San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS to Rebrider

MVM

to Rebrider

Re: [WIN7] Win 7 email

I have no send link in any Windows 7 menu bar; don't recall from earlier OSes, either; however, the long version of citizensin See Profile's reply:

Windows XP shipped with Internet Explorer 6; a web browser with such a menu bar option. IE6 included an e-mail client: MS Outlook Express 6. The send link/page option would invoke OEXP.

Windows Vista shipped with Internet Explorer 7; a web browser with such a menu bar option. IE7 did not include an e-mail client, but Vista did: Windows Mail. The send link/page option would invoke WinMail.

Windows 7 ships (shipped?) with Internet Explorer 8; a web browser with such a menu bar option. IE 8 did not include an e-mail client, nor does (did?) Win7.

Windows 7/Internet Explorer 8 require that you bring your own e-mail client to the party. (Note: Some computer OEMs include the Windows Live Essentials suite, which has an e-mail client. Microsoft apparently did not, maybe still does not.)

For completeness: Windows 8 ships with Internet Explorer 9; a web browser with such an option. IE9 does not include an e-mail client, but Win8 supposedly does. I can't verify that directly, though.

plencnerb
Premium Member
join:2000-09-25
53403-1242

plencnerb

Premium Member

said by NormanS:

For completeness: Windows 8 ships with Internet Explorer 9; a web browser with such an option. IE9 does not include an e-mail client, but Win8 supposedly does. I can't verify that directly, though.

Just wanted to point out that Windows 8 ships with IE 10, not IE 9.

As far as a mail client built into Windows 8, there may be some kind of App for that. I thought I saw some kind of live tile that said "Mail" with an icon of a envelop. I cannot comment on how good / bad it is, as I uninstalled all the "Apps". I've always installed a stand-alone mail client, which right now is Thunderbird. I've never used Outlook Express.

--Brian

dib22
join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO

dib22

said by plencnerb:

As far as a mail client built into Windows 8, there may be some kind of App for that. I thought I saw some kind of live tile that said "Mail" with an icon of a envelop. I cannot comment on how good / bad it is, as I uninstalled all the "Apps".

It's just another full screen hog of a app... on Fullscreen 8... oh I mean windows 8