Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY
kudos:1
reply to damn

Re: [WIN8] Surface Pro 128 in Canada

said by damn:

EP121 is much bigger than the Surface, I would hardly call it portable. Plus can't beat Surface's screen resolution.

Of course its bigger, it was designed to be bigger which is evident given its physically larger 12.1" screen and its lower resolution is yet another indication of the Asus Eee slate EP121 being an older product. There are more shortcomings then that with respect to the Asus Eee Slate EP121 (as well as some advantages) but for now I'm willing to stick with it despite it being older.

Believe me though if they had a 12.1" screen version of the Surface Pro I would consider that over the 10.6" version of the Surface Pro. I'd prefer a slightly bigger screen. I don't think the tablet market should be one size fits all and there is room for different segments of the market (different types of tablets).

I have a 3rd gen iPad with retina display (2048-by-1536) and before I sold my first gen iPad (1024-by-768) I used them side by side for a few days. My take away from that experience was indifference to the resolution discrepancy which in this case was a factor of 2x. Much greater then the 640x280 resolution difference between the EP121 and Surface Pro.

Anyway, comparison is better suited to current Windows 8 tablets and under the hood (Ivy Bridge) they are all fairly close with respect to the given class / target market.

Haswell presumably has a Q2 2013 release (I've heard June 2nd) and we are almost in March now. I honestly don't see why any Windows 8 tablet manufacturer would delay a Haswell based product but I am willing to wait and see since its only about ~3 or so months,...coupled with poor availability of the Surface Pro now.

damn
Premium
join:2002-10-23
nyc
reply to Octavean

EP121 is much bigger than the Surface, I would hardly call it portable. Plus can't beat Surface's screen resolution.

Link Logger
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-29
Calgary, AB
kudos:3
reply to mozerd

Last week I was in the Bellevue Washington Microsoft Store when they got a shipment of Surface Pro 128s and it was a stampede and they were gone pretty much as soon as word got out about them having stock.

Blake
--
Vendor: Author of Link Logger which is a traffic analysis and firewall logging tool

Octavean
Premium,MVM
New York, NY
reply to mozerd

said by mozerd:

I've played with a lot of tablets --- the surface is much more to my liking. The Type Cover is OUTSTANDING.

Out of curiosity, what tablets have you tried?

I hear what you're saying and I really do hope that Microsoft improves the availability of the Surface Pro 128GB version soon.

I may actually buy one myself but right now I'm making due with my old Asus Eee Slate EP121 Core i5 PC tablet. It originally shipped with Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit but I installed Windows 8 Pro RTM 64bit and its still a reasonably powerful tablet PC (with Wacom Digitizer support). I've been meaning to open it up and upgrade the OEM mSATA SSD from 64GB to something like 256GB (or ~500GB if they ever come up with one). Also maybe upgrade the 802.11g/n+Bluetooth card to support 802.11ac,...

I suppose the kickstand and touch / type cover are quasi unique features but I was referring to the underlying hardware platform, general tablet form factor and OS. I also personally don't care all that much for this design of the kickstand and touch / type cover since they feel a little like a gimmick IMO.

A more traditional keyboard like doc (like with the Samsung ATIV SmartPC Pro XE700T1C-A01US)with built in USB ports, built in battery and multiple angles for better viewing is IMO a more noteworthy / functional engineering feat then the kickstand / touch / type cover.

Still I could see buying the Surface Pro but I would not buy the touch / type cover.

In my case I'll likely stick with what I have for now and await a second generation tablet lineup from Microsoft and others based on mobile Haswell / Haswell-MB,...

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
Premium,MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON
reply to Octavean

said by Octavean:

I don't really see the Microsoft Surface as a unique singular tablet PC by any significant means.

IMO, the surface is UNIQUE, its a magnificent work and works incredibly well --- everyone I know who has one LOVES the Surface Pro. I got one of the 1st ones out of the gate but had to give it up to a family member --- trying to buy another one for my self. I've played with a lot of tablets --- the surface is much more to my liking. The Type Cover is OUTSTANDING.

BTW, I swore I would not succumb to Office 365 subscription plan --- much to my surprise I succumbed after all ---- ideally suited to the surface. Why, 5 installs for the price of one --- all family members are delighted.
--
David Mozer
IT-Expert on Call
Information Technology for Home and Business

Octavean
Premium,MVM
New York, NY
reply to mozerd

Its not just Canada that is having availability issues with respect to the Surface Pro 128GB model,...

I can understand that people interested in the Microsoft Surface Pro are getting a little frustrated due to availability of the 128GB version. The 64GB version doesn't make much sense IMO and there isn't a reasonable user storage upgrade option. Provisioning is a non issue to me though since you can always reclaim more space on the mSATA SSD.

I wouldn't mind having a Surface Pro myself. However, on the other hand I don't really see the Microsoft Surface as a unique singular tablet PC by any significant means. I don't really see anything exceptional about it and I was personally leaning more towards the Acer Iconia Tab W700 series (Core i5) because its preproduction model had something no other PC tablet had,....an Intel Thunderbolt port. While this made it unique, the production models omitted the Thunderbolt port relegating it to being just another Windows 8 tablet. Which is kind of my point, even the Surface Pro is just another Windows 8 PC tablet.

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
Premium,MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON

1 edit

I cannot believe how Microsoft have BUNGLED the availability of the Surface Pro specifically the 128 GB model. I've been trying to purchase this model and the Type Cover [English] over the last 2 weeks .... The Canadian Microsoft Store is continually sold out.

IMO, after having spent very BIG dollars on the Surface marketing campaign Microsoft have ZERO clue how to manage hardware supply.

BTW, I have talked to many others who also are purchasers and they ALL are very disappointed in how Microsoft have handled provisioning of the Surface Pro 128.
--
David Mozer
IT-Expert on Call
Information Technology for Home and Business