share rss forum feed

UnnDunn
Premium
join:2005-12-21
Brooklyn, NY
reply to tnsprin

Re: [HD] STB Exchange

said by tnsprin:

Goal line/Buzzer Beater, HBO/Cinemax are not in the Ultimate package. Extreme for goal line and seperate Premium package for HBO/Cinemax. So lots more people impacted.

NYC Metro has HBO/MAX in Ultimate.

UnnDunn
Premium
join:2005-12-21
Brooklyn, NY
reply to wmcbrine
said by wmcbrine:

Coincidence. Those services are based on IP addresses, and your address changed when you changed your router -- but it also changes when, e.g., the power goes out -- as well as, potentially, at any random time. The IP addresses come from a pool, so the service thinks you're at whatever location it last had for that IP, until you or someone (or something?) else updates it.

It's based off of MAC addresses, not IP addresses. A company called SkyHook maintains a large database of MAC addresses and their locations. You can update the info for your router here. Or wait for it to happen automatically based on their scans.

tnsprin

join:2003-07-23
Bradenton, FL
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 edit
reply to UnnDunn
said by UnnDunn:

said by tnsprin:

Goal line/Buzzer Beater, HBO/Cinemax are not in the Ultimate package. Extreme for goal line and seperate Premium package for HBO/Cinemax. So lots more people impacted.

NYC Metro has HBO/MAX in Ultimate.

Well aware of that as I have a NY Account and a Florida account.

My NY installs back in 2010 was all 7xxx. But well aware that they were still installing 6xxx boxes in 2013. During the install in Florida I commented to the installer, and he did use a 7232, and one 7100-p2 but another 6xxx. The recent upgrade went less then perfect. They first sent a 7100-p1 which arrived with a loose metal shield running around in the case. I called and they were suppose to send out a new one, and I returned the 7100 never even risking plugging it in. But their system refused to release the new box, despite the return, because it was expected the box to be activated. Just got them to send a second box (this time got a 7100-p2) last week just in time for the coming changes.

Swissglide

join:2011-08-29
Point Lookout, NY

1 edit
reply to ITALIAN926
It was a move order, just like the one before. Just went to the website, clicked the 'Moving?' link, and went through the steps.

upd: So two days ago I went into the in-home agent to check the replacement order status, and I got a message saying that the network upgrades have been postponed indefinitely, and that no boxes will be replaced. Then I called cs to complain and was told that a tech will be at my house with a new box first thing on Monday. The tech came and put in a brand new 7232 p2 (also replacing the ONT, since mine had to be reset twice while he was there). He also mentioned something interesting: my service region (Long Island) is supposed to get the media server (»www.engadget.com/2013/01/08/veri···ands-on/) by the end of this year, and apparently they just had a meeting to discuss the installation process and have equipment to test on hand.

BlackNGold29

join:2008-07-08
Bethel Park, PA
reply to PJL
Just found out from Verizon that they aren't doing the MPEG-4 thing until later this year now and that is why I haven't received my box yet. So basically, whenever they decide to push that again, that is when I'm supposed to get my box. Figures, after all of that.

webcobbler

join:2013-03-09
Rumson, NJ
kudos:2
reply to Swissglide
I believe around September is when the Media Servers are suppose to start shipping.

I wonder when it will be announced by Verizon, and then when we can order it / get on a waiting list? Then finally, when it will be in VZ stores to just pick up?

I know a Tech will have to come out and put in a new ONT and Gig E rev. I router. It will not be as simple as just exchanging boxes and equipment.

PJL

join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA
kudos:3
reply to BlackNGold29
You think maybe they simply didn't anticipate demand and ran out of replacements?

webcobbler

Rumson, NJ
reply to BlackNGold29
as BlackNGold said...

Can anyone else confirm that VZ has not done any of the channels they said they would switch over to MPEG4 on April 15th?

I thought on that date about, like they said, they would switch those 20 or so channels to MPEG4.

And thats why they could add BeIn channel bc its MPEG4, for example, and without switching the 20 channels, no added HD channels could be done. But obviously, Ultimate package people will get all these converted MPEG4 channels included, and any newly added channels in MPEG4 of course.

Or are the channels in the new Sports Pass package the channels on the list that they have already been switched to MPEG4? and then when they do more, those channels will be added to that Package?
So, did they do all? (which I would assume)

Or did they just do 1 or 2, and they won't do they rest until Winter?

And that is why we do not have the channels that we suppose to get, (like TVGuide HD) etc.

Sorry for the little rant, but If VZ did transfer all those channels to MPEG4, we should've seen more HD adds by now, IMHO. Not just BeiN.

matcarl
Premium
join:2007-03-09
Franklin Square, NY
none were converted in VHO5, looks like it's on hold.

PJL

join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
said by matcarl:

none were converted in VHO5, looks like it's on hold.

...because they ran out of replacement 7XXX STBs.

RolteC
0h

join:2001-05-20
Fresh Meadows, NY
I did not know this myself and was told last night that it was placed on hold due to lack of supply and that it would continue in the next 4 months.

webcobbler

Rumson, NJ
reply to matcarl
well at the very least, they would have had to convert 2 or so to free up space to add BeIn in MPEG4, correct?

