dslreports logo
site
 
    All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer




how-to block ads


Search Topic:
uniqs
2939
share rss forum feed


Bruschi
Premium
join:2001-04-16
Cape Cod
kudos:1
reply to chip89

Re: Microwave

Wow!!! That picture is going in the how not to DIY picture folder. Absolutely ridiculous:(
--
Professional student pilot!


AnonEEMouse

join:2013-02-27
reply to chip89

How can you even see behind to the back burners to cook anything properly?

This is one of the times when you should step back and realize that it's just not going to work the way you had hoped...



alphapointe
Don't Touch Me
Premium,MVM
join:2002-02-10
Columbia, MO
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Socket Internet ..

2 recommendations

reply to chip89

Note to self: Put Independence, OH's fire/EMS scanner feed in my favorites on Radioreference... there's gonna be some residential structure fire traffic pretty soon...

Seriously, whiskey tango foxtrot?
--
"When the hammer drops, the bullshit stops"



JustBurnt

@rr.com
reply to TheMG

said by TheMG:

think what would happen if someone left a burner on high without a pot on it? The underside of the microwave would get mighty hot!

Maybe that is why the microwave in non-functional now?

garys_2k
Premium
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI
Reviews:
·Callcentric
·callwithus
reply to alphapointe

A microwave that's meant to be mounted over a cooktop, like the OP's, contains and exhaust fan and heat shield to protect the guts. If the installation manual says it can be installed at that height then I'd say it won't be damaged by installing it at that height. Access/use of the back burners still could be a problem and I would be interested in seeing what codes are being alluded too.

The light switch, on the other hand, is a recipe for burning a hand. I could see bumping into a hot pot while reaching for the switch.



Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT
kudos:1

said by garys_2k:

A microwave that's meant to be mounted over a cooktop, like the OP's, contains and exhaust fan and heat shield to protect the guts. If the installation manual says it can be installed at that height then I'd say it won't be damaged by installing it at that height. Access/use of the back burners still could be a problem and I would be interested in seeing what codes are being alluded too.

The light switch, on the other hand, is a recipe for burning a hand. I could see bumping into a hot pot while reaching for the switch.

I understand that part but most homes that I've seen a OTC Microwave they have a bit more space between the stove top and underside of the microwave.
--
It's NOT Ni-kon It's NE-KON!




LG is NOT Lifes Good It's Lucky Goldstar!



Ken
Premium,MVM
join:2003-06-16
Markle, IN

1 edit
reply to chip89

According to my code check book...

Microwave over range must be listed for install over range
24" minimum clearance range to microwave
Lesser clearances allowed for listed appliances per terms of listing

I should add however that even if that installation is code compliant I still don't like it. It just plain looks wrong, and the functionality of the back burners is reduced.


garys_2k
Premium
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI

Thanks, Ken. I agree about the lack of utility and ease of use, it could make cooking there a real headache.



chip89
Premium
join:2012-07-05
Independence, OH
reply to alphapointe

That's not going to happen any time soon.



chip89
Premium
join:2012-07-05
Independence, OH
reply to Subaru

That's for the light by the oven.



chip89
Premium
join:2012-07-05
Independence, OH
reply to AnonEEMouse

Yes you can see the ones in the back.


iLearn

join:2013-01-16
canada
reply to chip89

I did not read all the comments on this picture except for the 1st few but I do have to agree with the few who said the stove does not have enough clearance. It will probably come up in the home inspection when you are selling your house. Yes, I know home inspection is not a code inspection but what they do is tell you that it is or it is not safe on site - during an inspection and will research and include their final findings in the report (good home inspectors operate this way)

Also, that light switch seem too close to the stove especially if it is a gas stove. Was this place renovated?

All of this is just my opinion.

Thanks



chamberc
Premium
join:2008-08-05
Irving, TX
reply to mityfowl

said by mityfowl:

That's not safe and you certainly couldn't sell a house like that.

You absolutely can sell a house that way. There are no pre-conditions that must be met. A buyer has a choice, and can purchase a house in ANY condition.


35245635

join:2013-03-04
North Reading, MA
reply to chip89

You have to do what you have to do. It makes no difference if some people on this forum don't like it or not. All that matters is you like it. There's far worse stuff to worry about in life.
--
"Everyone has his day and some days last longer than others." - Winston Churchill



cableties
Premium
join:2005-01-27
reply to chip89

I've a Sharp and the instructions indicate how high the top has to be from the cooking surface (typically 24"-33"). And over the range microwave ovens have an additional bottom panel (metal) that is a heat shield.

I raised my higher than in photo so that food is at eye level in oven. I swapped the cabinet for the lower height one that was above fridge. Worked out great, except for the G/F that is all of 5'2"...
--
Splat



ropeguru
Premium
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA
reply to patcat88

said by patcat88:

Doesn't code also require a vent hood to exhaust oil vapor/cooking combustion products?

For residential, no.

iLearn

join:2013-01-16
canada

quote:
For residential, no.
Correct but its highly recommended to have the range hood vent to the outside it is a gas stove. Electric stove - a re-circulating range hood is fine but it is useless.

garys_2k
Premium
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI
Reviews:
·Callcentric
·callwithus

said by iLearn:

quote:
For residential, no.
Correct but its highly recommended to have the range hood vent to the outside it is a gas stove. Electric stove - a re-circulating range hood is fine but it is useless.

Some have a carbon filter, not QUITE useless, it can remove some of the smell.

iLearn

join:2013-01-16
canada

Sure.



Fallen_Anjel

join:2011-04-07
Rocky Point, NY
reply to chip89

It's probably the fuse. There's a 15 amp or 20 amp ceramic buss fuse somewhere in it. Open the door and there should be a sticker w/ all the info on it, including the model number. Google the name, model number and the word "manual". You should find a free one (many may try to charge you). You may also find it free on the manufacturer's website.



OOOPS! DIDN'T READ THE WHOLE POST! LOL