Premium
join:2001-08-22
Westville, NJ
kudos:7
Reviews:
·Comcast

2 recommendations

Avast Reputation Shield

I noticed lately my browser, Firefox 18.0.2 has been slow to load occasionally and sometimes page loads take much longer then they should, seemingly endless query loops.

For a short time I thought I may have had and unwanted guest but then I checked Avast for any setting changes caused by and automatic update and I found this little gem...

A cloud based Reputation Shield. I'm assuming this was installed from a recent update?

I immediately thought it must be the culprit. It's cloud based meaning it has query an online database with each click of the mouse while surfing the Net. I disabled it and so far my browser has returned to normal.

Just thought I'd save someone else the headache of troubleshooting their own browser.
--
Stop The Mindless Killings Stop Over Fishing

Raphion

join:2000-10-14
Samsara

1 recommendation

I had noticed a slowdown lately, I guess that's probably the culprit. It seems to only impact sites on first load of the session though. I'll leave it on for now, since it's not too bad, and I like layers =p

dolphins
Clean Up Our Oceans
Premium
Westville, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

Yes, but I wonder if browser settings can increase the amount of query time and recurrence for such an application, e.g., opening windows in a new tab, not allowing browser history or cookies to be saved? Or having other protections in place like NoScript, Adblock, Flashblock, etc? It seems only logical that those would be factors.

All being said, I would not say this application is so much, intrusive, but more of a general annoyance.
--

Cudni
La Merma - Vigilado
Premium,MVM
join:2003-12-20
Someshire
kudos:13
reply to dolphins
Of course all those things you mentioned will be contributing factors. If it causes slowdown on your machine, simply disable it just as I would leave it enabled if it works fine on some other comp

Cudni
--
"what we know we know the same, what we don't know, we don't know it differently."
Help yourself so God can help you.
Microsoft MVP, 2006 - 2012/13

dolphins
Clean Up Our Oceans
Premium
Westville, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

Yes, obviously as you can see I did disable it. Just to be clear, my intentions for this thread was an FYI and not to bash what I believe is the #1 anti-virus, free or paid. I would also like to point out that my intentions should not be construed as argumentative but rather just thinking out loud.
--

knarf829

join:2007-06-02
kudos:1

2 edits
reply to dolphins
said by dolphins:

It's cloud based meaning it has query an online database with each click of the mouse while surfing the Net.

If you read the description on the screen where you can enable/disable it, it's a file reputation database, not a web site reputation database.

It's not querying an online database upon each web page load.

It is protecting you from threats that may have surfaced since the last signature file was created.

It's not called "Reputation Shield"

The Web Site Reputation functionality you describe is found a browser extension (for Firefox, at least), and also there is "Web Shield," which scans pages in real time as you visit them, in the "Real Time Shields" section of the program.

dolphins
Clean Up Our Oceans
Premium
Westville, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

Click for full size
You seem to be getting your information from somewhere other than Avast?

»www.avast.com/pr-avast-software-···an-files
--

knarf829

No, I'm comprehending the information on the screen at the link you provided. Give it a try.

The FileRep feature in the new avast! 7 accelerates malware detection thanks to its “in-the-cloud” database of clean files, improving detection of new and emerging threats.

“Once a new file has been opened a few hundred times, we have a good idea if it is malicious or not,” said Ondrej Vlcek, CTO of AVAST Software. “Then we communicate this information with all of our users.”

FileRep incorporates an “in-the-cloud” database of files to help the antivirus scanning engine make more intelligent decisions as it flags potential malware. The FileRep database includes several billion executable files with additional files added daily. The FileRep feature is included in all avast! 7 variants including avast! Free Antivirus and the premium Internet Security.
It is a file reputation database like it says, not a web site reputation database like you said, and, therefore, has nothing to do with your browsing speed or your web browser at all.

It doesn't do anything "with each click of the mouse while surfing the Net" as you said, it checks new files against its "several billion executable files" in real time.

dolphins
Clean Up Our Oceans
Premium
Westville, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast

2 recommendations

You really don't deserve a reply but since you're posting misleading information I think it should be clarified for the readers sake.

1st, No where in any of my posts did I say it was a “website reputation database” and take notice my posts have not been edited unlike yours.

READ the graphic attachment I posted!

