rocca to silvercat

Premium Member

to silvercat

Re: CRTC Decision

said by silvercat:

Okay Peter, so what is the solution

That I don't know yet.
said by silvercat:

Maybe (on a premium package) have 200 GB as the "base" usage, and then any extra bandwidth used during prime time, pay a fee for that ?

I think the argument would be around how you would decide what part of that initial base was on/offpeak.

If we're talking about a special DSLR type package (ie there would be no way to educate/market this to the masses), likely the most practical one would be that you get a lower monthly fee with 0GB base, all off-peak is free and all on-peak is billed. Not sure what that rate would be but let's say 50 cents for argument sake (could be half, could be double, haven't done the math yet) - this would give technical users the ability to shift big downloads and pay a fair price for their impact on peak and those that avoided prime time all together would have ubercheap service.
said by silvercat:

Edit: Things are *not* looking good in Cogeco areas !

I still shake my head at $25/Mbps, it's like we've gone back ten years.
Crashrun2003
join:2013-02-10

Crashrun2003

said by rocca:

said by silvercat:

That I don't know yet.
said by silvercat:

Maybe (on a premium package) have 200 GB as the "base" usage, and then any extra bandwidth used during prime time, pay a fee for that ?

I think the argument would be around how you would decide what part of that initial base was on/offpeak.

If we're talking about a special DSLR type package (ie there would be no way to educate/market this to the masses), likely the most practical one would be that you get a lower monthly fee with 0GB base, all off-peak is free and all on-peak is billed. Not sure what that rate would be but let's say 50 cents for argument sake (could be half, could be double, haven't done the math yet) - this would give technical users the ability to shift big downloads and pay a fair price for their impact on peak and those that avoided prime time all together would have ubercheap service.
said by silvercat:

I'd be in for that - however that seems like a lot of work, and a very small percentage would actually be able to use it like that in my opinion.
Guru
join:2008-10-01

Guru to rocca

to rocca
said by rocca:

said by silvercat:

That I don't know yet.
said by silvercat:

said by silvercat:

I'm all game but I'd want to know the on-peak price. It sure enough looks like lot of numbers to be calculated...

JC_
Premium Member
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON

1 recommendation

JC_ to rocca

Premium Member

to rocca
said by rocca:

That would be a good option, but if possible maybe included a small amount of usage for use during the peak, say maybe like 10-15GB as that would still allow users to surf the web and do some basic stuff during peak especially for the people with families.
Guru
join:2008-10-01

Guru

said by JC_:

said by rocca:

That would be a good option, but if possible maybe included a small amount of usage for use during the peak, say maybe like 10-15GB as that would still allow users to surf the web and do some basic stuff during peak especially for the people with families.

+1

silvercat
join:2007-11-07

silvercat to rocca

to rocca
said by rocca:

hi rocca:

I very much like this idea. Of course it would have to be figured out when are the off-peak periods, and the time parameters of the on-peak period.

But another situation will have to be considered: the case where you have a family of four (for example). They all like to stream during prime time (Netflix, NHL Gamecenter Live during the hockey season), but you may at the same time, have one or two P2P power users in the family as well. I'm just wondering if this plan (0 GB base) would work for that situation as well, or if prime time usage would get way too expensive. If we cost prime time usage at 50 cents per GB and our example family uses on average 6 GB during prime time per day (180 GB / month), that would be $90.00 for on-peak usage. 40 cents per GB might be better

However you work this package out (if it indeed becomes reality), you could advertise it on the Start website. Perhaps call it the Power User package or the P2P Package. Maybe "ordinary" users will not understand how the specifics of this package work, but the more techie ones will.
Josh7890
join:2013-02-26
Peterborough, ON

Josh7890 to rocca

to rocca

said by rocca See Profile

I would definitely be interested in a package like this. I'd happily pay for the actual cost plus a reasonable markup for on-peak usage if off-peak was free. I see why it would be confusing for the average customer, but as an non-advertised or explicitly "technical user" option, I think it would be great. Having the price reflect the actual costs is only fair.

Of course, it would help if IISPs' costs to the incumbents weren't so inflated. Then we probably wouldn't need to have this discussion.

silvercat
join:2007-11-07

silvercat

Of course the usage stats on the Start website would have to change to reflect what bandwidth consumption is on-peak, and what amount is off-peak.

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

1 edit

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by silvercat:

Of course the usage stats on the Start website would have to change to reflect what bandwidth usage (consumption) is on-peak, and what amount is off-peak.

While you have presented good ideas, this conversation would proceed much better and with less confusion if you (and others) would stop referring to the GB of Data Usage as 'Bandwidth'.

Usage = Transfer = Traffic = Consumption (most commonly measured in GigaBytes of actual data transferred, often stated on a 'per month' basis)

This is especially important now, since we HAVE another term to consider where the expression 'Bandwidth' IS the same - CAPACITY.

Capacity = Demand = Speed = Bandwidth (most commonly measured in Mbits or Gbits per second)

Thanks.