how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

yzor
Premium
join:2003-01-03
Jacksonville, FL

zip 32211 speeds , did they ever upgrade to d2?

Hi all.

I want to get rid of uverse, not because its does not work but because they force me t0 rent (the modem) for 6 bucks a month. I want to buy 1, but no deal.

Here is the problem, the last time I tried Comcast about 2010 with a DOCSIS 2/1.1 modem (Motorola SB5101), they could only after much trying only get 6/1 (was really like 4mg down and 512kb up), since this what not was promised I canceled immediately. Now I am not really wanting Comcast but they are claiming higher speeds and you can own the modem.

So how can I know for sure that my house can get DOCSIS 3 profile and speeds ahead of time? Or will I have just have to experiment again? Anyone know if this old area was really updated? Last time in 2009 they claimed it was updated from 1.1 to 2, but If it was no 1 could get the modem to work with a DOCSIS 2 profile.

any help or advice is appreciated. Thanks for your time.

ExoticFish

join:2008-08-31
Stuarts Draft, VA

Call Comcast and ask the sale department what speeds are available at your home...
--
»www.VAJeeps.com | »www.ChinchillasForum.com

Chris 313
Come get some
Premium
join:2004-07-18
Houma, LA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Vonage
·Comcast
·Comcast Digital ..

1 recommendation

reply to yzor

said by yzor:

Hi all.

I want to get rid of uverse, not because its does not work but because they force me t0 rent (the modem) for 6 bucks a month. I want to buy 1, but no deal.

Here is the problem, the last time I tried Comcast about 2010 with a DOCSIS 2/1.1 modem (Motorola SB5101), they could only after much trying only get 6/1 (was really like 4mg down and 512kb up), since this what not was promised I canceled immediately. Now I am not really wanting Comcast but they are claiming higher speeds and you can own the modem.

So how can I know for sure that my house can get DOCSIS 3 profile and speeds ahead of time? Or will I have just have to experiment again? Anyone know if this old area was really updated? Last time in 2009 they claimed it was updated from 1.1 to 2, but If it was no 1 could get the modem to work with a DOCSIS 2 profile.

any help or advice is appreciated. Thanks for your time.

Aside from being told to call and check what speeds, you can look up your area on Comcast.com and see what your area offers (Beware, the page sometimes jumps the gun as to what is offered and what is really actually available at the moment.)

Since you're talking about owning your own modem, get one of these: »www.amazon.com/Zoom-DOCSIS-Cable···le+modem

Or this one

»www.amazon.com/Motorola-SurfBoar···a+SB6141

They are the current tech and are future proof depending on how fast you wanna go right off.

There are upgrades coming for any Non-NE area users from March to May, that will give speeds from 25/4, 50/15 or 105/20 depending on the package you're on. »Source: New Comcast Speeds Arrive For Most in March

If you get hooked up this time and have problems, come back and we can help you get squared. Your previous experience of being sold 6/1 and getting 4/512 sounds like your modem wasn't sent the correct speed file.

Hope that helps you. I can sympathize with wanting to switch from U-Verse. Their efforts to put out a 100 speed have already been surpassed by Comcast's offering and they're getting ready to up it again. How will AT&T compete with their antique network, eh?

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

reply to yzor

Hmmm, Uverse around here can only offer me 18Mbps at their top speed (supposed to be 24, but not here).

Comcast's mid-tier can match that or better.

Not many locations left that are not upgraded to D3. If you are still in Jacksonville, FL area, they are D3 and run with 8 bonded channels downstream.

Nab yourself a Zoom 5341J, hook it up to a decent router, and you should do just fine.
--
Deeds, not words

jramailig

join:2012-10-29
Atlanta, GA
reply to yzor

You should ask in the Comcast Direct support forum. My area's local office speed-tiers are different from the online offerings. The local office still had Blast! as 20/4 with PowerBoost while the Comcast site had it as 30/6. The official comcast site is also missing the Extreme plan which, I found out, is actually available after I asked on the direct support forum.

yzor
Premium
Jacksonville, FL

ok, thanks.

yzor
Premium
Jacksonville, FL
reply to jramailig

Well totally ignored there, oh well I guess I have to go ask a few neighbors.