share rss forum feed

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle
kudos:5

Something is on the blink

Well, either my video card or my CPU is on the blink. I hope it is the video card, and it might be on warranty still, even though it is a refurb. It will be a while before I can ship it out if it IS covered. In the mean time, my overclock of the CPU and my folding has been halted for now.

Also, I have to take the beast (what I call this system) to my BIL's so I can use his air compressor to blow it all out.

What is happening is I am seeing artifacts that move if I scroll, little individual pixel sized flickers of color.

I think that on my day off I will put my old 7950GT card into this system and see if the artifacts are still there. If they aren't, I can contact the dealer and save enough money to ship it out.

So my absence from production will be due to me not having a choice. I could do work on my brand new laptop, but I don't dare get it messed up since it will be used for future school work.

I have to find the box and all that the processor came in, hope I still have it!

I bought this in May of last year.

If it is the processor, I think that is still on warranty too, for about another year. I hope it isn't the processor though, because this one was a very good one.

Anyways, I have to take a hiatus from folding. Maybe someone will join and take up the slack...
--
Join Teams Helix and Discovery. Rest in Peace, Leonard David Smith, my best friend, you are missed badly! Rest in peace, Pop, glad our last years were good. Please pray for Colin, he has ependymoma, a brain cancer, donate to a children's Hospital.

parkut
Crunch Addict
Premium,MVM
join:2001-12-15
Harrison Township, MI
kudos:7
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·WOW Internet and..
I have some kind of GUP card, but I'm unable to identify it. It came with a motherboard I purchased, and did not have any use for the card.

I think it's an ATI Radeon 6770 or maybe 5770. The card is marked
LF R84FB 1gb

Let me know if this is something you can use and I'll ship it to you free of charge. It's only going to get old and eventually sent to scrap.

If you need photos, I can post here or e-mail to you.
--
Hello, my name is Bill and I'm a crunchaholic...

Proud to be hosting six Crunchenstein blades, and three Foldinator blades

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle
Thanks! PM sent.

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle
reply to signmeuptoo
Ok, folding with CPU again, but watching temps. Found my old 7950 GT, it works, can't fold with it, but it works.

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle
reply to signmeuptoo
Just a lil' update:

Thanks to our intrepid member, I am GPU folding again. Also, the defective video card got an RMA approved (at first they didn't like the serial number and were going to deny, but I gently presisted and got the right person on the phone eventually).

Looks like when I get the replacment, I'll have 2 GPU folders. I'm still on the fend about using the new laptop, If I can get a pair of women's nylons so I can cut out a piece and use it to block dust, I'll be less concerened.

Anyone know of anything better than women's stockings for an air filter?
--
Join Teams Helix and Discovery. Rest in Peace, Leonard David Smith, my best friend, you are missed badly! Rest in peace, Pop, glad our last years were good. Please pray for Colin, he has ependymoma, a brain cancer, donate to a children's Hospital.

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle
reply to parkut
Well, if it weren't for parkut!

I got my replacement GTS450 from EVGA, and it doesn't work. I get artifacts with it and system crashes and BSODs depending on which of my two computers I put it in. EVGA gave me the third degree and claim it is my computer's fault. They are going to allow me one more RMA. In the hardware help forum this is being discussed.

I will be checking my power supply voltages this weekend, but parkut's card works just fine, as does my very old video card, in the suspect system.

I think that there is a problem with this particular card, and even that folding on it could hose it. Thank goodness the ATI card works just fine and folds well on the suspect system.

The artifacts might be because of a HDMI to mini HDMI adapter, so when I can afford the 10 bucks, I'm ordering a new cable from monoprice next week.

In my backup system, the card causes BSODs, in my main system ("the beast") it locks up.

Why EVGA insisted on using a mini HDMI is very irritating. If the next replacement is faulty also, I won't be buying any more EVGA cards. This is the second card series I've had trouble with with EVGA (A different computer). A member in the other forum reports that he no longer trusts EVGA products due to repeated problems with their products.

In any event, at least I am running thanks to our fellow member and folding.

It's been a kinda cruddy few weeks...
--

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle

1 edit
reply to signmeuptoo
I'd like to know if anyone else here are running EVGA cards and if they've had issues?

EDIT Tuesday 7 PM Eastern 3/26/13:

I've had it with the video card. I've tried diligently for weeks trying to make it work. The EVGA 450GTS card works in my backup system but just won't work on The Beast. Thank goodness for the other card, or the system would be a lost cause.

I suspect windows 8 might be the issue.

I lost a hard drive in the process, due to all the crashes and BSODs. And lost all the data. I am depressed. Years of effort down the tube. It will be a while before I can get another drive.

I am gonna take a break for tonight and pull the drive another day and try and run it with an external USB adapter and see if it will at least run where I can recover the 450 Gigs of stuff on it.

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Now I am trying to think of how to make that lemonade...

On another front, I'm sure happy that the big lottery winner is a humble, hard working, decent guy. But he should have claimed it anonymously...