Go Colts
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7
reply to Gami00

Re: It's only illegal if you're caught

said by Gami00:

Wouldn't it be easier if your Government/Prez just declared Martial Law...

As the saying goes, if you put a frog in a boiling pot of water, he'll immediately try to jump out. But if you put him in cold water and slowly heat it until it boils, he'll remain until he cooks himself to death.

Declaring martial law would be like dropping the country in boiling water. There is no way that it would succeed. However since at least 9/11 and perhaps before, the temperature has slowly been rising under the guise of protecting the children. Or fighting the terrorists. Or Iranians. Or whatever the boogyman of the day is.

FFH
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5

said by cdru:

said by Gami00:

Wouldn't it be easier if your Government/Prez just declared Martial Law...

As the saying goes, if you put a frog in a boiling pot of water, he'll immediately try to jump out. But if you put him in cold water and slowly heat it until it boils, he'll remain until he cooks himself to death.

You should choose a different analogy. This one is false:
»www.snopes.com/critters/wild/frogboil.asp
--
I will be perfectly happy if the budget cuts specified in the Budget Control Act go into effect. 3 cheers for the sequester. Take the money from the drunken federal spenders.

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7

said by FFH:

I'm well aware of that. I can also cite counter examples that show the opposite. Your proof specifically mentions heating the water 2 degrees F per minute. Other examples where the frog did indeed die the water was heated an order of magnitude slower.

Regardless, I never said "As the scientific fact", I said "As the saying goes". "An apple a day keeps the doctor away", "the pen is mightier than the sword", and "a watched pot never boils" all are scientifically false proverbial sayings, yet they illustrate an underlying general truth or lesson.

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK

1 recommendation

reply to cdru

Click for full size
Reminds of this, but apparently, it will be even worse. :/

Iceman0803

join:2012-05-18
Glendale, AZ
reply to FFH

said by FFH See Profile

I think you missed the point. Here is a line taken from your link:

...the "boiled frog" anecdote serves its purpose whether or not it's based upon something that is literally true.