share rss forum feed

fuziwuzi
Not born yesterday
Premium
join:2005-07-01
Atlanta, GA
reply to FFH5

Re: KB2670838 Win 7 platform update

This update can seriously degrade the use of Firefox. It happened on my system when I installed the IE10 Preview (which also installed this update). The bug is noted on Firefox »bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=812695.

So, if you use Firefox and especially if you use an ATI/AMD graphics driver, you might want to hold off installing this update.
--
Teabaggers: Destroying America is Priority #1

printscreen

join:2003-11-01
Juana Diaz, PR
Reviews:
·Choice Cable TV
·Coqui/PRTC
Too late for me. This update is causing fuzzy text on Firefox 19. I have an AMD graphics card. So far no other program is showing this behavior. And I have not installed anything related to IE 10. Still have IE 9 and have been using it today to see if I also get fuzzy text but have not so far. Attached is a picture taken from the screen when in Firefox.

Is it safe to revert this update?

La Luna
RIP Lisa
Premium
join:2001-07-12
Warwick, NY
kudos:3
said by printscreen:

Is it safe to revert this update?

I did a system restore to before all the updates, including this one. So far everything is ok. I think it's safe to remove. Someone else above also did a system restore.

F430

@qwest.net
reply to printscreen
If you have an Nvidia graphics card be very careful with this update, especially if you like any of the aero features in Windows 7. There have been a number of reports of problems with the update disabling aero completely. No way to recover except going back to a previous restore point and sometimes that doesn't work. We have had to re-image a few user's laptops due to this update. Some other graphics problems have also been reported.

Note that MS also marked this update as "Critical" when they first released it. It has since been marked "Recommended" but some users installed it as if it was critical and then lost aero and/or other graphics capabilities.

therube

join:2004-11-11
Randallstown, MD
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to printscreen

printscreen

Juana Diaz, PR
Reviews:
·Choice Cable TV
·Coqui/PRTC
reply to F430
said by F430 :

If you have an Nvidia graphics card be very careful with this update, especially if you like any of the aero features in Windows 7. There have been a number of reports of problems with the update disabling aero completely.

I have a Radeon HD 4350 card and so far no problems with Aero or anything other than the fuzzy text in Firefox.

said by therube:

You could try disabling gfx.content.azure.enabled & see if that helps.

How do I do that?

SpHeRe31459
Premium
join:2002-10-09
Sacramento, CA
kudos:2
said by printscreen:

said by therube:

You could try disabling gfx.content.azure.enabled & see if that helps.

How do I do that?

In Firefox in the address bar type "about:config" and hit enter.
Click the "I'll be careful I promise!" button.
In the search box paste in the "gfx.content.azure.enabled" string and it will jump to that configuration item. Toggle it "false" by double-clicking it. Then close and reopen Firefox.

printscreen

Juana Diaz, PR
I tried it and so far seems to work. Thanks a bunch.

Mannus
Premium
join:2005-10-25
Fort Wayne, IN
reply to printscreen
I was having the same issue. I uninstalled it and after reboot, it was offered again. I just hid this update for now. No more fuzzy text. I have an ATI HD4650 card installed BTW.

woodie

join:2000-09-23
Gulf Breeze, FL
reply to printscreen
Worked for me too, thanks SpHeRe31459!! I was beginning to think that my 67 year old eyes were going bad! Who would've thought it was a Microsoft update!!