JackBauer

join:2006-08-24
Schenectady, NY
reply to PoloDude

Re: [HD] STB Exchange

said by PoloDude:

said by ITALIAN926:

Left hand, right foot.

And neither can find the ass sometimes. They just don't want to write off these old STBs. It pains me to install them.

My guess is they want to minimize the 7232 procurements as their longer term strategy is moving to the media server as their base platform offering, and using that eventually for IPTV.

Greg2600

join:2008-05-20
Belleville, NJ
reply to PJL

My guess is almost all the 6000 installs are for free STB/DVR promotions on new customers. Just for the reason of not doing an HD guide, I cannot understand how they keep sending these out.

matcarl
Premium
join:2007-03-09
Franklin Square, NY
reply to PJL

said by PJL:

said by MagScribe:

I have Ultimate -- or whatever the maximum package is. There was no charge and the boxes came with UPS shipping labels to return their 6200 predecessors. One stumbling block: while the first box is great, the second box appears to be a refurb that wasn't fixed. It doesn't want to secure to the network...I have to see about getting it swapped out.

Too bad about the technical problem, but you're getting there. I figured Ultimate would be eligible, so I'm still waiting to see if someone with Extreme qualifies. If Extreme qualifies then we know it gets the new HD channels too.

I have Extreme. I went to the In Home Agent and it said I have one box that qualifies, which I do, and it asked if I want a replacement, but I didn't say yes yet.

PJL

join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA
kudos:2

said by matcarl:

said by PJL:

...so I'm still waiting to see if someone with Extreme qualifies. If Extreme qualifies then we know it gets the new HD channels too.

I have Extreme. I went to the In Home Agent and it said I have one box that qualifies, which I do, and it asked if I want a replacement, but I didn't say yes yet.

Matcarl, thanks for the confirmation! I'm optimistic now that I'll get all of the HD additions with my Extreme package, which is the current one. Now if a Prime subscriber can report their experience.....
You might want to get ahead of the pack and place the order now. When people either find the menu item or Verizon adds an HD channel and get the subscriber gets the screen prompt, it may take longer to get the upgraded STB. I would think it would be difficult for Verizon to support the turn-around time experienced by MagScribe if many are requesting the upgrade at the same time.

PhillyDog

join:2002-10-27
Smithtown, NY
reply to PJL

I did this change about three weeks ago. I went to look at the free preview of some NHL package and it said my box needed to be upgraded. It went to the exchange set top box screen and I chose both my HD box and DVR. The new 7xxx versions came in two days, I just swapped out my boxes into the ones that came and put new UPS sticker (which came inside) and dropped them off at UPS drop off store. It was quick and the only issue I had was that when Verizon received my boxes the person who signed off on them either didn't scan one of them to de-activate it because it was showing up still on my network. I had to call Verizon and spend about 45 minutes to get it cleared off. So I would tell anyone to save your UPS tracking number just in case.

PJL

Long Beach, CA
reply to PJL

Anyone with just Prime want to check to see if they qualify for the free STB upgrade?

Greg2600

Belleville, NJ
reply to PJL

Does this work on a free DVR?

PJL

Long Beach, CA

said by Greg2600:

Does this work on a free DVR?

Not sure what you mean. But probably if you mean you're getting your DVR for no charge per month. Give it a try using the STB menu.

Greg2600

Belleville, NJ
reply to PJL

That's what I mean. I have no DVR's, friend of mine does. I'll tell him to try it.

Silver_2000
Premium
join:2005-12-12
Carrollton, TX
reply to PJL

I have the same email and one of the DVRs is going away

Any one have an success with the Menu item that claims to store your series info in the cloud ? " Export Series to cloud "

Does it work ?

MagScribe

join:2001-08-20
West Chester, PA
reply to PJL

It took three tries with VZ support, but I finally got a human in Texas and he spent an hour on the phone with me, working to talk to my sick box and amazingly, brought it back to life. The box wasn't provisioned properly, it seems.

My old 6200s shipped out today — and yes, I kept copies of the shipping labels and tracking numbers.

