Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

olive403

join:2012-10-10
Canada
Reviews:
·WestNet Wireless

[AB] V1000h cant browse LAN from Wireless?

Hi -

Strange thing - im connected directly to my v1000h over wifi - i cant connect to other sources of the LAN, but by ethernet Im able to connect to the v1000h and other devices.

I tried all firmware, OEM and TELUS, checked subnet - even tried a different v1000h - any suggestions?
--
My ISP Speedtest
»www.speedtest.net/result/2234183999.png

nss_tech

join:2007-07-29
Edmonton AB
There is a limitation placed on the gateways to prevent wireless and LAN devices from communicating. The previous gateway (Dlink DVA) had the same restriction. I suspect it is to prevent the multicast stream that Optik TV uses from flooding the wireless. I'm not aware of a way to get around it.

olive403

Canada
Reviews:
·WestNet Wireless
thank you - i disabled all mutlicast stuff and not using optic tv.

i even tried the OEM firmware.

so your telling me Wireless Users who use v1000h router can not talk to other devices on their network?

or does telus provide 2 routers ?
--
My ISP Speedtest

nss_tech

Edmonton AB
No, wireless can't see LAN.
No Telus typically offers the Actiontec though I'm not sure the Zyxel is any better.

olive403

Canada
Reviews:
·WestNet Wireless
reply to olive403
ok so the v1000h is only good for AP for wireless users who can not connect to each other or talk to lan and is only good using DHCP on its own (seems to also block DHCP)
--
My ISP Speedtest

Ikarasu

join:2004-01-09
Port Coquitlam, BC
reply to olive403
huh?... I believe your mistaken.

I have the V1000h, And optic TV, and my wireless works pefectly fine Via SMB.

Is your Wireless Nic setup with a Static IP, or a dynamic?

AFAIK, Theres no limitation to the V1000, That'd be stupid considering most people connect wirelessly.

Exand

join:2001-10-28
Canada
reply to olive403
Maybe I'm not understanding what the OP wants but I regularly accessed files on my desktop through a private IP address from my Android phone over wireless using ES File Explorer. I had the v1000h and Optik TV as well.

bhazeltn
Premium
join:2011-01-18
Calgary, AB
reply to olive403
I'm not sure why the OP would not be able to connect to devices from Wifi to LAN and back. I do it all the time with multiple types of devices, some static IP, some dynamic IP. Both SMB and NFS.

We might need more information to help diagnose the issue.

olive403

Canada
Reviews:
·WestNet Wireless
reply to Ikarasu
yes it would be "stupid" but im not able to connect to lan devices over wifi... i have probably used/programmed a few dozen routers but this is the first time i see thi but as other said it has to do with IGMP or something.
--
My ISP Speedtest

nss_tech

Edmonton AB
SMB may work. Never tried it. I know most protocols won't go through though.

bhazeltn
Premium
join:2011-01-18
Calgary, AB
Like http, nfs, ssh, smb? I know they all work, my laptop, tablet and one WDLive are all wireless and can all connect to my home server via those protocols. I can also connect to those devices from systems on the wired side. I didn't think I had an odd setup, other than a few forwarding rules my V1000h is as Telus sent

olive403

Canada
reply to olive403
So - could someone me how to connect to the V1000h and access LAN devices - printer, TV, etc?

Or is this not possible with the v1000h?
(once again I am able to talk to the v1000h back and forth via ethernet)

pfak
Premium
join:2002-12-29
Vancouver, BC
reply to nss_tech
said by nss_tech:

SMB may work. Never tried it. I know most protocols won't go through though.

I was under the impression that anything that was broadcast wouldn't work, so things like SMB should work.
--
The more I C, the less I see.

AnonTechEDM

@telus.net
reply to olive403
said by olive403:

Hi -

Strange thing - im connected directly to my v1000h over wifi - i cant connect to other sources of the LAN, but by ethernet Im able to connect to the v1000h and other devices.

I tried all firmware, OEM and TELUS, checked subnet - even tried a different v1000h - any suggestions?

Let's start with your current configuration. What devices are you using on the wifi that cannot "talk" to the LAN?
check any internet security suites or firewalls enabled on these devices to ensure that they are not blocking such traffic. What operating systems are you using on these devices?
What testing have you done yourself already?
Assuming windows based devices have you enabled sharing on the drives you want to access?
Try to be as in depth as possible when explaining the situation because LAN connectivity issues could be soooo many things.
And nss_tech if I'm not mistaken I believe the actiontec is filtering the multicast traffic using iptables so WLAN and LAN traffic should still be possible

jitterbug
Premium
join:2004-08-18
Calgary, AB
reply to pfak
SMB or Windows homegroup work fine across the Actiontec wireless. I have my Windows 7 laptops (wireless) configured to use Norton Ghost to backup their files once a week a Windows 7 homegroup file share (LAN).

twixt

join:2004-06-27
North Vancouver, BC
reply to olive403
said by olive403:

So - could someone me how to connect to the V1000h and access LAN devices - printer, TV, etc?

