share rss forum feed

ebgbjo
Sewing is cheaper than therapy
Premium
join:2007-09-14
USA

[Rant] FB charging 5$ to message non-friends

Tried to message someone who I am not friends with and this is what I got

You aren't connected to XXXX on Facebook, so your message would normally get filtered to his Other folder. You can:

Send this message to his Inbox for $5.00 USD

REALLY FACEBOOK!!??

Oedipus

join:2005-05-09
kudos:1

I'm not on Facebook, but if you google "send this message to his inbox for $5.00 USD," this thread is the top result.

I think that means something.

ebgbjo
Premium
USA

Click for full size
Not sure what you are implying. I have found more results
and here is part of my screenshot

»www.cbsnews.com/8301-205_162-575···friends/

fatness
subtle
Premium,ex-mod 01-13
join:2000-11-17
fishing
kudos:14
reply to ebgbjo

quote:
Q: "If I'm not connected to someone on Facebook, how can I make sure a message reaches their inbox?"

A: "Messages you send to someone you're not connected to on Facebook may arrive in their Other folder. You may have the option of paying to route these messages to their inbox. When this delivery option is available, you'll see the price beneath your message.

Because we limit the number of messages a person can receive in their inbox from people they're not connected to, you may not always have this delivery option."
»www.facebook.com/help/community/···48760695
--
here comes leadership

ebgbjo
Premium
USA

Ridiculous. When you get "other" messages, you don't even get notifications. I know I don't. I have a whole bunch of "other" messages that I was never even aware of being sent. It is stupid to charge people 5$, and supposedly going to be 1$ for friends, to send a damn PM. (Don't get any ideas, JUSTIN)

fatness
subtle
Premium,ex-mod 01-13
fishing

3 recommendations

That will be $3 please.

ebgbjo
Premium
USA

Don't worry, I won't PM you, chimp

No_Strings
Premium,MVM,Ex-Mod 2008-13
join:2001-11-22
The OC
kudos:6

2 recommendations

reply to ebgbjo

I don't know what 5$ is, but if you offer people $3 to be your friend, you'll save $2.

M A R S
Premium
join:2001-06-15
Long Island
reply to ebgbjo

This will be the end of shitty facebook, email wins

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
kudos:3
reply to ebgbjo

said by ebgbjo:

Don't worry, I won't PM you, chimp

Please pay a monthly fee of $10 per 100 posts.
--
»Death Star Petition

chip89
Premium
join:2012-07-05
Independence, OH

Don't give Justin any more ideas!

Expand your moderator at work

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
reply to M A R S

Re: [Rant] FB charging 5$ to message non-friends

said by M A R S:

This will be the end of shitty facebook, email wins

Nope - people will either pay because they are - not the smartest or they will do what I would do - not message non-friends. It is that simple.
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

jadinolf
I Love You Fred
Premium
join:2005-07-09
Ojai, CA
kudos:8
Reviews:
·DSL EXTREME

1 edit
reply to ebgbjo

said by ebgbjo:

Tried to message someone who I am not friends with and this is what I got

You aren't connected to XXXX on Facebook, so your message would normally get filtered to his Other folder. You can:

Send this message to his Inbox for $5.00 USD

REALLY FACEBOOK!!??

Heck, they've got to make money too.
--
Printed on 100% recycled bytes

fatness
subtle
Premium,ex-mod 01-13
fishing
reply to ebgbjo

Doesn't facebook have settings for each member to decide from whom they'll accept messages and from whom they won't?

What the $5 appears to be is a fee to allow member A to override the privacy settings of member B. I'd be more upset about allowing the privacy settings to be overridden than about the amount of the fee.
--
here comes leadership

ebgbjo
Premium
USA

No, it has nothing to do with privacy settings.
If I message non-friends; say someone from high school whom I haven't friended yet, my mayor whom I haven't friend, someone in my husbands military chain of command I haven't friended, and so on, I get a message that since they are not currently on my friends list, I need to either pay up, or mail is only going to go into the "other in box"

Sometimes I need to message people that I am not fb friends to either confirm they are the right person I went to school with at one time, served in the military with, etc. or to communicate with parents that attend son's school, inquire about items posted to my wall (local business posts information about people selling locally made products and includes their fb profile link, and many other reasons.

