spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

bgc

join:2003-01-23
Fort Smith, AR

[ALL] Mot. SB6121 vs Cisco Docsis 3 modem?

The local office said the Docsis 3 modems they had for sale were Cisco, not sure of model. Is there any reason to choose the Cisco over the Motorola SB6121? I have the preferred tier so I don't need the Docsis 3 but thought the channel bonding might be some benefit.

Thanks,
BGC

m8trix

join:2003-12-24
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

the cisco will be a 8x4 modem vs the 4x4 of the 6121, as for which one is better its a toss up now a days, if you want a moto get 6141 which is 8x4 with a built in moca filter, i have this modem myself and upgraded from the 6120

»www.amazon.com/Motorola-SurfBoar···urfboard

Optimus2357
Premium
join:2010-11-21
West Warwick, RI
kudos:3
reply to bgc

I believe some markets also offer the Motorola SB6180 at the retail stores, which is also a 8x4. Diagnostics are better on Motorola but some of it comes down to personal preference and how your local area implements DOCSIS. Another words, personal results will vary.

bchandler02

join:2011-07-08
Oklahoma City, OK
reply to bgc

I have both. The DPC3010 (cisco) has the technical advantage of 8x4 bonding. The 612x (I have a 6121) is 4x4, but unless you are going on one of the new premium tiers it won't make any difference.

On preferred, 4x4 should be fine for now. Save your money for later when the upgrade will actually matter in a few years.

The Motos seem slightly more stable and you can see more diagnostic info with them, so my preference is the Moto.