Search similar:

uniqs
nysports4evr
Premium Member
join:2010-01-23

nysports4evr

Premium Member

Best Usenet provider

Been having trouble with deleted articles on supernews & ngroups. What's the best provider around now?
Rojo31
join:2009-04-14
New York, NY

Rojo31

Lots of changes going on in this field.
Most nsp's offer time-limited free or very cheap trial periods. Best thing to do is to check some out and decide which one is right for you.
A long term commitment to any one of them is no longer practical.

Exodus
Your Daddy
Premium Member
join:2001-11-26
Earth

Exodus to nysports4evr

Premium Member

to nysports4evr
You're not going to find one. Even if you do, you'll find one for a short while and then end up having to go elsewhere.

I've come to the realization that I simply have to grab content as soon as its available with 3rd-party software, or it won't be available within a few days.

Grabbing older content is difficult and your best bet is going to be VPN torrents.

Kosh
We are all Kosh
Premium Member
join:2005-11-16
Z'ha'dum

Kosh to nysports4evr

Premium Member

to nysports4evr
Unfortunately the consolidation of providers has made takedowns very simple and there is no panacea provider, european, american or otherwise.

A handful of letters to the big backbones (Astra, Read, Highwinds, Giga) ensures that pretty much no one (including their resellers) will have content beyond a certain point. Long retention times mean nothing now.

Archivis pretty much nailed the rest.
JazzJRabbit
join:2003-09-27
Wheaton, IL

JazzJRabbit

Sadly this is true. I have signed up for free account at xsusenet which is Dutch only provider and even they get DMCA'ed or whatever is the Dutch equivalent within 10 hours of posting. I'll be trying more providers, however, it looks like purchasing cheap block accounts from multiple providers might be the best option from now on. If one provider gets taken down, use block account from another one.

El Quintron
Cancel Culture Ambassador
Premium Member
join:2008-04-28
Tronna

1 recommendation

El Quintron to nysports4evr

Premium Member

to nysports4evr
I've been having a harder time lately as well, it's still fine if you're looking for non-mainstream, or very old content, because the **AAs simply don't care, but if you're looking for the latest and greatest, Usenet won't be your best bet.

HonEkut
join:2002-03-19
Scotch Plains, NJ

1 recommendation

HonEkut to nysports4evr

to nysports4evr
Astraweb still works for me ... Just have to be faster these days ... Use Sickbeard !

They won the battle not the war !
det427
Premium Member
join:2004-01-31
Santa Rosa, CA

det427 to nysports4evr

Premium Member

to nysports4evr
The best provider is have multiple providers from both USA and Europe. I have 4 block accounts! I don't download a lot but I usually have completes!
activoice
join:2008-02-10
York, ON

activoice to nysports4evr

to nysports4evr
I've been with Easynews for over 12 years, they've been having a lot of problems lately, but I've been able to get what I want using a combination of them and a BlockNews account that I purchased in December of 2010... only used about 70gb of a 100gb block in 2 years.

Also as a few have said the key is to grab things before they are DMCA'd. To help with that I check a couple of times a day to see what's been posted using my phone's web browser. Then I've got an Iphone app that will upload the NZB files to a PC I have that's running SABNZBD. I can grab an NZB at any time of day with my phone, and it'll be sitting there when I get home.

juilinsandar
Texas Gooner
Premium Member
join:2000-07-17
San Benito, TX

juilinsandar to Exodus

Premium Member

to Exodus
said by Exodus:

You're not going to find one. Even if you do, you'll find one for a short while and then end up having to go elsewhere.

I've come to the realization that I simply have to grab content as soon as its available with 3rd-party software, or it won't be available within a few days.

I completely agree. Sickbeard and sabnzbd work pretty well for me.

