All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
Samgee
join:2010-08-02
canada

Samgee to xsbell

to xsbell

Re: What does the CBB ruling mean to you and me?

said by xsbell:

Their plans are ridiculous. And what are peak hours, 5pm - 11pm? lol

$45.95/month for 8Mbps (during peak hours, 18Mbps off-peak, no term)

$49.95/month for 14Mbps (during peak hours, 28Mbps off-peak, no term)

(That's for Ontario only. ^^)

Why are you viewing their plans in a negative light? Who are you trying to convince that it's a bad deal?

Compared to the other providers, those prices for even the speeds you've suggested they represent (which they don't) are in line. Teksavvy offers unlimited 14/1 for $48.95 a month. The only plan from start that is unlimited is their 6/.256 plan for $39.95, which if you're complaining about slow speeds I don't imagine is something you'd consider.

So, for $1 more per month ($5 less if you pay for a year) you get the same as the next competitor PLUS double the speed for the majority of the day PLUS a free VPN if you're at all concerned about recent court filings PLUS 100gb of online storage if you have files you want to backup off site.

Really, what is there to complain about in their pricing? Show me a better deal. I've been looking for about 2 years now and nothing comes close.

xsbell
join:2008-12-22
Canada

xsbell

said by Samgee:

Show me a better deal. I've been looking for about 2 years now and nothing comes close.

I'm not trying convince anyone that it's a bad deal, my gripe is calling it a 28Mbps plan when you're only going to get 18Mbps when you use it.

How about 35/3 for $49.95/month from Start, and they won't rate limit during peak hours. Sure it's only 250GB of usage, but honestly, how many people are going to go over that? Not too many.
d_source
join:2011-01-18

d_source

To each their own. I'd prefer an unlimited and somewhat throttled internet vs an unthrottled but capped internet any day of the week. Even if I don't use 250GB per month today (which I don't) i don't want to have to worry about it tomorrow. And I feel the support needs to be there for unlimited internet more than speed increases, which for most needs are negligible (in today's internet) and I do a lot of video streaming on my current 18/0.5 connection. Most, if not all, buffering issues are on the server end, not my end.
Expand your moderator at work

Canaca
Premium Member
join:2007-03-05
Mississauga, ON

2 edits

Canaca to xsbell

Premium Member

to xsbell

Re: What does the CBB ruling mean to you and me?

I will not get into the max rate limit since it has already been discuses in the previous posts.

In regards to your question if 250GB is enough? In my opinion not even close. If your an over the top IPTV client you can easily expect to exceed 250GB. Over the last several months I have been consistently using over 1TB per month. This is with 3-4 -STB's in the house. Usually 3 since one is in debug mode.
d_source
join:2011-01-18

d_source

I agree 100%. We need to support unlimited more than anything else.

And just so everyone knows, I'm not with Acanac.
Samgee
join:2010-08-02
canada

Samgee to xsbell

to xsbell
said by xsbell:

I'm not trying convince anyone that it's a bad deal, my gripe is calling it a 28Mbps plan when you're only going to get 18Mbps when you use it.

How about 35/3 for $49.95/month from Start, and they won't rate limit during peak hours. Sure it's only 250GB of usage, but honestly, how many people are going to go over that? Not too many.

You have no gripe since they are calling it exactly what it is. They aren't being misleading, and based on what I read in these forums and others many of the other providers users are seeing speed reductions during peak times, only they are paying for full speeds that aren't there.

Many suspect we may see some price changes or cap reductions from Start based on recent comments by it's operator who has said they were previously operating at a loss expecting pricing in the recent ruling to come down, when costs instead went up. For now if you are not worried about usage, then that is not a bad deal from start (still $6 more a month). We'll see if it lasts. It doesn't work for me because it's not unlimited, which is far more important to me than an extra 7 down.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to Canaca

MVM

to Canaca
said by Canaca:

I will not get into the max rate limit since it has already been discuses in the previous posts.

In regards to your question if 250GB is enough? In my opinion not even close. If your an over the top IPTV client you can easily expect to exceed 250GB. Over the last several months I have been consistently using over 1TB per month. This is with 3-4 -STB's in the house. Usually 3 since one is in debug mode.

Why not offer a higher tier with no throttling for an additional fee?
zorxd
join:2010-02-05
Quebec, QC

zorxd

said by Guspaz:

it would make more sense to offer an higher tier, period.
Like a 60 Mbps cable rate-limited to 30 Mbps during peak hours.