In VHO7, there is no space left, yet they added that channel on the 16th. One day after the supposed transition.

So did they only transfer enough just to free up space just for that one channel? Then they will they continue with these 20 channels in the next few months?

TitusTroy

join:2009-06-18
New York, NY
reply to BlackNGold29
why am I not surprised at these latest developments

typical Verizon...announce plans, fail to anticipate demand, delay rollout

blue_trooper

join:2007-04-17
Exton, PA
said by TitusTroy:

fail to anticipate demand

"Well, we're out of cake! We only had three bits and we didn't expect such a rush. So what do you want?"

"Well, so my choice is 'or death’? I’ll have the chicken then, please."

dimi1963

join:2001-12-27
Union, NJ
ROTFLMAO... Great bit!!

"Do you have a flag?"

webcobbler

Rumson, NJ
reply to matcarl
I am a bit confused.

1st thing: As far as I/we know, the MPEG4 transition of the 20 channels have been put on hold. So since it has been about a month and a half, have any of those channels been converted to MPEG4 yet?

I assume maybe 2 channels initially bc of the addition of BeIn some weeks ago, which is MPEG4, i believe.

2nd: Probably some have notice that ch. 571 now shows a new splash screen of ESPN Bases Loaded. My question regarding this is; Is this channel still MPEG2, or is it now MPEG4? I ask this bc I thought that the channels that were put into the newly formed Sports Package were MPEG4.

I'll just point this out - Also, for those who do not know: those with Ultimate do not have to worry about these channel realignments, and MPEG4 transitions. Due to the fact that Ultimate customers should already have 7xxx boxes.

And finally: Do we know when FiOS will begin or continue their 20 MPEG4 channel transition? Assuming that they have restocked, or have enough of the 7xxx series STBs for people to exchange their 6xxx boxes for.

Thank You

wmcbrine
213 251 145 96

join:2002-12-30
Laurel, MD
said by webcobbler:

Probably some have notice that ch. 571 now shows a new splash screen of ESPN Bases Loaded. My question regarding this is; Is this channel still MPEG2, or is it now MPEG4?

It's still MPEG2.
--
09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

somebodeez
Premium,MVM
join:2001-09-24
here
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to webcobbler
said by webcobbler:

I'll just point this out - Also, for those who do not know: those with Ultimate do not have to worry about these channel realignments, and MPEG4 transitions. Due to the fact that Ultimate customers should already have 7xxx boxes.

I'm on Ultimate and still have a 6x HDSTB. I went through the TV menu to order a replacement quite some time ago. Last week, I received an automated phone call from Verizon that said there is a delay on my STB order and no changes were being made to the system at this time due to the delay.

webcobbler

Rumson, NJ
reply to wmcbrine
Thank You.

webcobbler

Rumson, NJ
reply to somebodeez
somebodeez,

Another way is to go to your local VZ store, and exchange your 6xxx STB for a new 7xxx series box.

Just say that you qualify for the Free Exchange Upgrade, if there is any question or potential fee. But def try to get the 7232 model.

It will be much faster than waiting for them to send you one in the mail.

somebodeez
Premium,MVM
here
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
said by webcobbler:

somebodeez,

Another way is to go to your local VZ store, and exchange your 6xxx STB for a new 7xxx series box.

Just say that you qualify for the Free Exchange Upgrade, if there is any question or potential fee. But def try to get the 7232 model.

It will be much faster than waiting for them to send you one in the mail.

We have some local wireless stores around here but no local VZ stores where I can exchange boxes (AFAIK) and I'd be too worried about my bill getting messed up since my order is already in the system. It's ok though, I really don't mind the wait as long as major changes aren't being done yet due to the delay (as stated in the automated phone message that we received). My point was that just because we subscribe to "Ultimate" doesn't automatically mean we have all 7x boxes.

As a matter of fact, we still have a standard def box too. We haven't been willing to exchange that one yet though. It is my understanding that they don't have those anymore and if I were to replace it for an HD box, the monthly charge for that would be twice as much. On top of that, we also have 2 free (as long as we live at the same address) adapters.

Swissglide

join:2011-08-29
Point Lookout, NY
reply to BlackNGold29
Call. Switch to your saddest voice and say 'I moved recently, and at the old place I had a shiny new black box, and now I got a silver one and I HATE it. Guide takes forever to open, it's ugly and pixelated, can I please just have what I had before back, I am very unhappy with the replacement'. Worked for me, 2 days later a tech brought a brand new 7232. Now, you may say 'but I didn't move!'. Well, a few weeks after I moved, a neighbor was over for a couple beers, and he made a point about never getting a replacement box from VZ, so I told him what I did and he also called with the puss-in-boots begging eyes approach. Two days later, new box. So that's 2 for 2, while every local store claimes to have no stock of 72xx whatsoever.

somebodeez
Premium,MVM
here

1 edit
reply to somebodeez
Just received our replacement box this evening. It's smaller than the other replacement box. This time, they sent us a QIP7100 2.
I think I got the one that doesn't have a clock.