spc
uniqs

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

Re: New Guides for SA/Cisco Areas (Info from Ted Hodgins Blog)

said by telcodad:

And it looks like my area of NJ will be getting the S26 update in mid-February:

From ComcastTeds
1-03-2013 4:02 PM

... The Monmouth County and Ocean County areas are currently scheduled for mid-February.

The latest update now for the Monmouth and Ocean County NJ areas:

From ComcastTeds
2-25-2013 11:39 AM

... Monmouth County and Ocean County are currently scheduled for early March pending final internal approvals. Once we get closer to that date I will be sure and confirm that information here. Thanks for your patience.

SeanBecker
@comcast.net

SeanBecker

Anon

It's always changing and quite frankly, being IN Ocean County, we're getting fed up with the incompetence of the decision makers. We were supposed to get the update before the snowstorm hit and we got delayed again. Then instead of them making it up to us by doing us immediately, they went off to do other states instead. Comcast couldn't find their head if it was glued to their hand.

Mike Wolf
join:2009-05-24
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

I do have to agree that I'm starting to get a bit tired of the wait myself.
I heard from a tech that was visiting last Monday that his boss said March 6th. Ted hasn't responded.

SeanWhite
@comcast.net

SeanWhite

Anon

Lack of progress with SA/Cisco Cable Boxes updated

This is a collaborated open letter I was sent from a few people who wished to express some troubles they are having. These are their words, not mine:

We're just confused at this point because we assumed our area was scheduled to get the update the week a few days before the snowstorm hit and that when the restoration effort in New England was over that that schedule would pick up where it was left off but instead most of Pennsylvania was done, and then most recently Alexandria and Arlington, Virginia was done. We noticed we were told that Southern Jersey would be done by the end of February and then some magical decision without consideration to us real customers was made to accommodate "other projects" and "customer-related business needs" to push us again to a generic time by the end of March just like everyone else, an empty party line. We're sure another excuse will be made and we'll all be pushed to June. We bet the decision makers already have their update regardless of their location so they are in no big hurry and are dragging their feet. We know it's not Teds fault for the lack of information, he's being very nice in giving us updates, it's just very frustrating when the information we do get is either unrelated to our specific location or the same "end of March 2013" statement. It's as if Comcast simply has no concept of time management and scheduling and can't plan a day in advance. Hypothetically, Us questioning this would give us the response of "things come up" and our response would be "not our problem, we're paying for a service, figure it out without negatively affecting us. Hire more engineers and techs, you got the money we pay you".

It just feels like we're being strung along like sheep. We're always thanked for our patience but at some point very very soon our patience is going to run out and then what? Not like we're going to get reimbursed for making us wait longer because of decisions made that affect us without consideration. The entire point of this thread is to keep us customers up to date in what is going on with Comcast and yet we get ever so slightly more then the generic response we'd get if we called the 1800 number and get a call center overseas. Again we know this isn't Ted's fault and no one here is blaming him in the least.

Ok there we go. Those are not my words, I'm just passing them along as requested.
mariod
join:2009-06-16

1 recommendation

mariod

That's a pretty immature "letter" that people should be embarrassed to be associated with.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

I disagree I think there are some valid points.
mariod
join:2009-06-16

mariod

"us real customers"

"We bet the decision makers already have their update regardless of their location so they are in no big hurry and are dragging their feet."

"not our problem, we're paying for a service, figure it out without negatively affecting us. Hire more engineers and techs, you got the money we pay you".

