All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
atechnical
join:2013-01-31

atechnical

[Northeast] Best Fios / User supplied router set up

I just bought an Asus Dark Knight Dual Band router to use with FiOS . We have both internet and TV service. I was wondering of the 10 available set ups listed in the FAQ is there one that will be the fastest as far as internet speed goes? I intend to use the router away from the coax that is currently connected to the actiontec router connecting it to the coax(via actiontec adapter) that runs to our living room STB.

More Fiber
MVM
join:2005-09-26
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber

MVM

You shouldn't see any significant difference in speed between any of the configurations.

You don't indicate if you're thinking about the Asus as a primary router, or just using it as a WAP.

If you're okay with losing on screen caller id and remote DVR, I'd suggest the ASUS as primary with the Actiontec behind it. You might get slightly (< 1ms) less latency, but that's just my guess and would be hard to quantify.
atechnical

atechnical

I think my configuration would make the dual band a WAP,but I don't know. Currently the Verizon Actiontec is at one end of the house. I'm hoping that putting the dual band in a more centralized location will improve coverage and internet speed.
28619103 (banned)
join:2009-03-01

28619103 (banned) to atechnical

to atechnical
If you are just looking for extra wireless coverage I found the following works well

• Primary Verizon Actiontec as main router/NAT and WAP for single floor. DHCP server enabled
• Additional WAP / floor broadcasting the same SSID as Actiontec on different channels hard wired back to Actiontec (using single LAN ports on the WAPs) DHCP server disabled

I put at least 1 WAP near a window at the rear of my house and get great coverage anywhere inside and in my back yard.
pete1980
join:2013-01-16
Buffalo, NY

pete1980 to atechnical

to atechnical
I've been playing with various configurations for a month and a half. I've been running for about 2 weeks with the Actiontec (Rev I) as primary. I have wireless turned off, and run a single cable from the Actiontec to a 16 port gigabit switch that distributes the ethernet connections around the house. I also have the Asus Dark Knight, and it is set up in Access Point Mode and is located on top of a book shelf in a central part of the house. This setup seems to be rock solid.

I had the Dark Knight as primary for about 3 weeks, but I had sporadic troubles with streaming and wifi. Separating the functions so that routing, switching and wireless are all handled independently by dedicated devices seems to have solved my problems and I've finally found a winning combination.

I recently tested 147/73 at the Verizon Fios speed test site over wifi, which is the best I've ever seen over wifi.
atechnical

atechnical

Thanks folks. I'm hoping to get this set up this weekend. Will hopefully be able to figure this out, be prepared for some lame questions.

aztecnology
O Rly?
Premium Member
join:2003-02-12
Murrieta, CA

aztecnology to atechnical

Premium Member

to atechnical
Do either of you have the range extender with this?

My buddy is looking to upgrade the wireless coverage in his 2 story house and was looking at this model.

He currently has the actiontec mounted in his garage (hence, weak coverage) that has a single lan connection going to his upstairs office/loft where he has it connected to his pc. He wants to put the Asus there on that connection upstairs and the extender downstairs in the family room to provide whole house coverage. Then he will just have all his devices on wifi.

What do you think, any issues with doing this?

»www.tigerdirect.com/appl ··· ewsBlock
pete1980
join:2013-01-16
Buffalo, NY

pete1980

I'm generally skeptical of extenders that are totally wireless, but that one seems to have a lot of good reviews.

Still, I'd prefer to run ethernet to another asus wherever he would put the extender but the extender itself would be a lot easier and may provide a great connection.

aztecnology
O Rly?
Premium Member
join:2003-02-12
Murrieta, CA

aztecnology

Premium Member

We are going to try just the Asus tomorrow night by itself first and see if the coverage is sufficient...