spc
uniqs
The Huntsman
join:2011-10-19
United State

The Huntsman to Doc Lithius

to Doc Lithius

Re: [Networking] Online Gaming on HughesNet

With Gen4 and the HT1000, I decided to start playing some games. I installed World of Warcraft, and it worked, but I never really liked it so I decided to download DC Universe Online. It played very smoothly and I greatly enjoyed it, until today... I started playing PVP and it worked very well - I won a few matches and lost a few matches - but a few hours later I discovered that I was banned.

They haven't yet given me a reason, but based on what I've seen, I suspect that they're going to accuse me of hacking. I didn't hack. I wouldn't even know how to hack. I'm thinking this is somehow related to HughesNet. Maybe the web acceleration or the turbo pages? I don't know. I'm going to try to appeal the thing once they actually accuse me of it - should they accuse me of it - but has something like this happened to anybody else while playing an online game via HughesNet?
Finn532
join:2012-07-03

Finn532

They'll probably try to pin you with lag switching. You might be able to appeal it with screenshots of your ping times and explaining high pings are normal on Hughesnet. I've been accused by randoms on Xbox Live of hacking while playing Red Dead Redemption and GTA4 because of lag, but I've never been banned.
The Huntsman
join:2011-10-19
United State

The Huntsman

said by Finn532:

They'll probably try to pin you with lag switching. You might be able to appeal it with screenshots of your ping times and explaining high pings are normal on Hughesnet. I've been accused by randoms on Xbox Live of hacking while playing Red Dead Redemption and GTA4 because of lag, but I've never been banned.

Thanks. I attached an image from two different tests showing my ping in the high 600s. Normally, it's in the 700s, but it's close enough. Reading the definition of lag switch, I don't think anything like that happened because I got my ass kicked in PVP and people certainly weren't standing still. But it does seem to be the most likely thing that I would be accused of. I know with certainty that I didn't do anything that violated the rules.
The Huntsman

The Huntsman

They didn't appeal the ban. It's a good thing I was playing a free account, but now I'm worried about ever getting a paid account for an MMORPG in the future. If they think you're hacking, they're not going to let you appeal. If you show their system has cracks, it undermines them, so they'd rather ban the innocent to keep the guilty away. Pissed off, none-the-less.
Finn532
join:2012-07-03

Finn532

FlyFF and Runescape are the only MMOs that I've played over a long enough period to know for certain you won't get banned for high pings. League of Legends and Runes of Magic also work, but LoL is hard enough without the input lag and RoM just doesn't hold my attention. Not to mention LoL and RoM have pretty large patch sizes that rely on P2P connections, it took me almost a week to patch each of them. I'm on the HN9000 so it may work better on Gen4.

It's a real drag trying to play anything over Hughesnet, I feel your pain.

diablo18926
R.I.P. Donald Lee Wise
join:2011-04-21
Friendly, WV

1 edit

diablo18926 to The Huntsman

to The Huntsman
said by The Huntsman:

They haven't yet given me a reason, but based on what I've seen, I suspect that they're going to accuse me of hacking. I didn't hack. I wouldn't even know how to hack. I'm thinking this is somehow related to HughesNet. Maybe the web acceleration or the turbo pages? I don't know. I'm going to try to appeal the thing once they actually accuse me of it - should they accuse me of it - but has something like this happened to anybody else while playing an online game via HughesNet?

The reason why they say your hacking is because other players see you glitching and this says "hey your using some sorta trainer to make you teleport and move faster than others" The reason why your teleporting is because the ping is so outrages, sometimes connection will also get lost and then comes back witch makes you teleport. The reason why your moving so fast is because the game server your playing on can't keep up with your lag, your just too laggy.

I played crysis 3 on launch day and other players thought that i was using a trainer.. I have 1 question. How can I be cheating on a game that just launched?? tell me HOW?! I could'nt have been, the game just launched, my ping was saying 650.. and one other thing, if the players see you have 999 ping or whatever they will try to ban you, they will also try to record you while your saying your not a cheater but really lagging. Its extremely frusterating sometimes. No one wants to play against someone who looks like they are cheating..