StillLearn
Premium
join:2002-03-21
Streamwood, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T Midwest
reply to cFern

Re: Neighbor Noise through Vent Return

Viewing your latest pictures, is the neighbor's wall what we are looking at? Are there resistant clips that keeps each sheet of drywall from contacting the stud directly? If so, I would expect that you and your neighbor are mixing your cold air returns. If you have to deal with this yourself, I would look into soundproofing techniques.

If you were to get a warranty to pay for this, shoddy as it is, I suspect you would have to find that it did not meet code. I would check with the local building department. This is a big deal. I would consider moving.

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17
kudos:4
said by StillLearn:

Viewing your latest pictures, is the neighbor's wall what we are looking at? Are there resistant clips that keeps each sheet of drywall from contacting the stud directly?

It looks as though it might be 2x4 studs staggered on a 2x6 top/bottom plate. This is commonly used on interior walls within the SAME home for sound attenuation, or on exterior walls as a way to thermally-break the studs from the outside - but I've NEVER seen anything like this in a fire block common wall between adjoining dwellings (unless there some really stupid building code that I'm not aware of).

LazMan
Premium
join:2003-03-26
canada
2x6 top and bottom plates, with 2x4 studs are very common as dividing walls in town houses...

I had one that was built in '99 that was that way; and looked at one under construction in '05 that was the same. As long as 5/8's rated drywall is used on one side, it counts as a firewall... Insulation knocks the sound down, although doesn't completely prevent transmission.

Warzau
Premium
join:2000-10-26
Naperville, IL
kudos:1
I used to live in one of the best town homes ever. I swear I couldn't hear my neighbors at ALL. Shoot the trains next to us barely a whimper. The only time I heard the neighbor was when their newborn was crying and that was barely audible. IIRC they had the staggered studs and 5/8 on both sides and to boot insulation between the walls. The HOA was great something that isn't true many places. I miss that place