I need to learn about vpn torrenting.

sfl0w
join:2010-07-20
Birmingham, AL

sfl0w to nysports4evr

to nysports4evr
No one single news provider is the answer anymore, you need a good primary account (Newshosting for me) and a backup account from a netherlands provider, sorry I am not saying which for obvious reasons.

signmeuptoo94
Bless you Howie
Premium Member
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle

1 recommendation

signmeuptoo94 to nysports4evr

Premium Member

to nysports4evr
We need to send Triumph, the insult comic dog, to poop on the RIAA and MPAA.
cOOLguy
join:2009-09-10
Suncook, NH

1 edit

cOOLguy

You can find out how the DMCA take process is now real time by googling "Pursuit Pirates" in for NEWS (not web).

Then open the Wall Street Journal Article.
jimboe
join:2000-08-14
New York

jimboe

not one word re: nntp in there.
cOOLguy
join:2009-09-10
Suncook, NH

cOOLguy

not one mention of NNTP in my post, Jimboe.

However, most of us realize that posts are being taken down within hours, and its easy to adapt the system in the WSJ article to usenet, if it is not adapted already.
jimboe
join:2000-08-14
New York

jimboe

said by cOOLguy:

not one mention of NNTP in my post, Jimboe.

No, but this topic is specifically about usenet, so I was a lil confused after finishing the WSJ article (good read BTW)

I didn't get that you were just extrapolating a commentary about usenet from the article... I see what you're after now.
Drago5
join:2012-12-05

Drago5 to nysports4evr

to nysports4evr
Has someone experience with Dutch NNTP providers? Are they better as US?
St0ry
join:2004-02-16
USA

St0ry to nysports4evr

to nysports4evr
Dutch providers are better but the EU has their own version of DMCA so posts are still being taken down, just not as quickly as US based providers.
Rojo31
New York, NY

1 recommendation

Rojo31 to nysports4evr

to nysports4evr
»www.pureusenet.nl/
One week free trial.
zod5000
join:2003-10-21
Victoria, BC

zod5000 to St0ry

to St0ry
said by St0ry:

Dutch providers are better but the EU has their own version of DMCA so posts are still being taken down, just not as quickly as US based providers.

One would hope that some industrious non-eu non-american person would attempt to start up a provider outside the EU and the US?

Martinus
Premium Member
join:2001-08-06
EU

Martinus to Rojo31

Premium Member

to Rojo31
Do they have an English version of their site?

My Dutch is a bit rusty.
Rojo31
New York, NY

1 recommendation

Rojo31

Don't know but you can always drop a foreign word, phrase or even the URL into the translate box on Google. Adjust the preferences if necessary.
»translate.google.com/

Martinus
Premium Member
join:2001-08-06
EU

Martinus

Premium Member

said by Rojo31:

Don't know but you can always drop a foreign word, phrase or even the URL into the translate box on Google. Adjust the preferences if necessary.
»translate.google.com/

Thanks, Rojo31 See Profile, but I can't seem to find the one week free trial offer.
Rojo31
New York, NY

2 edits

1 recommendation

Rojo31

Pick a package, click on Read More. Free trial is in the sign-up process.
»translate.google.com/tra ··· &act=url

FYI, I am not a subscriber. Just passed along an .nl provider I came across.
flyinonice4
join:2009-06-12
Phoenix, AZ

flyinonice4

I can't get to the trial portion. The only options I get are a month or above. Were you able to see a trial when signing up (I know you didn't subscribe but you said it was in the signup process)

Whalepunch
@rr.com

Whalepunch to Martinus

Anon

to Martinus
said by Martinus:

My Dutch is a bit rusty.

Chrome by default gives you the option to translate any page.
90115534 (banned)
Someone is sabotaging me.Finding out who
join:2001-06-03
Kenner, LA

90115534 (banned)

said by Whalepunch :

said by Martinus:

My Dutch is a bit rusty.

Chrome by default gives you the option to translate any page.

Chrome sucks.

Exodus
Your Daddy
Premium Member
join:2001-11-26
Earth

Exodus

Premium Member

Explain.
Expand your moderator at work