share rss forum feed

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17
kudos:4

India's Spies Want Data on Every BlackBerry Worldwide

»www.slate.com/blogs/future_tense···ide.html

In late 2012, back when it was still officially known as Research in Motion, the company behind BlackBerry handsets worked with the Indian government to enable surveillance of Blackberry Messenger and Blackberry Internet Service emails. But now India’s authorities are complaining that they can only spy on communications sent between the estimated 1 million BlackBerry users in India—and they want a list of all BlackBerry handsets across the globe.

Each BlackBerry handset is allocated a unique PIN that can be used to send messages for free to other BlackBerry users. The service has caused security concerns because these messages, sent encrypted over special servers, can be difficult to intercept and therefore used by criminals to evade surveillance. However, though India’s government says its spooks have now been provided with a list of all Indian BlackBerry users’ PIN codes—meaning monitoring communications of these users is now feasible—the authorities don’t have PIN codes of foreign users. That makes it difficult for them to identify and eavesdrop on messages sent between India and people in other countries. And that’s what they want to change.

As India’s Economic Times reported yesterday, “a government panel has recommended that BlackBerry be asked to provide access to 'PIN' details of all its handsets across the globe to enable intelligence agencies in the country to track messages exchanged between Indian subscribers and those living abroad.”

-- RIM/Blackberry don't do it. It will kill your company deader than a door nail even if Apple/Google/Microsoft/Nokia also hand over information to the Indians. India has picked on RIM/Blackberry to be the public posterboy for casting doubt on the privacy of customer data/messages. Cave to the Indians (or others) and I'll never buy a RIM product again.

DanteX

join:2010-09-09
kudos:1

Whats with this ever increasing hardon for erasing privacy and ability to snoop through everyone's communications?

What is so dangerous of a threat to humanity that privacy needs to be abolished?

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
reply to MaynardKrebs

I dont see this happening... RIM should just shut down service in India, and the backlash from this would be so huge that the government would relent.
--
F**K THE NHL. Go Blue Jays 2013!!!

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17
kudos:4

I think they'd like to sell a few million Z10 handsets there first.

MacGyver
Don't Waste Your Energy
Premium,ExMod 2003-05
join:2001-10-14
Canada
kudos:2
reply to HiVolt

I doubt it. This is a country where, although the constitution outlaws it, there are de-facto socio-economic castes, and the life of a cow is more valuable than that of people.

Shrug

@videotron.ca
reply to MaynardKrebs

What makes you think it doesn't happen here. Seems to me it's already been stated that any non-Canadian-citizen, or messages to & from non-Canadian-citizen are intercepted per the laws of the land here.

They already do it for all communications (ie. Email), that's how they nailed the ottawa "so-called" terrorist.

So again, What makes you think it doesn't happen here? It already does.

Would a Canadian company deny Canadian intelligence snooping powers. They all do it, or it's all funneled through Intel. You think Rim is an exception? They got super exemption status over every other telecom just because?

shepd

join:2004-01-17
Kitchener, ON
kudos:1
reply to MaynardKrebs

I really doubt that any company could allow another country to spy on EVERYTHING rather than just that country's data. Else once you release data from your home country, you'd be up on treason charges.

It boggles my mind why India think they could even make such a request when if the Canadian government asked to spy on Indian emails they'd be up in arms about it.

HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet

join:2005-05-29
Windsor, ON
kudos:5
reply to MaynardKrebs

You're already being spied on. Some Canadian banks use US credit card transaction services. The US probably scoops that information and hands it back to Canadian intelligence services.

US phone companies uses offshore billing services. They probably send that information back to the US intelligence services.

All those offshore call centres have access to so much customer data that it's scary. I'm sure there's good money in selling data on citizens back to their home country's government.

A convenient loophole around "spying on your own citizens".
--
MNSi Internet - »www.mnsi.net