Or is this not possible with the v1000h?
(once again I am able to talk to the v1000h back and forth via ethernet)

Hi, olive403. Things to check:

1. Do you have more than one computer wired to the V1000h?

2. If you can print from even one wired computer across the LAN to a wired network printer, your LAN is working correctly. Thus, the problem is configuration elsewhere.

3. Can you connect your wireless laptop to the V1000h via ethernet cable and share that way? If so, your problem is in the security configuration for the wireless connection on your laptop. If not, the problem is in the security configuration for your laptop and/or your security configuration for your wired desktop(s).

4. As AnonTechEDM mentioned, there are three parts to a successful file-sharing process under Windows. The first is the need to enable Windows File and Printer Sharing. The second is to open the Windows Firewall to enable File and Printer Sharing. The third is to open any third-party Firewall to enable File and Printer Sharing. Until this is done on all the computers connected via the Actiontec, you will not be able to see fileshares on the LAN.

-

So, the next set of questions:

1. Do you have more than one wired computer plugged into the wired ethernet connections on the back of the Actiontec?

2. Can you share files and folders on the two wired machines?

3. If you only have one wired computer, there is no easy way to tell whether or not Windows File Sharing is enabled. If Windows File Sharing is not enabled on the wired computer - you will not be able to "see" the wired computer from the Laptop - no matter what you do.

4. For Windows boxes, Google "How do I enable file and printer sharing in Windows XX" (where xx is the Windows version on that machine). Follow the procedures to enable file and printer sharing on each machine you wish to use with the Actiontec.

Note: The procedures for enabling File and Printer Sharing vary between XP, Vista, W7 and W8. Make sure you use the specific instructions for the appropriate OS on each of the machines.

5. If you are trying to cross-connect between a computer running Windows XP and any newer machine that has Homegroups - this may require special treatment. Please let us know if this is the case.

6. Using the procedure you found for each OS, allow the default Windows Firewall to permit LAN traffic that supports File and Printer Sharing. If you performed the setup process for File and Printer Sharing properly on the wired machines, this should have been set properly as part of the sharing setup routine. However, there is no guarantee this worked properly - so we are going to check manually anyways. Check the Windows Firewall configuration on each machine to ensure File and Printer Sharing is properly enabled in the Windows Firewall properties. If not, you won't get a connection to a remote computer even if File and Printer Sharing is enabled in Windows itself.

Note: You want to get this right, so that you can temporarily disable any third-party firewall - in order to tell whether or not that third-party firewall is the reason you can't connect to other machines.

A caveat: I do not recommend using the Windows Firewall as your default. You should be running something much more capable than the default Windows Firewall - but allowing selective use of the Windows Firewall for diagnostic purposes only is acceptable for short periods of time. During these periods, the use of Internet Explorer to go to the Windows Update site is acceptable. I recommend no other internet access while the machine is vulnerable in this manner - especially under Windows XP.

The reason you want this working properly - is because when you temporarily disable any third-party firewall - Windows Firewall is re-enabled by default. Thus, you have no idea whether or not the problem is with your third-party firewall until you know you can share files and printers using the Windows Firewall.

And no, for obvious reasons, you don't turn off the Windows firewall. In today's world, running with no firewall at all is suicidal - malware is that tricky.

7. If you are using a third-party firewall (Norton Internet Security, Kapersky Internet Suite, Avast, Comodo, ZoneAlarm or similar) this takes the place of the Windows Firewall on that machine - and thus must also be properly configured to support File and Printer Sharing. This is true for each machine that tries to talk across the network.

Note: If you have different third-party firewall software on each of the computers connected to the Actiontec, then each individual machine must be configured correctly using the specific options unique to that particular piece of firewall software. There is no "generic" way to deal with this. It is often best to standardize on one third-party Anti-Malware/Firewall product for all machines in your household - for no other reason than once you find the correct configuration on one machine, it is very likely that will work for all machines.

8. Once you get two machines configured correctly, you should be able to "see" the other machine's shares across the network. Try using "My Network Places", clicking on "Entire Network" and then clicking on "Microsoft Windows Network" - your workgroups should show in that window. The default workgroup name is either "MSHOME" or "WORKGROUP", depending upon the version of Windows in use. If you customized the workgroup name, then your custom workgroup name should appear.

Note: If you did not remember to standardize on the same workgroup name across all machines, there will be multiple workgroups shown in that window. You should be able to see the shares for each workgroup by clicking on that workgroup name and noting the sharenames in the workgroupshare window for that particular workgroup.

BTW, if you have multiple workgroups - it would be a good idea to settle on a standard name and change the divergent machines so they all have the same workgroup name. This tends to make "automatic share discovery" much more reliable.

9. Now that we know the wired LAN is fully functional and stable for all wired-connection machines, we are going to perform the same actions on each wireless laptop. Again, we are going to enable File and Printer sharing, open the Windows Firewall, open the third-party firewall, and confirm the wireless connection allows wireless laptops to share files with wired computers.

