I Am The Man Who Was Not There.
MVM
join:2001-04-03
Reston, VA

jvmorris to mromero

MVM

to mromero

Re: [Misc] Dongles and alla that

Incidentally, THE KID managed to identify two other products. All have the dongle thingy, all cost about $300, and all are primarily reliant in their original implementation on iPads, iPods, iPhones.

Interestingly, the software that all of them require looks amazingly similar from one product to another. And it all looks very much like the software used by Helicon Remote for wired connection.

Helicon Remote is of interest to me because I already use Helicon Filter and am thinking of getting Helicon Focus. Now, if I could just talk Helicon Software into adding Wi-Fi, BlueTooth functionality to the existing USB I/O!

mromero
Premium Member
join:2000-12-07
Fullerton, CA

mromero

Premium Member

»fstoppers.com/fstoppers- ··· ppers%29

jvmorris
I Am The Man Who Was Not There.
MVM
join:2001-04-03
Reston, VA

jvmorris

MVM

Yes, as far as still photos are concerned, this is exactly why I would find a wireless solution appealing. Indeed, that's what I've been playing with using Helicon Remote in a wired configuration.

And I wasn't kidding there's a similarity in all the different software apps that I've looked and . . . and now I think I know why.

In the very first comment on the article, RA states

Actually it's quite pricey because the hardware is a cheap $30 TP-Link router TL-MR11U, with a free custom OpenWrt firmware »wiki.openwrt.org/toh/tp... and opensource gphoto library for camera connection, so all what's left is a simple webpage hosted on the router for user interface. So If you have some development skills you can make one for yourself for a fraction of the price. In fact this is a good idea for an opensource project

Cheap router and the majority of the software functionality may well be based on open-source solutions. So, like R A says, it really may be nothing more than the user interface that largely differentiates the solutions from different vendors.

I think I'll just be patient until the competition starts putting out some $100 to $150 alternatives.
jvmorris

jvmorris to mromero

MVM

to mromero
Okay, finally got the OTG cable for the Samsung Galaxy SIII. Helicon Remote works nicely from the GS III to the Nikon D7000.

And I'm already pestering them about wireless (Wi-Fi or BlueTooth) support.