uniqs
share rss forum feed

Camelot One
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-21
Greenwood, IN
kudos:2
reply to HarryH3

Re: Laptop needs to last all day. External battery docks???

I have had no luck finding current laptop models that work with a true docking station. The options now are just universal port replicators that do nothing for power.

But.....if your client would be in a position to use a docking station, why not just buy a spare AC adapter to accomplish the same goal?

As for the portable power packs, my experience with them has been that they will run the laptop, or slowly charge the battery, but not both at the same time. This may vary based on the model of laptop and how much power it needs. But regardless, the discharge rate from the battery pack will be less than an AC adapter, so you would get faster charging by just plugging it in.

I will point out that the latest i-7 CPUs will run longer than the latest i-5s, as counter intuitive as that may seem. I've found that per kw/h, the AMD e-350/e-450 series gets the best battery life, but most of the laptop models that have them don't have extended battery options. (which seems stupid) The new(er) ultra-portables have great battery life, (acer S7 for example) but most of them are now using internal batteries that can't be swapped out without removing screws and panels.

If you can go Android, the Asus Transformer series tablets have a keyboard/mouse "dock" that has a massive battery in it. When docked, it looks and feels like a normal laptop. Between the dock battery and the tablet battery, you would get a full day of use.

pnjunction
Teksavvy Extreme
Premium
join:2008-01-24
Toronto, ON
kudos:1

said by Camelot One:

I have had no luck finding current laptop models that work with a true docking station. The options now are just universal port replicators that do nothing for power.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean but at work we all have Latitude 'port replicators' that are plugged into the wall via AC adapter and provide power to the laptop when docked. Very convenient since it hooks up power, wired LAN, 2nd monitor and whatever USB accessories you have by simply plunking it down.

Camelot One
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-21
Greenwood, IN
kudos:2

Then I stand corrected, didn't realize the Dell's still had that option.

AlphaOne
I see
Premium
join:2004-02-21

HP ProBook laptops still use docking stations. I know, it's infront of me right now. I have multiple monitors plugged in, as well as the keyboard (mouse is wireless), and yeah, it charge the laptop's battery too.