It make no sense to throttle all day to 30 Mbps when you could offer 60 Mbps most of the time for the same price.
dgass
join:2007-09-27
Etobicoke, ON

dgass to Canaca

to Canaca
said by Canaca:

I've read this thread over, and I must ask has anyone mentioned that this rate limit that is in place does it also reduce lag spikes? I've been with Teksavvy DSL for years. But family and friends chose to go with Tek Cable and they seem to get lag spikes in the evenings. So for all us gamers out there that are gaming during prime time and NOT streaming I think this network management is PERFECT. On top of it you would enjoy a lower monthly cost to other indies for an unlimited account.

My connection is the 25/10 VDSL with Tek unlimited with static IP pretty $$. I have not seen any ripple or lag spikes but cable users sure seem to.

pick picking
@videotron.ca

pick picking to Guspaz

Anon

to Guspaz
said by Guspaz:

Why though? If people want that they can go elsewhere. There are other resellers. Why do they need to offer this?

Canaca
Premium Member
join:2007-03-05
Mississauga, ON

Canaca to Guspaz

Premium Member

to Guspaz
said by Guspaz:

said by Canaca:

Technically it's already offered through our parent company »www.distributel.ca/en/ca ··· Internet

Our current plans are tailored at a specific subset of clientele. We can't be everything to everyone.
Canaca

Canaca to dgass

Premium Member

to dgass
said by dgass:

said by Canaca:

I've read this thread over, and I must ask has anyone mentioned that this rate limit that is in place does it also reduce lag spikes? I've been with Teksavvy DSL for years. But family and friends chose to go with Tek Cable and they seem to get lag spikes in the evenings. So for all us gamers out there that are gaming during prime time and NOT streaming I think this network management is PERFECT. On top of it you would enjoy a lower monthly cost to other indies for an unlimited account.

My connection is the 25/10 VDSL with Tek unlimited with static IP pretty $$. I have not seen any ripple or lag spikes but cable users sure seem to.

This is one of biggest advantages of using Rate limiting over line saturation. Simply put if it's done correctly lag is avoided.

Now in regards to the Cable service. In some areas it has nothing to do with the independent ISP. The problem may be accuring even before it reaches the ISP's interconnects. If that is the case it's up-to to incumbent to resolve the issue.

rogerstv
@teksavvy.com

rogerstv

Anon

And that's why I just switched to Acanac, I hover between 250gb to 300 thanks to Netflix and kids in the house and don't want to look over my should in case there's a spike one month and I'm paying .50/gb Robbers charges .75/gb. This is the perfect storm to shake up the industry and Acanac became the logical choice. Sure I'm stuck with 1GB upload but this provider doesn't seem to have complaints for congestion /performance issues. Now I have a year to see what the industry does. This is a golden opportunity for bell to get more fiber out there and steal customers away from Robbers as well since DSL costs have been adjusted down. Notice the incumbants try to entice with new speeds while constantly reducing the caps because they don't want our money going to Netflix and Hulu south of the border. Robbers and BHELL created this problem themselves with constant price hikes, $70/month is ridiculous for watching commercials.

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

2 edits

Davesnothere to d_source

Premium Member

to d_source
said by d_source:

To each their own. I'd prefer an unlimited and somewhat throttled internet vs an unthrottled but capped internet any day of the week....

said by d_source:

....We need to support 'unlimited' [monthly usage] more than anything else....

While I personally do not share your feelings/needs (I'm OK with caps as long as the caps are not TOO stupidly low), I DO agree with those who say that if IISPs want to sell unlimited monthly usage, that they will have to the limit momentary bandwidth (aka the speed) for some of the time.

We simply cannot have everything at once here, and those who still think that we can just do not understand the dynamics of how it all works.

Sorry, but it's true, folks.

The only thing remaining to be decided is just how much our IISPs feel that they will need to compromise one factor to achieve another, and which factor it is that each figures to be more important to them and their customers.
Davesnothere

1 edit

Davesnothere to Canaca

Premium Member

to Canaca
said by Canaca:

....Our current plans are tailored at a specific subset of clientele.

We can't be everything to everyone.

BINGO !!!

Same as I said just above, that we cannot have the best of all things at the same time, AND keep the price reasonable too.

And if an IISP tried to, it would fail, just as some other IISPs who figure that they can may well learn (and still others have already).
InvalidError
join:2008-02-03

InvalidError to Canaca

to Canaca
said by Canaca:

This is one of biggest advantages of using Rate limiting over line saturation. Simply put if it's done correctly lag is avoided.

You could run with saturated links and still have no lag (on sensitive traffic) if there was proper QoS tagging and priority-based queuing both ways throughout the network and incumbents honored QoS tagging within their network.

Of course, there is no such support in current GAS/TPIA tariffs. This is just one more of those things that would be possible if incumbents could be convinced to do things properly the modern way rather than stick to ancient and inefficient ways of doing things.