What part of “querying the Avast file reputation database” don't you understand?

AND

If you read the link I provided, scroll down to
quote:
Additional data categories tracked in FileRep are file distribution, the source URL, and digital signature status.
Hmmm... file distribution, source URL, digital signature status? Starting to sound more like a website reputation database isn't it? How ironic.

I'll admit when I posted this thread with all good intentions I was still yet unclear of how the application works. But, I did know that it was hindering my page loads and initial browser start up with excessive query times, which was confirmed by another poster as well. Hmmm... Well, how can that be if it has nothing to do with my web browser? I still have not researched this enough to know exactly how this application works but I do know that since disabling it, my browser performance is back to normal.

I don't know why you felt the need to single me out and launch an attack on my comprehension skills when it appears that you are the one lacking in that area?
--

knarf829

Are you joking? You misrepresented what the feature does and - on a trusted INTERNET SECURITY FORUM advised people to decrease their INTERNET SECURITY and disable this feature based on a false premise.

You said it was checking against every mouse click on the net and slowing down your browser speed. It isn't and wasn't. It checks the files you download - not your browsing. It has nothing to do with your browser. And it's not a "Reputation Shield"

Everything you said about it was patently incorrect, and if people were to follow your advice THEIR SYSTEMS WOULD BE LESS SECURE FOR IT.

So, yeah, I'm going to point that fact out.

Ian
Premium
join:2002-06-18
ON
kudos:3

1 recommendation

said by knarf829:

Everything you said about it was patently incorrect, and if people were to follow your advice THEIR SYSTEMS WOULD BE LESS SECURE FOR IT.

So, yeah, I'm going to point that fact out.

Why the hostility? Work for Alwil or something? He wasn't offering advice, he was commenting how Avast! slowed Firefox down for him, and that Avast! was found to be the culprit, via this online database query. I think the adults reading the topic are fully capable of making a decision about whether or not to disable it.

I already made the decision to ditch Avast after the last update fiasco and with the drive-by installation of Chrome.

To be blunt, there's a certain amount of security "risk" I'm willing to undertake in exchange for performance. I doubt I'm alone. My choice, as well as the original posters. Frankly, I wouldn't really be wild about every damned link I click being uploaded to Avast! for simple privacy reasons as well.
--
“Any claim that the root of a problem is simple should be treated the same as a claim that the root of a problem is Bigfoot. Simplicity and Bigfoot are found in the real world with about the same frequency.” – David Wong

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5
reply to knarf829
Wow. All you need is Realtime shield. Nothing else. Avast, like most AV these days, is chock full of unnecessary junk. I never ran any of those extraneous shields when I used Avast. I prefer Windows Defender on my new Win 8 Pro computer for its simplicity....like other AV used to be before they lost their way.

I especially will not use ANYTHING cloud based. My privacy matters to me.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

knarf829

2 recommendations

You don't seem to understand that the database in question feeds the Realtime Shield as a supplement to the signature file. It's like saying I don't want to download the latest signature file because I cherish my privacy and don't want Avast getting my IP address.

Some people don't mind being vulnerable to 0day attacks I guess. You're free to wait until a threat makes it into the signature file. As for me, I don't think protection from 0day attacks is extraneous unnecessary junk. That's where most of the threats lie.

So, yeah, go ahead and advise people to turn if off and let them make the decision to be more vulnerable. Just be ACCURATE in describing what it is and what it does when you do.

If your level of privacy paranoia is such that you won't use a vital service because it says the word "cloud" in it, you shouldn't be connected to the internet. The whole thing is in the cloud.

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
The correct advice is to take responsibility to LEARN about computers and how to use them safely. The average user will not do this. They give various excuses for what amounts to laziness. Unwillingness to take responsibility and to instead tell yourself that some third party application can save you from yourself is what most people do.

If a person practices safe hex at all times, has a reasonably good understanding of how to use a computer safely, and exercises self restraint when using the internet instead of acting like a spoiled brat they will not need all the shields that Avast offers. They will also not need to bleed their privacy.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

knarf829

Well, of course. That's called utopia. Good luck with that.

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI

1 recommendation

It is not utopia. I do it. I don't live in utopia. You jumped on me for telling the truth. If the truth was told often enough then more users would stop acting like spoiled brats and become responsible adults.
--