Premium
join:2002-03-21
Streamwood, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T Midwest
reply to ropeguru

Re: Well water smell..

I would do either or both of these.
1. Put in a filter similar to this: »www.discountwatersofteners.com/t···oot.html That Centaur Carbon media is really good.

Expect to pay $250 to $300 for installation. Put it right after your pressure tank to handle the whole house. You could go to the bigger one if you have a lot of use. This actually removes sulfur and iron compounds, as well as some other stuff.

2. For the water heater, buy a "powered anode". Search that term. It will cost a fair amount of money, but it will protect the water heater. The reason your hot water smells is that the zinc anode reacts with sulfur compounds to make hydrogen sulfide. Removing the current anode is often suggested, but that will hasten the leaking of your water heater. Switching to an aluminum anode will not protect as well. Expect to use an impact wrench with a big socket to remove the existing anode. The manufacturers would prefer you buy a new tank. When you install a replacement anode, powered or otherwise, you don't need nearly the torque that you needed to replace the anode. Use Teflon tape.

ropeguru
Premium
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA
I had looked at some of thsoe setups minus the solution tank. When I pipe mine in, I am going to T off before the filter to run piping to the outside faucets. Really do not care about the water they get. Will probably end up doing the install myself. Doesn;t look too hard.

Also saw the powered anode and was wondering if they were worth it.

garys_2k
Premium
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI
Reviews:
·Callcentric
said by ropeguru:

Also saw the powered anode and was wondering if they were worth it.

They are if you have a water softener. The sodium or calcium ions in the water really can accelerate corrosion in the heater.

Kramer
Premium,Mod
join:2000-08-03
Richmond, VA
kudos:2
reply to PSWired
said by PSWired:

When the power goes out, his well pump will not be working and he'll have no water, hot or cold

Very true, senior moment. Like almost everyone I know around here, if he doesn't have a generator, he will soon. It takes a large portable to power a water pump. It takes a small sub station to power a water heater and a water pump.

ropeguru
Premium
Mechanicsville, VA
Since I now know I can get natural gas here, my plan is to put in a whole house generator that is NG powered. Won't get used very often so with NG no worry af the fuel sitting and going bad.

Kramer
Premium,Mod
Richmond, VA
Since the 1990s, I think my average has been a power loss for 5 days or more, once every 3 years.
Expand your moderator at work

ropeguru
Premium
Mechanicsville, VA

Re: Well water smell..

Tests requested were a bacterial and chemistry. Samples were taken form cold water tap that had not been used 8 hours. THree samples taken. First was immediate and was first draw for chem, second and third were after running water for 2 minutes and were a 2nd draw chem and bacteria.

Was planning on turning temp down on water heater since it has been up now for over 7 days @ 50 degrees.

Kramer
Premium,Mod
Richmond, VA
There is no detectable level of mercury in Clorox Bleach. »www.factsaboutbleach.com/mercuryqa.html

ropeguru
Premium
Mechanicsville, VA
said by Kramer:

There is no detectable level of mercury in Clorox Bleach. »www.factsaboutbleach.com/mercuryqa.html

Yeah.. I am not really listening too much to his blurb. Sounds more like a sales pitch to me..

Most sites that I found that referenced bleach use called in my dpeth of well was 2 qts diluted into 5 gallons of water. Do not use for at least 2 hours then flush well.

THose low levels will not hurt anyone.

Kramer
Premium,Mod
Richmond, VA
I once dropped a pool chlorine tablet in my well. It wasn't a smart thing to do. My house smelled like a YMCA swimming pool for days. The water came out of the faucet sky blue. I had to turn on both outside faucets and leave them on for days to flush the chlorine out. I probably shortened the life of the pump by years. Pipes were clean as an operating room.

tp0d
yabbazooie
Premium
join:2001-02-13
Carnegie, PA
kudos:6
One of these anodes will get rid of the hot stank.. You should flush your whole system as well, and an overnight total chlorination isnt a bad idea...

»www.sdsmarket.com/KA_90_Smelly_W···y_42.htm

-j
--
if it aint broke, tweak it!!
currently on FiOS (kick aZZ!)

KirkyInCT

join:2008-11-04
Higganum, CT
kudos:1
reply to ropeguru
I'd do a powered anode rod and look at throwing a couple gallons of bleach down your well head and work it through your system, let it sit overnight and then flush it out.

Make certain it gets into your hot water system...

Grumpy
Premium
join:2001-07-28
NW CT
Reviews:
·Comcast
·AT&T Yahoo

4 edits
reply to ropeguru
An east coast water treatment product manufacturing source many plumbing pros turn to for water quality issues:

»www.masterwater.com/main/results.asp

Not sure if they will talk to an unlicensed homeowner? They are a well established firm and not a fly by night importer / re-seller. Their web site has some info to help you decide what should work. I'd hate to see you spend a lot of money on the wrong treatment option(s).

Also - in these parts, plumbing supply wholesalers will often sell directly to homeowners, so one can buy what is more likely to be a full spec product as opposed to the lessened specs many giant box stores demand from their suppliers.

For example - one of the giant box hardware stores has a glaring omission from their shop vacuum line - the Shop Vac brand. Pretty large omission if you ask me. My guess - Shop Vac won't play the cheapen the quality in exchange for an order of 700 box cars game. Snapper lawn mowers is another example - In a leading corporate trade journal article, Snapper flat out refused to lower quality for Home Depot, and walked away from multi million dollar orders. Weber grills - only one source in the US sells Webers with the lowest quality angle irons that Weber will provide - Home Depot. The three I mentioned are not from myth. While I can't say exactly why Shop Vac is not on board with the giant, I can state with 100% fact the other two examples are true. I would be inclined to state that the giants pressure their suppliers as often as feasible to lessen specs to lower price. You could well be already aware of this fairly well known practice. I am certain Home Depot does it. Not sure about Lowes.

ropeguru
Premium
Mechanicsville, VA
reply to ropeguru
Results are back from the water test.

Chem is as follows:

mcl = Maximum Contaminate Standard

Total Hardness    125 ppm = 7.3 gpg (calcium + magnesium)
Sulfide           0.15 ppm,                                 mcl = 400 - 500 ppm
Nitrate           0.4 ppm,                                  mcl = 10.0 ppm (mg/l)
Iron (total)      0.05 first draw ppm,                      mcl = 0.3 ppm (mg/l)
Zinc              0.12 first ppm,                           mcl = 5.0 ppm (mg/l)
Copper           <0.1 first draw ppm,                       mcl = 1.3 ppm (mg/l)
Lead             <0.005 first ppb,                          mcl = 0.015 ppm (mg/l) = 15 ppb
Conductivity      390 umhos = 250 ppm (mg/l) TDS,           mcl = 500 ppm
pH                6.2

One thing I need to look into is that the bacteria test came back positive for identification of coliform group bacteria but no fecal coliforms. Wondering if these were present in the previous well and are still in the old pressure tank causing issues.

Also wondering now what might be causing the hot water trotten egg smell. Am going to call and discuss the findings with the lab tomorrow