spc
Search similar:

uniqs

GetZ
@comcast.net

GetZ

Anon

[Connectivity] Comcast is the MOST incompetent company

I have spend today with comcast over 5 hours on the phone while they tried to upgrade me with a 39.99 service, and screwing every phone call switch...I am at my wits end.

Here is the issue: I have a switch with 5 connections, and my router from Comcast is connected to it. One computer is working fine, BUT the lap top that I connect via the NetGear electricity net is not working. When I had ADSL I connected to the same switch and it worked fine.

I have asked to set up the modem as a router with internal private LAN (NAT and DHCP) but they said they won't.

Comcast told me I need a router, BUT I dont want to have wireless in my house.

Can anyone help?

Z

citizensin
The Deacon of the Bipartisan Party
Premium Member
join:2001-06-19
Fayette City, PA

citizensin

Premium Member

"Comcast told me I need a router, BUT I dont want to have wireless in my house."

Have you considered a wired router? Example

»www.newegg.com/Wired-Rou ··· ry/ID-28

owlyn
MVM
join:2004-06-05
Newtown, PA
Netgear CM2050V
Netgear RBRE960
Netgear RBSE960

owlyn to GetZ

MVM

to GetZ
Your terminology is confused or confusing. A modem can't be set up as a router. Comcast doesn't provide routers (though they used to provide inexpensive routers for WiFi). Comcast does provide a gateway, which is a combination modem/router, and usually has WiFi.

What are the brands and model numbers of the equipment that you have? What Comcast services do you have?
rody_44
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

rody_44 to GetZ

Premium Member

to GetZ
dp
rody_44

4 edits

rody_44 to GetZ

Premium Member

to GetZ
You need a router. It doesnt have to be a wireless one. Seems like they gave the correct answer. Not sure why you think they are incompetent for trying to explain that to you. Just get a router and put it in place of the switch.
Just curious how many of the other devices are you running the broadband over power lines. Is it just one or is it all 4? Guess if its more than one your house lines can act as a switch. Just thinking tho as i havent ran into any scenarios where thats the case. Still going to need a router no matter what as your adsl must have been dishing out multiple ips where as comcasts cable modems dont. Im sure you confused the shit out of them with the netgear electricity net comment. As you would any company.

plencnerb
Premium Member
join:2000-09-25
53403-1242

plencnerb to citizensin

Premium Member

to citizensin
Even if you got a wireless router, you could always turn the wireless broadcast off. I know I had a Netgear Wireless Router (forget the exact model # at this point), but all I did was go into the configuration page and turned it off. Once I did that, I had a standard wired router.

--Brian

andyross
MVM
join:2003-05-04
Aurora, IL

andyross to GetZ

MVM

to GetZ
Comcast will only give you 1 IP address. Unless you get a business account with multiple IP's, you must use a router, which will also handle NAT addressing.

Although it seems as if 99.9% of routers out there are also wireless, there are some. And even so, you can always disable it. If you are extra paranoid, get a router with removable antennas, and remove them. That way, even if the wireless is re-enabled for some reason, it won't really work.

GetZ
@comcastbusiness.net

GetZ to rody_44

Anon

to rody_44
Guys, thank you very much for all your help and I think I have got it from here. Please understand why I was irritated:
1) Their phone system that prompts all kinds of commands does not work. Regardless of the phone number they gave me, it always routed to the same dept. One of the employees refused to talk to me while saying my employee is of comacast (?). For the sake of time I will spare you the absurd and archaic system they have in place.

2) For everything technical question that I had, they switched me to their department that is called "Signature Services" which they make you agree to a 39.99 and 9.99 monthly. Why?
If you provide service, you should support your equipment with basic questions that they could have answered. This is CLEARLY a way of pushing a service knowing that at some point you would need technical support.

3) Sadly I was not in the house when the installation occurred. However, I did tell the technician how everything is working. It would have been fine if it told me that my arrangement is not working and gave me solutions. Instead, he unplugged everything, connected from the modem to the computer and left everything else hanging and left.

Guys, I have been in business for 20 years, and although this is not a perfect world, this is not how I treat my customers. If they need support, I give it to them for hours and in return I get more customers.