So, far, so good. Oh...and they gave me a free pay-per-view movie for my troubles.
--
I do local news. My top site: www.unionvilletimes.com

PJL

Long Beach, CA

said by MagScribe:

It took three tries with VZ support, but I finally got a human in Texas and he spent an hour on the phone with me, working to talk to my sick box and amazingly, brought it back to life. The box wasn't provisioned properly, it seems.

My old 6200s shipped out today — and yes, I kept copies of the shipping labels and tracking numbers.

So, far, so good. Oh...and they gave me a free pay-per-view movie for my troubles.

Congratulations, you seem to have gotten a tech that really wanted to help and knew their stuff, rather than one that didn't care and could have just sent you a new STB to fix the problem without spending time to fix it.

tnsprin

join:2003-07-23
Bradenton, FL
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to PJL

said by PJL:

said by Fgdfh :

This isn't new.

There have been an "exchange" type menu choices in past IMG revisons before.

Not in my VHO that I can recall, and not with the explicit statements concerning network changes, added HD channels, and incompatibility with 6xxx STBs.

Note that should be in all VHO's and the new planned changes in April make a lot more people eligible for the free exchange.

New impacted channels
IMPACTED CHANNELS
ES.TV 558
HBO Family 906
ESPN Goal Line/Buzzer Beater 571
HBO Family (West) 907
Tennis Channel 592
HBO Latino 912
World Fishing Network 597
HBO Latino West 913
Cars.TV 599
MoreMax (West) 923
Pets.TV 633
Action Max 924
MyDestination.TV 674
Thriller Max 926
Recipe.TV 676
W Max 928
Comedy.TV 695
At Max 929
MGM HD 744
ESPN 3D 1002

Nezmo
The name's Bond. James Bond.
Premium,MVM
join:2004-11-10
Coppell, TX
reply to PJL

I read all the various threads about STB exchanges with surprise. When the 16:9 guide was on the horizon for my VHO I unplugged my three 6xxx boxes, walked in a local VZ store and walked out with three 7xxx boxes, no charge. I did have technical and billing issues for months afterwards but the exchange itself was free and all I see is talk in here about avoiding upgrade fees. What's the issue? Are people actually getting charged to change boxes out?
--
My Gallery
Formerly Nezmo

JPL
Premium
join:2007-04-04
Downingtown, PA
kudos:4

I think the issue is in having the boxes drop-shipped. If you go to your Verizon store, then yeah, you can upgrade for free. If you go to get a box drop-shipped, you pay for it (I think it's $10), unless they're sending you a replacement for a faulty box. What I understand, for this case, is that they'll ship you a new box for free, if you have a 6xxx series box, and you get one of the channels that they're converting.

I was surprised that I didn't get the e-mail from Verizon, but all the people I know who have 6xxx boxes did. My brother just put in to have his 6416 replaced through this offer.

Greg2600

Belleville, NJ
reply to tnsprin

said by tnsprin:

Note that should be in all VHO's and the new planned changes in April make a lot more people eligible for the free exchange.

I think all of the channels being moved are in the Ultimate package.

PJL

Long Beach, CA

said by Greg2600:

said by tnsprin:

ESPN Goal Line/Buzzer Beater 571 is in the Extreme package.

amarryat
Verizon FiOS

join:2005-05-02
Marshfield, MA
reply to PJL

I got the email Tuesday, went to the menu Tuesday evening and saw that I qualify to exchange my 6x series DVR, it shipped Wednesday, and I received it today, despite getting a foot of snow today.

tnsprin

join:2003-07-23
Bradenton, FL
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Greg2600

said by Greg2600:

said by tnsprin:

Goal line/Buzzer Beater, HBO/Cinemax are not in the Ultimate package. Extreme for goal line and seperate Premium package for HBO/Cinemax. So lots more people impacted.

thatdood

join:2002-07-03
Plano, TX
reply to PJL

Does anyone know if they are shipping the new 7232 DVR when you go through this process? I just submitted my request to replace my 6xxx HD STB and my 6xxx MRDVR STB.

rmckofke

join:2001-05-15
Staten Island, NY

I have a local store that I usually go to when I swap/replace a STB, I assume I can do the same with this exchange?

