spc
Search similar:

uniqs

AliceZ
join:2007-06-24
NYC

AliceZ

Price increase

I just received an email stating my monthly broadband rate is being raised from $19.99 to $24.99. Anyone else receive the same email notice?

Price Increa
@verizon.net

Price Increa

Anon

Also got a price increase:

Dear Valued Verizon Customer,

We realize you have choices when it comes to your broadband services. That’s why we would like to take this opportunity to say thank you for being a loyal customer and for choosing Verizon as your broadband provider.
We hope you understand that to maintain our broadband networks, from time to time we need to increase our rates. Your monthly rate will increase from $23.99 to $28.99 (not including additional services or, taxes and surcharges) and will be reflected on your bill within the next two months. The new rate will remain in effect for one year.
If you would like to review your account to see if you may qualify for savings by taking advantage of our bundles or if you have any questions, please log on to myverizon.com or give us a call at 1.888.214.3354.

To keep your current service as is, no action is required, and any credits or discounts remain in effect until their original expiration date. If you have recently upgraded to a new plan, please disregard this letter.

Thank you again for your business and we hope to serve you for many years to come.

Sincerely,

Your Verizon Team
joeytangsd
join:2013-02-26
Temecula, CA

joeytangsd to AliceZ

to AliceZ
I got the price increase notice also.

I was paying $29.99 a month for 768k/128k DSL. Increased to $34.99...

I cant believe they can charge that much for circa 1999 DSL. On top of all this i'm located less than 5k feet from the CO and I cant get Verizon to increase my speed.
gpal
join:2010-02-19

gpal to AliceZ

to AliceZ
Same here for DSL. Will go from $21.99 to $26.99. Just not worth it anymore.

Starting tomorrow, I'll make the switch to Optimum. Been thinking about it anyway.

Starting Thursday, will buy "Captive Audience: The Telecom Industry and Monopoly Power in the New Gilded Age"
andre2
join:2005-08-24
Brookline, MA

andre2 to AliceZ

to AliceZ
Just got the same notice for a price increase from $31.99 to $36.99 on my grandfathered dry loop 3/768 DSL. This is just one year after a $2 increase from $29.99 to $31.99. I guess they're really determined to get rid of DSL customers now.
jcf228
join:2001-09-05
Brooklyn, NY

jcf228 to AliceZ

to AliceZ
If you think that's bad, I got the same email sending by 5Mb/768k dry loop from $44.99 to $49.99!

A very easy way to really push people off the DSL network...

addled
@verizon.net

addled to AliceZ

Anon

to AliceZ
Me too. Just got an e-mail that my rate will increase from 44.99 to 49.99. What a bunch of bs. It's not even that fast (15/1) and they want to charge so much.

jjerry
@verizon.net

jjerry

Anon

Same here, price for dry loop 3/.768 going up from 33.99 to 38.99. Wonder if this is only for dry loop customers.
andre2
Brookline, MA

andre2

I was wondering about that too. I believe Verizon used to charge $5 extra for dry loop when it was available. Is anyone else who is seeing the $5 increase NOT on dry loop?

Smith6612
MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
·Charter
Ubee EU2251
Ubiquiti UAP-IW-HD
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC-HD

1 edit

Smith6612

MVM

I got the 5 dollar increase. $24.99 for the 1Mbps/384kbps package (I used to pay $14.95 for this before it got a price hike two years ago) for me now. I also have not been under a contract for a while, and I've had 5Mbps/768kbps as my actual speed for quite some time for various reasons. Still worth it to me. At 1Mbps? Not really, considering the phone line is already required and the cost of data should be getting cheaper.

Anon 566
@verizon.net

Anon 566 to andre2

Anon

to andre2
said by andre2:

I was wondering about that too. I believe Verizon used to charge $5 extra for dry loop when it was available. Is anyone else who is seeing the $5 increase NOT on dry loop?

I have POTS and I've gotten a price increase notice as well.
stason99
join:2009-03-31
Brooklyn, NY

stason99 to AliceZ

to AliceZ
I got the email too. $25 from $20 for Dry loop. Anybody tried to talk to them giving them a choice between having $20 a month a loosing a customer?

bohratom
My Jersey Giants finally winning again..
join:2011-07-07
Red Bank NJ

bohratom

said by stason99:

Anybody tried to talk to them giving them a choice between having $20 a month a loosing a customer?

You must be kidding as Verizon is actively doing all they can to move people off Pots to FIOS. Last thing they would do is lower the price to keep someone on Pots.
andre2
Brookline, MA

1 edit

andre2 to stason99

to stason99
said by stason99:

I got the email too. $25 from $20 for Dry loop. Anybody tried to talk to them giving them a choice between having $20 a month a loosing a customer?

Last year, when I got the $2 increase, I called up and tried to haggle the price down. In earlier years (when I was on contract) I was able to do this, but it didn't work last year, presumably because now they're trying to get rid of DSL customers, not keep them. I wouldn't expect it to work this year either.