If I worked for Comcast, and received something this bratty, I'd push whatever they are complaining about back another two months. Its embarrassing that someone would even take the amount of time to write something like that out to complain about a SOFTWARE UPDATE to a set top box. Grow up.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

I could certainly understand the frustration these individuals feel.

mountlaurel
@army.mil

mountlaurel

Anon

"Mike Wolf" Do you know if the "Channels Not Available" message that I am receiveing on my TIVO Premiere is a "Cable Card" problem??? Never had a problem until after Christmas. Is it because my Cisco area went to the I-Guide (A25)? Thanks

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

updated stuff

which channels in particular. You mean like this »tinypic.com/view.php?pic ··· pqb9&s=6 ?
or
»support.tivo.com/euf/ass ··· able.jpg
or do you mean »i68.photobucket.com/albu ··· s012.jpg

Cisco areas are using the S25 software guide and moving to the S26 software guide. This change wouldn't affect the TiVo since it runs on the cableboxes. There is supposed to be a firmware update to the Cisco/SA cablecards to correct a "not authorized" message that randomly appears on both the cablecard equipped cableboxes, and any customer owned device that uses a cablecard such as TiVo and Moxi and home theater computers. Unfortunately I don't have any information about what firmware version was pushed to the cards but once I know that information I can look into it with Cisco's support and look into the release notes to see if there are any known issues. You can find the card information if you go to Settings & Messages -> Settings -> Remote, CableCARD, & Devices -> CableCARD Decoder -> CableCARD Options -> CableCARD Menu -> CableCARD Diag Screen

then look for
H/W Model:
Bldr Ver:
OS Ver:
Build Time:

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

Re: New Guides for SA/Cisco Areas (Info from Ted Hodgins Blog)

said by telcodad:

said by telcodad:

And it looks like my area of NJ will be getting the S26 update in mid-February:

From ComcastTeds
1-03-2013 4:02 PM

... The Monmouth County and Ocean County areas are currently scheduled for mid-February.

The latest update now for the Monmouth and Ocean County NJ areas:

From ComcastTeds
2-25-2013 11:39 AM

... Monmouth County and Ocean County are currently scheduled for early March pending final internal approvals. Once we get closer to that date I will be sure and confirm that information here. Thanks for your patience.

Looks like continued delays for the S26 deployment in NJ given today's update:

From ComcastTeds
3-6-2013 10:42 AM

... Our schedule in NJ has been impacted by a few weather events and some other business and customer priorities. We continue to work with the local NJ Comcast teams to get this update deployed.

I will be sure and post the confirmed dates here (as I have done all along for each area).

Thanks for your continued patience.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

Not surprised. Starting to think it's a personal vendetta against us lol
The Q
join:2008-06-26
Collegeville, PA

The Q

said by Mike Wolf:

Not surprised. Starting to think it's a personal vendetta against us lol

Perhaps its more to do with the recent weather sitaution in new jersey that is keeping comcast busy.... perhaps...

»www.pressofatlanticcity. ··· 3f4.html

»www.nj.com/news/index.ss ··· ing.html

LeeDeMarco
@comcast.net

LeeDeMarco

Anon

Just sounds like blaming the weather for the lack of progress, there has been plenty of time since the beginning of February to roll out a software update between storms. Comcast just keeps "loaning out" their people for out of state projects instead of completing their tasks at home. What they could do is pool resources together from unaffected areas like the West coast or areas already upgraded, that way projects actually get completed.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf to The Q

to The Q
I doubt that's the real reason.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

FYI - The latest status for the S26 update deployment:

From ComcastTeds
3-22-2013 2:11 PM

... We had initially anticipated that all impacted locations would be complete by the end of March 2013. We are now at 44% complete. We obviously aren’t going to make the end of March timeline for all locations as I initially communicated and for that I apologize.

As mentioned earlier in this thread, we knew and communicated that a few locations were moving into April. That will now be the case for the majority of the remainder of our locations.

As areas get confirmed, we will certainly list them here.

For NJ, we have Monmouth and Ocean Counties currently scheduled for April 9. The remainder of NJ - Cherry Hill and vicinity - are currently scheduled for April 16.

Those are not confirmed dates but scheduled dates. As we get closer to those dates, we will evaluate the current situation in each area (as we always do) and get alignment with our local teams on the best timing for our customers (and the business) before moving ahead.