Warzau
Premium
join:2000-10-26
Naperville, IL

The second part is how I used to confirm that a person whom I thought I went to HS was indeed that person. NOW with FB charging to Message people who are not your friends is ridiculous.

fatness
subtle
Premium,ex-mod 01-13
fishing
reply to ebgbjo

said by ebgbjo:

No, it has nothing to do with privacy settings.
If I message non-friends; say someone from high school whom I haven't friended yet, my mayor whom I haven't friend, someone in my husbands military chain of command I haven't friended, and so on, I get a message that since they are not currently on my friends list, I need to either pay up, or mail is only going to go into the "other in box"

That appears to be their choice made through their privacy settings.

quote:
Who can contact me? Message filters have been added to replace the previous “who can send you Facebook messages option.” This option works like a spam filter, and only displays messages in your inbox from friends and people you may know. For more details about this feature, select the Learn More option. You will be redirected to the Facebook Help Center. You can also control who is able to send you friend requests from this option.Updated 2/14/2013
»www.slideshare.net/NavalOPSEC/fa···16532595
--
here comes leadership

AMDUSER
Premium
join:2003-05-28
Earth,

1 recommendation

reply to DarkLogix

That will be $1 per day, for avatar privileges.. back dated to-2008-10-23.

ebgbjo
Premium
USA

1 edit
reply to fatness

fatness... did you not read the link I posted about the new charges being tested out on some people? lol. Trust me, it has nothing to do with the privacy settings of the people I am trying to contact

»www.cbsnews.com/8301-205_162-575···friends/

»www.google.com/search?sourceid=c···+message

»www.google.com/search?sourceid=c···+message

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WMvrO_Y81k

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGQMuZWKlXQ

Most people are saying it is just $1, but I was given the $5 rate

fatness
subtle
Premium,ex-mod 01-13
fishing

1 recommendation

said by ebgbjo:

fatness... did you not read the link I posted about the new charges being tested out on some people? lol. Trust me, it has nothing to do with the privacy settings of the people I am trying to contact

Some people are being charged $1 and some are being charged $5 -- yes I'm aware of that. I'm also aware that it's only charged when the member you're sending to has their privacy settings set a certain way, which was in the link I posted.

If you're OK with paying $1 but not $5 that wasn't clear at all in your initial post which took exception to having to pay, period.

--
here comes leadership

grobinette
Southeast of disorder
Premium,Mod
join:2001-01-27
Springfield, VA
kudos:2
reply to ebgbjo

So they are trying to slow down spam. I don't disagree with that.

It would make better sense to flag messages sent to multiple recipients because those are more likely to be spam. Say if someone had 10,000 names in the to: then charge them a dollar or five or whatever per name and then see if they want to spam that many people.

Then again, some things that Facebook does do not appear to be well thought out.

Rob_
Premium
join:2008-07-16
Mary Esther, FL
reply to ebgbjo

Why give a bunch of billionaires more money? I got this today - if there going to prevent scammers why not just use a captura, or whatever it's called.

-Rob

Expand your moderator at work

Woody79_00
I run Linux am I still a PC?
Premium
join:2004-07-08
united state
reply to Rob_

Re: [Rant] FB charging 5$ to message non-friends

This is all just Facebook "testing the waters" to see how much it can push its users to extract money from them without them leaving.

in the next 6 months to a year or so...you will begin to see Facebook charging $1 to message anyone...if they are on your friends list or not...and of course..95% of the Facebook user base will gladly just bend over and take this one.

I haven't had a Facebook account in nearly 3 years, and i don't miss it....don't need it.

I talk to more people now without Facebook then i ever did when I had it...so its a win-win for me!