All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs

TypeS
join:2012-12-17
London, ON

TypeS to DuPie

to DuPie

Re: Distributel - Absurd Business Development!

said by DuPie :

How long ago was the modem purchased? 3web was purchased by Distributel a few years ago now.

A 3+ year old DSL or Cablemodem won't work very well on new networks (Docsis3 or adsl2) and won't support the newer speeds as ISPs upgrade networks.

If you bought one less than a year ago well that's a different story.

Any more details?

ADSL2+ is an old standard (and on its way out), ADSL2+ modems have bee around for a decade now, so no, a modem bought 3 years ago for ADSL will still work (as long as it was ADSL2+). VDSL packages are where you'd require a new modem purchase, if and when they allow BYOD for VDSL.

With cable modems, it depends if he's on a tier that requires channel bonding or not. If it does, it's recommended they buy a D3 modem even if he can get the same speeds at D2, D3 makes things simpler.

DuPie
@distributel.net

DuPie

Anon

VDSL makes me happy, but I'm still partial to cablemodem but good points. yeah i suspect it's a technology reason.
YogiB
join:2010-08-18
Montreal, QC

YogiB to TypeS

to TypeS
said by TypeS:

VDSL packages are where you'd require a new modem purchase, if and when they allow BYOD for VDSL.

For the moment, Bell has it's own VDSL standard, so impossible to BYOD: forced to buy a Sagemcom. Although, last month a technician told me that Bell is changing things, so in some while BYOD could become an option.