Thanks again for your continued patience and understanding. We will get these updates out to the remainder of our locations as quickly as reasonably possible.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

Seems to be due to them not wanting to screw up the nationwide watchaton »corporate.comcast.com/co ··· all-free

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

Here's the latest info on the S26 update deployment for Monmouth and Ocean counties in NJ:

From ComcastTeds
4-5-2013 11:59 AM

SCHEDULE UPDATE

Customers in the areas listed below are currently scheduled to get the referenced on-screen guide updates and new features next week.

NEW JERSEY

Allenhurst, Atlantic Highlands, Barnegat, Bay Head, Beachwood, Berkeley, Brick, Brick Township, Bricktown, Cedar Bonnet Island, Clearbrook, Concordia, Cranbury, Crestwood, Deal, Dover, Dover Township, Eagleswood, East Brunswick, East Windsor, Eatontown, Fair Haven, Fort Monmouth, Freehold, Greenbriar, Harvey Cedars, Hazlet, Helmetta, Highlands, Hightstown, Holmdel, Island Heights, Jamesburg, Lacey Township, Lakehurst, Little Egg Harbor, Little Silver, Loch Arbour, Long Beach Township, Long Branch, Manchester, Mantoloking, Middletown, Monmouth Beach. Monroe, Ocean Gate, Ocean Township, Oceanport, Pine Beach, Pine Hurst Estates, Plainsboro, Point Pleasant, Point Pleasant Beach, Red Bank, Roosevelt, Rossmore, Rumson, Sea Bright, Ship Bottom, Shrewsbury Borough, South Brunswick, South Toms River, Spotswood, Stafford Township, Surf City, Tinton Falls, Toms River, Tuckerton, Twin Rivers, West Long Branch, West Windsor, Whiting.

Details on the new features available are detailed in the initial post in this thread. Additional information can be found at »www.xfinity.com/meetyourguide

Additional locations will be announced as they are confirmed. All locations are expected to be completed in early 2013. Thanks for your patience.

mountlaurel
@army.mil

mountlaurel

Anon

"MikeWolf" I'm sorry if I asked this before but is this Cable Card firmware update to fix the "Momentary Black Screen" and "Channels Not Authorized" message when channels should be Authorized or be available? I have TIVO Premiere on the Garden State, NJ system and this problem is very annoying. Thanks. I believe next Tuesday (16 APR 2013) is our day.
SpHeRe31459
Premium Member
join:2002-10-09
Sacramento, CA

SpHeRe31459

Premium Member

said by mountlaurel :

"MikeWolf" I'm sorry if I asked this before but is this Cable Card firmware update to fix the "Momentary Black Screen" and "Channels Not Authorized" message when channels should be Authorized or be available? I have TIVO Premiere on the Garden State, NJ system and this problem is very annoying. Thanks. I believe next Tuesday (16 APR 2013) is our day.

Since you're a TiVo user, you should have posted in the TiVo thread here:
»Re: [TiVo] TiVo access to XFINITY On Demand
In the post I linked to Mike said that Comcast's official solution is to give you a newer CableCARD the PKM801 (there is also an PKM802, but I don't know if Comcast is using them)

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf to mountlaurel

to mountlaurel
said by mountlaurel :

Correct. As per the release bulletin for firmware version 1.5.2.3001 which mentions a few reasons for the black screen, they are noted as being fixed. »www.cisco.com/en/US/docs ··· 3001.pdf

Lately I haven't been experiencing any black screens or unauthorized messages prior to the new firmware, but if after the firmware it still occurs, I'll let you know.
Mike Wolf

Mike Wolf to SpHeRe31459

to SpHeRe31459
Actually he is mentioning an issue separate from the Xfinity On Demand topic. There has been an issue with Cisco cablecards in both customer owned equipment such as Moxi and TiVo and HTPC's and in leased equipment such as the Cisco RNG series boxes since 2010-2011 where after a certain number of channel changes or literally doing nothing, a "channel not authorized" message with a black screen and no audio appears on screen even though the channel is in fact authorized. I spoke with Ted Hodgins about this on Comcast Voices in 2011 and was told a firmware update from Cisco would be needed to correct this issue which was supposed to be pushed out March 2012 and it never was. I'm going to assume that this is that firmware update.