10. Here's where things may get a little tricky. It is often the case that the router "gets confused" when you are making changes to the wireless configuration on a wireless device like a laptop. In this case, the only solution is to power down all network devices - laptops, printers, desktops and the modem/router itself - and then power up the devices in the following order:

a) Modem
b) Router
c) Modem/Router if you are using a Combo device
d) Master Wired Desktop Machine (supposed to be plugged into the first of the 4 ports on the router)
e) Network Printer
f) the Laptop under test

Note: Allow each device to "settle" before turning on the next device. The Actiontec has "settled" when all the frantic blinking on the front has decayed down to a dull roar. The Wired Desktop Machine has "settled" when you can see that machine's fileshares in Windows Explorer (even though there are no other fileshares available yet). The Network Printer has "settled" when the "Ready" notification shows in the Printer Status Window on the Printer. The Laptop has "settled" a few minutes after it quits frantically buzzing its Hard Disk during startup.

Start by only powering up the Actiontec and the Wired Desktop machine. Once you have those two devices in a valid sharing configuration, add one more machine at a time - checking in each case to see that all available shares (on the two machines, then three, and so on) show up as shares on their complement machines.

Once you have the Master Desktop Machine and the first laptop running and settled, go and look for the workgroup or homegroup name on each of the two devices to see whether or not the shares on the companion machine are visible.

Note: It can take a while (especially with Apple devices) for the wireless items to appear. Generally, they should appear within a couple of minutes - but it could take as long as 15 minutes.

-

There. Going through that entire procedure should keep you busy for a while.

Please let us know how you get on. There may be other undiscovered "gotchas" that also need to be worked out.

Hope this helps.

olive403

Canada
Reviews:
·WestNet Wireless
reply to olive403
thank you -

im using android, iphone, windows 7, (wireless) hp printer (Wired)

firewall off on windows 7 . in the 192.168.1.0 subnet (255.255.255.0)

I did a factory restore on the v1000h - still no luck -
i replaced the v1000h with a 2wire 2700 - everything works fine (but its not VDSL)
i replaced and used a dlink, wrt54g, all work fine (they have no modem built in)

Replies on this thread that the v1000h is designed that way so it doesnt flood network (i dont have optic tv)

the android, iphone, wireless laptop are all able to connect to the gateway and have internet - but they can not talk to the other devices (nest, printer, scanner, ipod,) I made sure they all have the same subnet programmed.

i did program a lot of routers in my time (for my IT department) Im not by means an expert but maybe v1000h is something else (in regards to IGMP etc) ?
--
My ISP Speedtest

olive403

Canada
reply to olive403
should i set my v1000h (supported device)
to

ATM VCI 33
OR PTM
--
My ISP Speedtest

humanfilth

join:2013-02-14
cyber gutter

3 edits
Click for full size
zyxel vsg1432 factory firmware
said by olive403:

should i set my v1000h (supported device)
to
ATM VCI 33
OR PTM

ATM is ADSL

PTM is VDSL

»www.juniper.net/techpubs/softwar···iew.html
VDSL2 interface supports Packet Transfer Mode (PTM). The PTM mode transports packets (IP, PPP, Ethernet, MPLS, and so on) over DSL links as an alternative to using Asynchronous Transfer Mode (ATM). PTM is based on the Ethernet in the First Mile (EFM) IEEE802.3ah standard.

Both may be actually on at the same time in case of upgrades or downgrades or you moving to another area.

Too bad the Telus firmware does not allow for blocking IPTV packets from hitting the wireless, via easy configuration. The simple way is to set only certain LAN ports to get the multicast traffic.

rewrite2

join:2008-06-29
kudos:1
reply to olive403
I remember when I got my first v1000h, wifi devices couldn't talk to anyone on the LAN, but some days later when I tried it again wifi can talk to LAN. I didn't really look into what makes it work since I don't use wifi on actiontec.

have you tried setting the v1000h firewall setting to NAT only?

olive403

Canada
Reviews:
·WestNet Wireless
reply to olive403
thank you for the replies - I iwll try NAT low
nice to know other people such as rewrite2 have seen this issue before.

twixt - thanks the very long reply
firewall (disabled, no internet security on pc)
even turned off wifi security .

it appears v1000h is a very limited router..
--
My ISP Speedtest

olive403

Canada
Reviews:
·WestNet Wireless
reply to olive403
ok so really giving up on this router but the N feature would be nice to use.

I switched back to my DD-wrt wrt54g router with 32ram but its wireless G.

I even plugged in a BRAND NEW v1000h out of the box with DHCP off into the network to make it act as a extender (3 level home) but looks like telus stops you from doing so (can not pull Ip address from dd-wrt) I dont get how the 60 different routers or so I programmed (from wilwan , to the CISCO 11mpbs router in 2001) to the stuff they make today why v1000h has to be so hard to use.....

if someone can figure it out i will paypal them 10 bucks
--
My ISP Speedtest

ynohtna
Need... Speed

join:2005-02-02
Burnaby, BC
The names resolution memory of the actiontec sucks.

Stuff that's been hooked up forever works fine by machine name, however I have a laptop that is wireless and sometimes it's really stable and all my other machine can find it by computer name but there are times where the computer name doesn't work and I need to do it by IP.

I think that's what you're talking about?
--
Telus ADSL User Since 1999