Also, this might be a side topic but are the new 7XXX boxes "better" than they were a few months ago? I recall reading threads where the boxes were problematic, and that the DVR's in particular were buggy so I kept my 6XXX DVR. I would love to upgrade to a 500GB drive but not at the expense of having to deal with buggy equipment.

webcobbler

join:2013-03-09
Rumson, NJ

I believe the 7216 silver DVR has been retrofitted for a 500GB HD. It used to have 160GB HD, (That's why it has 16 at the end).

It is still slower than the 7232, (originally suppose to have 320GB HD, but put in the 500GB to please customers by motorola), but I believe that is what everyone will get when they upgrade using this method from the TV. You will get the silver DVR.

You can always go into your local store and exchange for a 7100 p2 black regular HD STB, and also pay the one-time $40 dollar fee for the 7232...if you choose.

I got the 7232 two years ago and paid that fee. Best money I ever spent on a DVR. I never have needed to replace it yet.

thatdood

join:2002-07-03
Plano, TX
reply to thatdood

My neighbor dropped off the two boxes that UPS delivered to the wrong house yesterday.

Ended up getting the new 7232 and the new black 7100. Just a few weeks ago Verizon wanted me to pay $40 per box for these. I told them to pound rocks.

webcobbler

join:2013-03-09
Rumson, NJ

That is pretty cool that you got the 7232 for free. I got that STB 2 years ago, but was willing to pay the $40 bucks because it had the 500GB HD and was much faster than the 7216 DVR. At that time, the 7216 did not have the retrofitted 500GB HD in it.

I still have the 7100 silver HD STB only because it has the clock on it. Otherwise, i'd love to have the more powerful black 7100 p2.

Steely
I rise when the sun goes down
Premium
join:2000-10-15
Princeton Junction, NJ
reply to PJL

I got two replacement 7100 boxes through the swap-out program. Both have minor wear-and-tear marks and are obvious retreads, but the funny thing is that one of them consistently displays the wrong time (exactly 4 hours earlier) and gives me free access to all the HBO channels, which I canceled almost two months ago. I've tried the various In-Home Agent fixes and reboots, but nothing ever changes...so it looks like I'm "stuck" with free HBO for now, at least on that one replacement box!

matcarl
Premium
join:2007-03-09
Franklin Square, NY

I wonder if that box was ever taken off the previous customer's account. Maybe they had HBO?

Steely
I rise when the sun goes down
Premium
join:2000-10-15
Princeton Junction, NJ

1 edit

I don't know, but I get all the channels I'm supposed to get....plus HBO! The 4-hour time difference makes me think the box was previously used on the West Coast before the change to Daylight Saving Time...and it got stuck there!

billhere

join:2011-10-21
Santa Monica, CA

This has nothing to do with set-top boxes, but for about a week after Verizon sent me a replacement router from West Chester, PA, the location service on my iPod Touch thought I was in Virginia.

wmcbrine
213 251 145 96

join:2002-12-30
Laurel, MD

said by billhere:

This has nothing to do with set-top boxes, but for about a week after Verizon sent me a replacement router from West Chester, PA, the location service on my iPod Touch thought I was in Virginia.

Coincidence. Those services are based on IP addresses, and your address changed when you changed your router -- but it also changes when, e.g., the power goes out -- as well as, potentially, at any random time. The IP addresses come from a pool, so the service thinks you're at whatever location it last had for that IP, until you or someone (or something?) else updates it.
--
09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

kes601

join:2007-04-14
Virginia Beach, VA

said by wmcbrine:

said by billhere:

Coincidence. Those services are based on IP addresses, and your address changed when you changed your router -- but it also changes when, e.g., the power goes out -- as well as, potentially, at any random time. The IP addresses come from a pool, so the service thinks you're at whatever location it last had for that IP, until you or someone (or something?) else updates it.

Not necessarily. Apple (and other) wifi devices use location services based upon where a particular WiFi network is physically broadcasting from. If the router was refurbished and previously in VA, then the iPod Touch could very much think the router was in VA.

»gps.about.com/od/glossary/g/wifi···tion.htm