't read anywhere that it was related to Internet Explorer 10 which I don't plan to install for the time being. If it mentioned IE 10 I would have hidden it. So I just went ahead and updated and the very first time I used Firefox after the restart I noticed the problem. IE 9 or any other application I tried did not have the problem. And this was not even an early adoption since this particular update was making the rounds for a few months already.

Pentangle
With our thoughts we make the world.
Premium
join:2006-06-01
Vancouver BC
kudos:2

I've learned the hard way to wait a couple of days before I install MS updates. If there are any problems they'll be reported right here at DSLR, usually within a few hours. I was lucky in that I managed to uninstall the "Platform Update" easily. Like yourself, had I known it was related to IE10 I wouldn't have gone near it. It's now hidden. Win 7 64.

Blogger
Jedi Poster
Premium
join:2012-10-18
reply to goalieskates

It downloaded and installed on 2/27/13 for me.

Dustyn
Premium
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
kudos:11

1 edit
reply to Pentangle

»Re: IE reborn: Internet Explorer 10 arrives on Windows 7
No issues to report.

La Luna
RIP Lisa
Premium
join:2001-07-12
Warwick, NY
kudos:3
reply to FFH

I hid the Platform update now that I've uninstalled it. Won't touch it again. Not interested in IE 10 at this moment anyway.

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
join:2000-08-06
Galt's Gulch

1 edit
reply to FFH

Click for full size
DxDiag
Since KB2670838 seems to update DirectX files I wonder if running DxDiag (included with Windows) will identify any issue on those machines that don't like it.
--
Don't feed trolls--it only makes them grow!

planet

join:2001-11-05
Oz
kudos:1
reply to FFH

I haven't seen this update available. I haven't updated to SP1 so perhaps not offered to win 7 alone.

goalieskates
Premium
join:2004-09-12
land of big
reply to Blogger

said by Blogger:

It downloaded and installed on 2/27/13 for me.

It shows up as an optional update for me. But I have Windows set to ask me about any updates, and I guess this is a prime example of why I did that.

printscreen

Juana Diaz, PR

I also have it set to ask first. Still I downloaded it because I didn't see a reason not to.

Mister_E

join:2004-04-02
Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico

1 edit
reply to FFH

I've installed this as well (along with IE10) with no issues on Win7 64Bit using an nVidia gpu.

From the KB article, it does sound more like a DirectX update than anything else. More info here as well.

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
join:2000-08-06
Galt's Gulch

From the link Mister_E See Profile posted.

quote:
These provide partial functionality:

Direct3D 11.1
DXGI 1.2

Those two technologies only exist in DirectX 11.1 which is Win8 specific. I therefore assume IE10 uses certain features of DirectX 11.1 that don't exist in v11.0 (included with Win7) and that is what KB2670838 provides.
--
Don't feed trolls--it only makes them grow!

SpHeRe31459

join:2002-10-09
Sacramento, CA

said by StuartMW:

From the link Mister_E See Profile posted.

quote:
These provide partial functionality:

Direct3D 11.1
DXGI 1.2

Those two technologies only exist in DirectX 11.1 which is Win8 specific. I therefore assume IE10 uses certain features of DirectX 11.1 that don't exist in v11.0 (included with Win7) and that is what KB2670838 provides.

Yep that's pretty much what the notes for the update says it does. This is very much like the platform update that was pushed to Vista SP2 in preparation for IE9. It updated the Vista DX foundations with a bunch of DX 11 features back ported from Windows 7.

SpHeRe31459

Sacramento, CA

1 edit

FireFox 19.0.1 is out and it's supposed to address the display corruption issues. Stupidly, it's only being offered to Windows 8 users since, while it does affect Windows 8 users, somehow Mozilla missed that the Platform Update for Win 7 backports the libraries that cause the display issues, so it should be offered to Windows 7 users as well.
»www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/19···senotes/

Manual download for those who want to try out the fixes:
»ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/rele···1/win32/

woodie

join:2000-09-23
Gulf Breeze, FL
reply to printscreen

Worked for me too, thanks SpHeRe31459!! I was beginning to think that my 67 year old eyes were going bad! Who would've thought it was a Microsoft update!!

therube

join:2004-11-11
Randallstown, MD
reply to SpHeRe31459

quote:
FireFox 19.0.1 is out and it's supposed to address the display corruption issues.
The issue fixed in 19.0.1. only affected Win8 users.
The issue fixed in 19.0.1 is different from the issue mentioned in this thread that has been affecting Mozilla users, mainly with AMD video cards (& Intel IGP video).

SpHeRe31459

Sacramento, CA

Late to the party there, can you prove that it's not the same issue? It sure seems like it is. At least one person reported it helping. 19.0.2 is out at this point, so whatever fixes were in 19.0.1 are out in the wild to all users.

Phoenix22
Death From Above
Premium
join:2001-12-11
SOG C&C Nrth
Reviews:
·Comcast Formerl..
reply to FFH

said by FFH:

Got this on my Win 7 PC today.
KB2670838
After application, a reboot is needed.
»support.microsoft.com/kb/2670838

no issues .........wrks fine 4me
ffox 19.0.2
ie10

therube

join:2004-11-11
Randallstown, MD
reply to SpHeRe31459

Not to harp on it, but, »www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/19···senotes/.

19.0.2 was a security update, for all.
19.0.1 was a Win8 specific update - that did fix a graphics issue for (some) AMD users.

Though this, different, Bug 812695 - [D2D] Text Rendering Issues due to Windows 7 Platform Update KB2670838 (MSIE 10 Prerequisite) is not resolved (& now with IE10 being pushed will likely have many screaming).

printscreen

Juana Diaz, PR
reply to Phoenix22

19.0.2 did not fix it for me (Windows 7).

SpHeRe31459

Sacramento, CA

1 edit
reply to therube

Looks like setting "gfx.direct2d.disabled" to true and/or "gfx.content.azure.enabled" to false gets around the issues for now.

I haven't seen this bug crop up on some older Radeon HD 3400 and 2400 hardware. I also work with a lot of Intel integrated and haven't seen it yet personally. But it obviously exists, it seems especially for Radeon HD 4000 series and newer.

rcdailey
Dragoonfly
Premium
join:2005-03-29
Rialto, CA
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to FFH

Got IE10 for three Win7 Pro 64-bit systems today via Windows update, but it downloads separately from the security updates, so you have to run update twice to get it.
--
It is easier for a camel to put on a bikini than an old man to thread a needle.

Phoenix22
Death From Above
Premium
join:2001-12-11
SOG C&C Nrth
reply to therube

it also screwed the pooch on my favorite skins from glowplug.........