MacBridger
Late to the party
Premium
join:2001-01-11
Morgantown, WV
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL

Rebuilding a cruncher - I hate Windows

I got a new motherboard today for an HP I had sitting around. I get everything installed, hooked up, but as expected Windows 7 won't boot. After trying to get it to recognize the new motherboard for an hour I decide to reinstall windows 7. Only the DVD is trashed and won't read. Ack!

I'm looking at buying a Windows 7 Home Premium, but all I need is a disc. Thought I would ask here first if someone has a disc that I could beg, borrow or steal for. I have a legit COA, but without the disc I'm hosed. Let me know if you can help or give me a suggestion other than spending $100 for a disc.
--
The Goober (Formerly Mac Bridger)
Fight Cancer! Join DSLR's Team Discovery

plencnerb
Premium
join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL
kudos:3

3 recommendations

While I do have the ISO's for all the Windows 7 versions (one DVD has the 32 bit versions, and one DVD has the 64 bit versions), and I would be willing to work with you to get you the media.

However, if you want to download the iso yourself, you should be able to get it from here

»www.mydigitallife.info/official-···l-river/

--Brian
--
============================
--Brian Plencner

E-Mail: CoasterBrian72Cancer@gmail.com
Note: Kill Cancer to Reply via e-mail

MacBridger
Late to the party
Premium
Morgantown, WV
Thanks plencnerb See Profile!! Downloading it now. I didn't realize they were available for open download.

plencnerb
Premium
Carpentersville, IL
No problem!

Nanoprobe
Looking for cures in memory of Mom
Premium
join:2003-05-11
Crab Nebula
kudos:2
Reviews:
·magicjack.com
2 recommendations

reply to MacBridger
If you ever need to buy a copy here is a site for OEM versions with very good prices.
»www.softwaresupplygroup.com/micr···ded.html

MacBridger
Late to the party
Premium
Morgantown, WV
Thanks for the site. Beats the best price I found by a good $10.

MacBridger
Late to the party
Premium
Morgantown, WV
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to plencnerb
It's up and running! Well, mostly. I'll have to finish up the install tomorrow night, but Windows is loaded. Thanks again for the help guys.
--

plencnerb
Premium
Carpentersville, IL
No problem. Always glad to help out!

--Brian

Slava
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-04
Fair Lawn, NJ
reply to MacBridger
What I love about 7 windows re-installs as apposed to XP.
Is that normally it has all the drivers done for you once the install is complete.
I remember what a pain it was always having to find all the drivers for the XP installs.

Glad it worked out for you.

Regards/ Slava

Nanoprobe
Premium
Crab Nebula
Having a current back up image is a quick and easy way to avoid the hassle of a reinstall. Macrium Reflect works well on XP.

MacBridger
Late to the party
Premium
Morgantown, WV
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL

1 recommendation

The reinstall wasn't too bad really. It's the first time I've ever had to do a Win 7 reinstall and it went really smooth. I had maybe 3 or 4 drivers to install once it was done and really didn't have to touch anything. I spent longer trying to recover the old OS than doing the reinstall. I've got it hooked up to the bedroom TV, crunching away.
--

Nanoprobe
Premium
Crab Nebula
An FYI. Win7 has a a built in image program that I use all the time. You can back up to internal or external drive or to CDs'/DVDs.

michieru
Premium
join:2009-07-25
Miami, FL
reply to MacBridger
Did you sysprep before you transferred?

C:\Windows\System32\Sysprep\sysprep.exe

Select the generalize box and it will setup generic drivers that will boot up on most systems and reconfigure it all at next boot.

MacBridger
Late to the party
Premium
Morgantown, WV
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
I wasn't able to do anything pre-install as the computer had one of the notorious Pegatron boards in it. Southbridge chip went nuclear and half the functions, including SATA, were gone.
--

michieru
Premium
join:2009-07-25
Miami, FL
Makes more sense now.

Is this a dedicated cruncher or just your home computer running boinc?

MacBridger
Late to the party
Premium
Morgantown, WV
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL

1 recommendation

It's the wife's homework computer. So it's a dedicated cruncher 95% of the time. She does most of her work on her laptop after the kids go to bed. But when they're home and awake she locks herself in the bedroom and uses that one.

I have a downed P4 getting a facelift soon thanks to ayoustic See Profile. I'm not quite sure how I'm going to work that in to my space limits, but I'm excited to see what kind of results I'll get from my GeForce GT430 once it's in a system that's not 10 years old.
--