Comcast is a company that is focusing more on the advertising side while competing with phone and TV companies, while lacking the adequate R&D implementation.

This is America: Sales first, let the customer break is head with all the rest.

Lastly, out of desperation I have agreed to their $39.99 and when I spoke to the technician he was kind at first, then when I started inquiring about more technical stuff, he spoke over me, and then hung up on me.

I wish I found this forum first as you guys more helpful than the 20 customer service reps I spoke to. Thank you for all the support.

Z

gar187er
I DID this for a living
join:2006-06-24
Seattle, WA

gar187er

1 we know the system.. while you may get the same department, it collects info as you go through the prompts

2 they pushed you to this because you dont know how t setup YOUR network. by paying for this comcast would come out and fix YOUR network.

3 thats what he is supposed to do, he is not being paid to setup YOUR network.

these techs have other jobs to get to, they cant stay longer to do work that they are paid to do.

what R&D are they missing?
timtom83
join:2012-11-15

timtom83

said by gar187er:

1 we know the system.. while you may get the same department, it collects info as you go through the prompts

2 they pushed you to this because you dont know how t setup YOUR network. by paying for this comcast would come out and fix YOUR network.

3 thats what he is supposed to do, he is not being paid to setup YOUR network.

these techs have other jobs to get to, they cant stay longer to do work that they are paid to do.

what R&D are they missing?

I agreed.

YukonHawk
join:2001-01-07
Patterson, NY

1 edit

YukonHawk to GetZ

to GetZ
Disregard.
Expand your moderator at work

GetZ
@comcast.net

GetZ to gar187er

Anon

to gar187er

Re: [Connectivity] Comcast is the MOST incompetent company

All Fixed and relived.
Wow....just to think that all I needed was a router that the guy who installed it could have told me( get it? @gar187er). There is no need for anyone to come and do anything and this community helped me more.
I bought the router, disabled the wireless and all is working.

10 hours with them on the phone and ONLY the "Signature Guy" who hung up on me told me I need a router. When I told him I don't want wireless, he could have said that one could disable it like one polite guy here (thanks @plencnerb!) ]instead he hung on me.

I regret going and switching to Comcast from AT&T. I should have just called and asked to match the rate. AT&T never tried to upsell me when I need service. Too late...

Again, thank you for all the guys that helped me.
GetZ

GetZ to andyross

Anon

to andyross
Thank you @andyross! I am not paranoid of wireless, but I get enough of that in my business.

YukonHawk
join:2001-01-07
Patterson, NY

YukonHawk to GetZ

to GetZ
Glad that all worked out for you.
Expand your moderator at work
rody_44
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

2 edits

rody_44 to GetZ

Premium Member

to GetZ

Re: [Connectivity] Comcast is the MOST incompetent company

If at@t didnt try to upsell you its because they had nothing to upsell to you. But in this case i dont really consider what comcast did as upselling. Keep in mind comcast does not support networking with regular support and you were calling about networking related issues. Can imagine what you went thru tho and can feel your pain. in the long run tho comcast has a much better service than at@t and dont think you will regret switching.

gar187er
I DID this for a living
join:2006-06-24
Seattle, WA

gar187er to GetZ

to GetZ
your original post said that "comcast told me i need a router"

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT

PeteC2 to GetZ

MVM

to GetZ
GetZ, glad that you got your issues solved.

In all fairness however, what happened was primarily your own doing. You did not want wireless (I get that, but keep in mind that it is the only networking solution that Comcast, or for that matter any other ISP is supplying) and ordered a single point of entry cable connection to a cable modem to one computer.

The install tech did exactly what was on his work order...that is what they pay him to do! It is a shame that you couldn't have been there, because I would bet you that the install tech would have cheerfully told you that you needed a router for what you were doing. That would have saved time and frustration. Since you were not there, the tech fullfilled the work order and moved on to the next installation.

rody_44 is right (so is gar187er). Once you ordered single cable modem service, it was not customer service's purview to be advising you on third party equipment and network set up. They correctly pointed you to Signature Service for enhanced support outside of the norm. If you kept asking for support outside of your cable connection to your cable modem to that one computer...then yes, they would keep suggesting Signature Service.