how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

mdlund0

join:2011-08-02
Lawrence, KS

The point?

I suppose I'm not sure what the point of the whole thing is. The NSA is listening, and I think most of us agree that we don't like the government listening. But they're doing NOTHING with all the information... that's the crux of this decision: no one has been impacted. What's the point of a lawsuit where no one was harmed? What's the point of spending billions of dollars to collect information that will never be used? What's the point of all this trouble?

TechnoGeek

join:2013-01-07
What about the FBI agents who misused info?

I have a problem with so much information (i.e. power) being secretly obtained. Human nature makes this a big problem. Waaay too tempting (after all, no oversight) to just misuse it a bit.

That is what I object to.

The national safety bit doesn't bother me so much (I want them to catch the bad guys), but they must not do it at the expense of constitutional freedom. This is the major objective to domestic spying.

Benjamin Franklin said (at least we think he did): "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."

FFH5
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5
reply to mdlund0
said by mdlund0:

I suppose I'm not sure what the point of the whole thing is. The NSA is listening, and I think most of us agree that we don't like the government listening. But they're doing NOTHING with all the information... that's the crux of this decision: no one has been impacted. What's the point of a lawsuit where no one was harmed? What's the point of spending billions of dollars to collect information that will never be used? What's the point of all this trouble?

It is used - to catch and kill terrorists overseas before they can get here.
--
I will be perfectly happy if the budget cuts specified in the Budget Control Act go into effect. 3 cheers for the sequester. Take the money from the drunken federal spenders.

Twaddle

@sbcglobal.net
reply to mdlund0
The oint is you don't know what they are doing wiht YOUR information, They won't tell you,your lawyer or Congress what they are doing and now have made warrant-less wiretapping LEGAL even when they got caught breaking the law. The Supreme Court (Worthless tits) sided with the Executive and legislative branches and declared everything hunky dory and piss on the American public.
They have harassed and intimidated those who actually knew something to the point the whistle-blowers are gutted. Welcome to the new Reich