I'm thinking of asking over in »DSL Extreme whether DSL Extreme customers are expected to get the same price increases after the first year promotional rate. I'd have to be careful about switching since it wouldn't be possible to get Verizon dry loop switching back.

Edit: »DSL Extreme as an escape from Verizon's DSL price increases?
Expand your moderator at work
stason99
join:2009-03-31
Brooklyn, NY

1 edit

stason99 to bohratom

to bohratom

Re: Price increase

said by bohratom:

said by stason99:

Anybody tried to talk to them giving them a choice between having $20 a month a loosing a customer?

You must be kidding as Verizon is actively doing all they can to move people off Pots to FIOS. Last thing they would do is lower the price to keep someone on Pots.

But they know for sure I won't buy their FIOS no matter what. The choice is either they get $20 a month or they don't. Can't they see that?

Besides, even though they get rid of DSL customers, they still sell DSL to resellers like DSL Extreme??? What's the point?

andre2,
I'm on exactly same dilemma now. DSL Extreme seems to be of same reliability as Verizon currently is, in a particular area. Looks like the first price increase will be $5 if we sign another 12month contract. A $2.88 surcharge will be added to any price.
bekfe10
join:2010-01-18
Dover, DE

bekfe10 to AliceZ

to AliceZ
Same here! I was a long time VZ customer and had dry loop DSL service with them for the past 7 years or so. They slapped me with $2 then $5 increases in about a year timeframe for barebone basic DSL service. When I called trying to figure out why, I was basically told that there are other alternatives such as wireless and satellite internet service available from the competitors (go figure) in my area. By the way, I do not know of any real competitor where I live! Not very happy, I switched my service over to DSLX and upgraded my speed in the process. The service has been working great as usual. Although new to DSLX, if you ask me it was well worth it.

I recently wrote a review gearing toward people with dry loop DSL on how to make the switch to DSLX seamless and the things to watch for before committing to a yearly contract. Remember, once you switch there is no going back to VZ DSL. Well, really? going back to what?

jjerry2
@optonline.net

jjerry2 to bohratom

Anon

to bohratom
said by bohratom:

said by stason99:

I jumped (I'm the same jjerry that posted earlier, see where I'm posting from now). FIOS is not available to me so hello optimum. I was thinking about doing this anyway, and the price increase was the proverbial straw.

I could not be happier. Optimum online flies. What a noticeable difference from 3Mbps (2.2-2.4 in speed tests) to 15Mpbs (18-19 in speed tests). This will be $9/mo cheaper for the first year and then $15 more expensive.

A couple of weeks ago I had argued with verizon about raising my speed without charging extra. My line qualifies for 7Mbps, but they would not do it without adding phone - which I do not want since I've been happily using voip for years.

I told them I had placed an order with cablevision. No concessions. I told them I had optimum installed plus my other reasons when I called to cancel. Again no concessions, no effort at all to keep me as a customer. Just the polite "Is there anything else I can help you with today?" at the end of the call.

My wife, who cares nothing about megabits, commented about how much better her netflix streamed shows look. We're cord cutters and stayed with what I thought was an acceptable price/speed ratio for a long time... but the price increase changed this and now I'm thinking I should have switched even when it was cheaper.

DC DSL
There's a reason I'm Command.
Premium Member
join:2000-07-30
Washington, DC
Actiontec GT784WN

DC DSL to AliceZ

Premium Member

to AliceZ
I haven't received an increase notice thus far. I'm bundled with VZ Freedom voice and 7.1-15 DSL. It's month-to-month since the contract expired back in August. Probably the bundle keeps me out of the increase pool. With bundles, they usually reach out with "your price will increase if you don't re-up for another year or 2" promos.

pende_tim
Premium Member
join:2004-01-04
Selbyville, DE

2 edits

pende_tim to AliceZ

Premium Member

to AliceZ
I got the same notice of a $5.00 increase for my 3x0.786 dry loop in Delaware around Christmas. That is one Christmas present I marked 'return to sender'.

Let me say, Comcast Performance Tier is really fast - 25x4 all day long. And it is less expensive for the first year. After the first year is up, time for some social engineering to try for another discount.

Oh BTW.. my Verizon Wireless contract is up soon and I am NOT going to pay the "share everything" rates just to get a new phone and the privilege of being on their network. It will be Straight Talk with a Google Nexus 4. My wife it trying Nexus4/Straight talk combo now and it is working as well as if not better than Verizon's service. The really sad for me is I have been a wireless customer with them since 1989 when they were called Bell Atlantic Mobile and you got 30 minutes for $29/month . I guess I am the only one with any loyality in this relationship.
VirtualLarry
Premium Member
join:2003-08-01

VirtualLarry to AliceZ

Premium Member

to AliceZ
Will be interesting to see if a relative who signed up for $14.95 "DSL price guarantee for life" will get that e-mail. Since, according to verizon's original offer, that price was supposed to be "for life".