Phantasee to irontoes

to irontoes

Re: Building two low-end gaming PCs, ideas very welcome

Brands I've never had fail are:
Cooler Master
OCZ
Thermaltake
Ultra
I've had ONE Corsair fail but it was a GS series which is trash tier.

RAIDmax has died on me. Antec has died (killed HDD). Rosewill has died on me. Had 2 Apevia DOA, never got to even try them.

Gordo74
Premium Member
join:2003-10-28
Pittsburgh, PA

Gordo74

Premium Member

said by Phantasee:

Brands I've never had fail are:
Cooler Master
OCZ
Thermaltake
Ultra

RAIDmax has died on me. Antec has died (killed HDD). Rosewill has died on me. Had 2 Apevia DOA, never got to even try them.

It's important to note that brand bias is a bad way to go when looking at products.

That's like someone saying "Well I'm only going to buy a kia because one never failed on me!" (with a horrible track record across all averages).

You also have to take into consideration the product lines. For example, Rosewill's HIVE series is considered one of the best on the market, whereas their basic line is garbage. Antec's are generally good as well, whereas the OCZ and Thermaltake have product lines to stay away from too.

Phantasee
join:2009-08-27
Hammond, LA

Phantasee

I have no "brand bias". I try an array of brands and stick with what works. And Kia makes decent cars these days with a good track record since Hyundai builds/owns Kia.

I provided input based on what worked for me in real world testing. Not articles and stats. Was by no means biased. Sorry if it came off that way.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok to Gordo74

Premium Member

to Gordo74
Good PSUs today are Corsair/Seasonic/PC Power & Cooling (I believe the OEM model in these three are generally the same thing), Rosewill (the rated models), Antec, Cougar, Kingwin (stick to the rated models).

Now all of these brands have lines I would stay away from, and I am sure there are other brands I didn't mention (EVGA, if for some reason you need a 1500w PSU) that make good PSUs as well.

Bottome line, don't let brand loyalty or the stray DOA sway you--go find a review on your model to know if you are getting something that is put together well or a piece of crap.

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
join:2009-01-07
Nashville, TN

Ghastlyone to Phantasee

Premium Member

to Phantasee
said by Phantasee:

I've been running a GS700 for well over 1 year now. Running overclocked hardware also. GS series are 80+ bronze certified just like most other Corsair models. Not something I'd consider "trash tier".