From what I understand and read the Scientific Atlanta labeled PKM802 is a leased equipment card only (to only be installed in their Cisco set top boxes just like the Cisco labeled PKM803 which replaces it) and isn't for customer owned equipment like the Scientific Atlanta labeled PKM800 and Cisco labeled PKM801 is.

FifthE1ement
Tech Nut
join:2005-03-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL

FifthE1ement

said by Mike Wolf:

Actually he is mentioning an issue separate from the Xfinity On Demand topic. There has been an issue with Cisco cablecards in both customer owned equipment such as Moxi and TiVo and HTPC's and in leased equipment such as the Cisco RNG series boxes since 2010-2011 where after a certain number of channel changes or literally doing nothing, a "channel not authorized" message with a black screen and no audio appears on screen even though the channel is in fact authorized. I spoke with Ted Hodgins about this on Comcast Voices in 2011 and was told a firmware update from Cisco would be needed to correct this issue which was supposed to be pushed out March 2012 and it never was. I'm going to assume that this is that firmware update.

From what I understand and read the Scientific Atlanta labeled PKM802 is a leased equipment card only (to only be installed in their Cisco set top boxes just like the Cisco labeled PKM803 which replaces it) and isn't for customer owned equipment like the Scientific Atlanta labeled PKM800 and Cisco labeled PKM801 is.

I've seen this issue almost monthly in the Pace RNG110.

mountlaurel
@army.mil

mountlaurel to Mike Wolf

Anon

to Mike Wolf
"MikeWolf" Did you receive the New Firmware/Upgrade for cable card last night???

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

I can confirm that Monmouth County, NJ received the S26 update overnight.
The Q
join:2008-06-26
Collegeville, PA

The Q to FifthE1ement

to FifthE1ement
said by FifthE1ement:

I've seen this issue almost monthly in the Pace RNG110.

does comcast use the pace Rng110 in Cisco areas?

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

I believe the Pace RNG110 is used only in Comcast's Motorola systems.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

2 edits

Mike Wolf to mountlaurel

to mountlaurel
Click for full size
sorry for the poor picture, was taken on a cellphone
Yes we rolled out and received the new cablecard firmware at 3:30am. In fact my picture quality looks better now then ever before. Comcast really must have the "magic touch" this time around.

Yes the S26 software update for the RNG set top equipment was rolled out at 4:42am. We're all very happy so far, and especially like the "Welcome to Xfinity" message and loading screen informing the customer of what is being loaded along with a countdown clock, very snazzy In fact I've noticed both new diagnostic screens and the restoration of lost features such as giving descriptions of hard drive statistics and serial and model numbers/names. All that is left is for Comcast to do is to rollout MPEG4 across the board in place of MPEG2, get them to agree to use Netflix Open Connect SuperHD, and get the rollout for Xfinity On Demand for TiVo in Cisco/SA markets completed.

mountlaurel
@army.mil

mountlaurel

Anon

Thanks for reply back. Hopefully our day (Garden State) is still on for next Tuesday (16 APR 2013) for Cable card update. I did read your post (Mike) about when Comcast adds Ondemand for TIVO that the 800 Model cable cards won't work. I do have a 800 Model card.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad to Mike Wolf

MVM

to Mike Wolf
I didn't have much time to check out all the changes with the S26 update before leaving home this morning, but I did see that the channel guide is now displayed in 4:3 format, instead of being stretched full-screen to 16:9 as it was previously. That change did not bother me that much, maybe because I was prepared for it.

I did find that one of my Cisco RNG150 HD STBs was displaying a message that viewing HD channels was not authorized, while I could still view HD channels just fine on my other RNG150 box. However, my wife reported later on that the HD channels were now displaying OK on that box, so maybe it just experienced an initial boot-up issue after the update first completed.

Now I'll just have to see if this update does fix those erroneous "Not Authorized" screens that I occasionally get when changing channels.