Computer Elite
Premium
join:2002-09-11
Burlington, WI
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

1 edit

[Connectivity] Comcast Changed Email Ports

They are trying to tell me I need to use port 995 for incoming email and check the SSL box. For the outgoing port I need to use port 465 with the SSL box checked. This is total bullshit because the defaults worked just fine the other day and on my other computer at another location in town it still works on the default ports. Screw Comcast. I can't even send email and they want to charge me to fix the issue by using signature support for something these idiots broke.
--
Affordable Web-Hosting, Reseller Hosting, Ventrilo, & Teamspeak services since 1999 @ »www.deadlyservers.com

NotHereNow

@verizon.net
Those are the defaults for secured communication (ports). I would have thought that Comcast dropped access via unsecure ports a long time ago. You may still be able to find some email provider that doesn't require use of secure ports, if you look long enough. I wouldn't really recommend it though.

SHoTTa35

@optonline.net
reply to Defiance82
Most places now do SSL email instead to keep hackers/spammers away from your details. Port 25 is blocked on some systems too because spammers bring their laptops to say a coffee shop and then just let it spam away to millions using port 25 then they close up shop and don't have to worry about their own IPs being blacklisted.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC

1 edit
reply to Defiance82
said by Defiance82:

They are trying to tell me I need to use port 995 for incoming email and check the SSL box. For the outgoing port I need to use port 465 with the SSL box checked. This is total bullshit because the defaults worked just fine the other day ...

Even so ...

»customer.comcast.com/help-and-su···y-email/

Comcast states that they are no longer, "defaults". They are just catching up to the new industry defaults. I have not used port 25 for message submission in the last seven, or eight years. AT&T (my former ISP), Sonic.net, LLC (my new ISP), AOL mail, Gmail, Yahoo! mail: All now recommend, and support, port 465 for outbound and port 993/995 (IMAP-S/POP3-S) for inbound. The SSL option must be used with those ports.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

jlivingood
Premium,VIP
join:2007-10-28
Philadelphia, PA
kudos:2
reply to Defiance82