uniqs
share rss forum feed

cosmicvoid
Infinity Or Bust

join:2001-01-02
Kingston, WA

Both router and AP

My searches do not find any relevant threads, so I'll ask:

Is there a WiFi "box" (hardware &/or a firmware update) that can behave as both a router and an AP simultaneously? Multiple SSIDs, where one SSID serves as a router, with DHCP, NAT, etc. Another SSID serves as an AP, no NAT, no DHCP, etc.

I'm trying to avoid having 2 boxes to provide the 2 functions.

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS
kudos:5
Perhaps if you describe the requirement and not discuss your functional solutions it will become clearer what your asking. Dont use the terms router or AP and articulate what your trying to do - provide etc etc.

eibgrad

join:2010-03-15
reply to cosmicvoid
I agree w/ Anav, but if we read between the lines a bit here, I assume the OP wants a wireless router that supports virtual wireless APs. The kind of thing you might find on say the D-Link DIR-655 (primary and guest networks).

If you need maximum flexibility, look for routers that support dd-wrt/tomato (third party) firmware. Beyond the simplicity offered by commercial products, these solutions provide access to and configuration of just about everything, including DHCP, DNS, NAT, firewall rules, etc. Of course, with all these features comes complexity.

Personally, I prefer using multiple boxes since it's just plain easier to understand and manage, esp. for newbs.

clarknova

join:2010-02-23
Grande Prairie, AB
kudos:7
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to cosmicvoid
+1 for Tomato. Most of the modern builds, including shibby and teaman, support mulitple SSIDs and vlans. I don't know that it's possible to have differential NAT configurations on multiple subnets without diving into the command line, however.
--
db

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp
kudos:8
reply to cosmicvoid
A router and an AP are two different functionalities.

Anav
Premium
Dartmouth, NS
said by John Galt:

I'm breathlessly waiting for more, Cousin .. Sir John "Dalai Llama" Galt.

cosmicvoid
Infinity Or Bust

Kingston, WA
reply to Anav
said by Anav:

Perhaps if you describe the requirement and not discuss your functional solutions it will become clearer what your asking. Dont use the terms router or AP and articulate what your trying to do - provide etc etc.

My goal here is to have wireless access for guests that gives them internet access, but prevents them from seeing any of the other computers on my LAN. This would be the 'router' functionality, putting them on a different subnet. The same box would also just provide a wireless bridge to my LAN (the 'AP' functionality), so that I could access all the other computers on the system, as well as the internet.

I suppose I should have said "consumer grade" box, as I'm not intrested in spending hundreds of $ for this capability. I picked up a cheap Asus RT-N12 to experiment with, and I have investigated dd-wrt, but I have not looked into tomato. Does tomato support the simultaneous capability? (I know, RTFM...).

I am a semi-noobie in the wireless equipment area.
said by John Galt:

Is there a point to this comment?

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
Happy Camp
said by cosmicvoid:

Is there a point to this comment?

Yes, because you're conflating the two of them.

cosmicvoid
Infinity Or Bust

Kingston, WA
said by John Galt:

Yes, because you're conflating the two of them.

Actually, I'd like to conflate the two of them. ISTM that the only difference between router and AP is, essentially, NAT and perhaps DHCP. No reason that some software couldn't do both at once.

Anav
Premium
Dartmouth, NS
reply to cosmicvoid
Well your needs are very simple actually.
Most 3rd party software will provide,
a. Guest or multiple SSIDs which will segrate others from your own wifi.
b. the ability to point the guest wifi only to the external internet connection ie NO LAN access.

On my firewall (bit more $) I have separate LANs and firewall rules which I apply to how I want them managed.

The AP can go anywhere on your network as long as its connected back to a router by etherenet cable. That is if you want it separately located from your router. (If you have them separated picking up another router and simply use it as AP/switch.)
--
Ain't nuthin but the blues! "Albert Collins".
Leave your troubles at the door! "Pepe Peregil" De Sevilla. Just Don't Wifi without WPA, "Yul Brenner"

LlamaWorks Equipment

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
Happy Camp

1 recommendation

reply to cosmicvoid
You might find some answers here:

»www.mcbsys.com/techblog/2011/11/···-tomato/

cosmicvoid
Infinity Or Bust

Kingston, WA

1 recommendation

Thanks John. Thats the kind of info I am looking for.

HELLFIRE
Premium
join:2009-11-25
kudos:18
reply to cosmicvoid
Two wireless routers, one behind the other, would be a Q&D way of doing this -- guests go on the 1st router, you go on
the 2nd. I think SoonerAl had a nice picture that showed this.

Regards

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
Premium,MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON
reply to cosmicvoid
said by cosmicvoid:

I'm trying to avoid having 2 boxes to provide the 2 functions.

My suggestion is the Netgear WNDR4500.

John97
Over The Hills And Far Away
Premium
join:2000-11-14
Spring Hill, FL
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Bright House
·ooma
reply to cosmicvoid
My Asus router lets me set up multiple Guest SSIDs, which can be configured to deny local network access to any connected devices - giving them an internet connection only. The Guest SSIDs created can be either permanent or temporary (are only functional for a specified period of time). I have the RT-AC66U but I think other similar models in their lineup have similar functionality.
--
So put me on a highway, and show me a sign.
And take it to the limit one more time...

cosmicvoid
Infinity Or Bust

Kingston, WA
My research has led me to like the Tomato firmware, which offers the multiple SSID capability. I'm about to try Toastman's VLAN mini version on an Asus RT-N12 that I picked up cheap.