spc
Search similar:

uniqs
switcher7
join:2002-04-25
Atlanta, GA

switcher7

Use both ethernet and coax for TV -different rooms

My house has Cat 6 to the first floor rooms and RG6 coax to upstairs rooms. Is the RG capable of having both coax and ethernet connected at the same time to put TV downstairs via ethernet and upstairs via coax?
Thanks
Switcher

djcline
@sbcglobal.net

djcline

Anon

said by switcher7:

My house has Cat 6 to the first floor rooms and RG6 coax to upstairs rooms. Is the RG capable of having both coax and ethernet connected at the same time to put TV downstairs via ethernet and upstairs via coax?
Thanks
Switcher

Yes, this is what I have in my house and it works fine. You can also plug ethernet devices into the back of the set top box to extend your LAN. I have a small switch plugged into the set top box by my TV and into that switch is plugged my Blu Ray player and Vizio internet tv.
switcher7
Atlanta, GA

switcher7

Great! I really appreciate the response.

Thanks again
Switcher

ilikeme
Premium Member
join:2002-08-27
Stafford, TX

ilikeme to switcher7

Premium Member

to switcher7
That will work fine. We had it set up that way when we had U-Verse TV.
switcher7
Atlanta, GA

switcher7

Thanks a lot for the additional input.

I appreciate it.

switcher
crash58
join:2012-05-22
Clarksville, TN

crash58 to switcher7

to switcher7
I have both. my dvr seemed to not like coax, so the tech switched it over to Ethernet and it works fine now. He explained that Ethernet is the best because it sends data in bits(which is what all internet devices were meant for) Coax sends data in waves which can cause certain issues(According to the att tech) He also explained that Ethernet is the best but that att will charge you to run it to your whole house. New installs come with coax installs ( I guess it is cheaper)

TestBoy
Premium Member
join:2009-10-13
Irmo, SC

TestBoy

Premium Member

IIRC they use the coax because it's already there and it saves them time.
The cable company or contractors pull RG6 by default these days in new construction.
We are not quite there when it comes to Ethernet.

I pulled all new RG6 and Cat5e cable in our house when we bought it and the tech that came out to install UVerse proceeded to cut off all my compression fitted connectors and replace my wall plates with theirs even tho the ones I had were the exact same as theirs.. but they have rules they have to follow.

He noticed that I had the same connectors and plates and told me what he was doing.. at the end he gave me my plates and connectors then apologized and explained that he had to do it in case someone happened along to inspect.

The prem tech that came out was a decent kid just following the rules.

Tech007
Premium Member
join:2013-01-25
Belleville, IL

Tech007

Premium Member

If you had AT&T fittings already they don't have to be cut and replaced again is what your saying? We can test the coax runs to make sure the signal loss on the cable is within spec so I find it odd if you had AT&T fittings already that they would be changed again

Those are always easy installs when everything has already been changed to our fittings. Just have to test for signal loss and hook up the splitter.

TestBoy
Premium Member
Irmo, SC

TestBoy

Premium Member

I don't know that they are "AT&T fittings" per se but the ones I have are made by Thomas & Betts.
The same ones he pulled out of his box ironically...
Everyone in this area seems to use them, I know that Time Warner cable is using them for sure and at the time AT&T was apparently using them.

The prem tech told me that the reason that he replaced an identical compression fitting is because the installs were "sometimes audited".
It made no difference to me because I was not paying for it.. I just found it somewhat odd, that's all.
He did keep ahold of those cut fittings until he left...

Now, I am guessing that these guys may be overly cautious about having a redo because he was adamant about calling him at his number if I had any issue within 10 days as well.
My question to him was sort of like.... "You don't want to get put on a plan do you?" and he nodded....

I can get into a real discussion about that nonsense since I worked for a large telco to remain nameless that pulled that kind of crap on us... and yes we had "performance improvement plans" and people that occasionally checked on us.

Simply put, I highly suspect that my prem tech was doing a classic CYA... I can't blame him.
He might have been on a PIP already.... who knows.

Tech007
Premium Member
Belleville, IL

Tech007

Premium Member

The funny thing is its now 30days not 10 and you can get more repeats and still be good but I have never told my cx don't call until after 10 days if your having problems that is just unprofessional to me. I always give cx my ph #, my boss office # and tell them to call me with issues that way I can troubleshoot small stuff to avoid another tech roll

Edit ok I see that he was making sure you called him and not the 800# the first 10. Misread a little
TBBroadband
join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH

TBBroadband

When I had my Biz U-verse installed I got the tech's number. Told me any time I had any problems to call before calling customer care.

TestBoy
Premium Member
Irmo, SC

TestBoy to switcher7

Premium Member

to switcher7
This was several years ago now...

I have had another tech out here after the initial install because we changed packages and got a DVR.

The initial install was done using the existing RG6 but not a few hours after the initial tech left I moved the STBs onto their own Ethernet segment so I could use the coax for something else.

When the second tech showed up a few months later he was sort of confused for a minute because their "rules" for an iNID install were to use coax and I was using Ethernet.

I told him I did it and he seemed to have some trouble with it initially but got over it. He did tell me to make sure that anyone else that visited was told that I changed it myself and that's not how it was installed.

Maybe it's the preferences of the individual tech or some blanket decree but the tech I have encountered in this area love their HPNA over coax and are not fans of Ethernet on the iNID.

(I have read that a reset of the iNID will disable the Ethernet port as it's not enabled by default and that is probably the reason)

Tech007
Premium Member
Belleville, IL

Tech007

Premium Member

its not forbidden, and actually with the new updates to the iu(The white dsl looking modem) that took place back in sept you can use the wifi boxes now too. I have had some techs use the ethernet directly of the IU now with no issues(which did use to be a no-no)

and yes if you have a power outage or tier 1/2 has your do a hard reset of the iNId then it will revert to factory and you will have to reenable the outside ethernet port
switcher7
Atlanta, GA

switcher7

Tech007, can you clarify your last comment. When you say "reenable the outside ethernet port", does that mean that just 1 of the 4 ethernet ports on the RG have to be reenabled, or do all 4 ports have to be reenabled? If all 4 ports are disabled how would you log into the RG?
Thanks
Switcher

TestBoy
Premium Member
Irmo, SC

TestBoy

Premium Member

On the iNID there is one Ethernet port on the outside.
That does not affect the 4 Ethernet ports on the inside unit.
Those will still work regardless.

The outside Ethernet port is literally outside in the iNID cabinet itself.
switcher7
Atlanta, GA

switcher7

In the event of a power outage, how would you reenable the outside ethernet port?
GoldenRemote
join:2008-02-13
Lisle/IL

GoldenRemote

If power goes out or for some reason the Inid gets factory reset you have to log into the Inid via the GUI @ 192.168.1.254 go to settings/ LAN / wired interfaces check enable outside Ethernet click save and enter the system password that's located on the power supply for the Inid
switcher7
Atlanta, GA

switcher7

My thanks to everyone for the helpful infomation. I appreciate all the help and the quick responses.
Switcher