Also, what's a DNS?

MediacomChad
Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
Premium Member
join:2010-01-20
Gulf Breeze, FL

MediacomChad

Premium Member

We are getting reports that services are back up. Let me know if you have any other issues.
marypeterson
join:2013-02-27

marypeterson

Okay, thanks, I'll go check :-3 I'll be sure to let you now :-3

SHoTTa35
@optonline.net

SHoTTa35 to marypeterson

Anon

to marypeterson
It depends on if you are using a router or connected directly via cable directly to the modem. I'm guessing router since you mentioned your PS3 also being connected.

DNS is like the yellowpages of the internet. When you ask for yahoo.com your computer sends a message to the DNS and gets it's "IP" address - 98.138.253.109. Your computer uses that information to connect you to the website. When the DNS is out and you type Google.com it gets no answer and therefore you get no results.

Changing your DNS involves just typing in some new address into your router or PC settings. You can use 4.2.2.1 or 8.8.8.8 or others. It matters if you are using Windows 7 or XP as they vary in the steps needed.

Easiest for now on Windows 7 would be something like this:

Click Start
Type CMD and press enter
Type this:

netsh interface ip set dns "Local Area Connection" static 4.2.2.1

Then press enter. If it fails it's probably because the name of your connection has changed from Local Area Connection to something else.

After you've done that you should be able to get online as you've changed your DNS.

MediacomChad
Premium Member
Gulf Breeze, FL

MediacomChad to marypeterson

Premium Member

to marypeterson
You are welcome!

ltsnow
Premium Member
join:2006-04-08
Valdosta, GA

ltsnow to MediacomChad

Premium Member

to MediacomChad
said by MediacomChad:

We are getting reports that services are back up. Let me know if you have any other issues.

Haven't been able to get my email for about 2 hours now. Is this related to the DNS issues?
marypeterson
join:2013-02-27

marypeterson to SHoTTa35

to SHoTTa35
Ah, okay-though I'm on Opera, the web browser, would work the same?

MediacomChad
Premium Member
Gulf Breeze, FL

MediacomChad

Premium Member

ltsnow, we were having issues with third party email clients connecting to our email servers. That should be resolved now. Please let me know if you need any further assistance, you can also just private message me on here.

tome50511, if you are having ongoing issues I would be happy to look into them for you. Feel free to private message me your account or phone number and we can get started troubleshooting.

marypeterson, I think you're asking if you change your DNS if it would apply to Opera as well. If not, please feel free to re ask your question. But, yes it would. The DNS servers are set on your PCs operating system so every internet program on your computer will use what you set.
kfunkjr
join:2009-12-18
Hiawatha, IA

kfunkjr

For some of us, last nights issues are not fixed. Believe it or not I have an in internet connection on my laptop when it is plugged straight into the Cisco DPCl3825. However anything plugged into the router that was plugged into the Cisco now has no connection. So, I unplug a desktop from the router and plug it into the Cisco. No connection. So I repeat with yet another desktop, no connection. Yet the laptop still is connected.

I tried to get to the Cisco configuration. All docs say it should be 192.168.0.1. It isn't. It is 192.168.100.1 and when I get there I get no configuration option. I login and only one page displays showing signal/noise and other bits about the actual connection. No place to turn wireless back on, which I turned off months ago sin ce I had a router handling the wireless.

I have no tried two different Netgear routers, and I can see all of my computers, there just is no internet and no amount of restarting computer/router/cable modem is changing that.

I am really not happy with tech support. The lady I talked to was clueless and so she put in a ticket for Sunday. 5 bloody days with no internet is going to make me really cranky. Yes, cranky enough that DSL is really beginning to look good.

Anyone want to take a crack at suggesting something that might save a service tech a little verbal pain when he or she finally shows up?

MediacomChad
Premium Member
Gulf Breeze, FL

MediacomChad

Premium Member

kfunkjr,

I want to clarify a few things so I can understand what is going on here. You have the DPC3825 from us, what is plugged into the back of that modem/router combo? Do you have more than one device? Are you subscribed to the home networking service? If you are not subscribed to the home networking service only one of the those ports on the back of that device will work. If you are on the home networking service then all the ports should work. Also, you will have problems reaching the default interface of the dpc3825 if you do not have home networking. I have a few ideas of why I think this is not working but to be sure I would need to check into your modem. Please send me your telephone# or MAC address via PM and I will look into this for you.
kfunkjr
Hiawatha, IA

kfunkjr

Yes, the DPC3825 is from you. Right now I have one computer plugged into the back of the DPC3825 and it is online. Until last night I had a Netgear router plugged in because I had previously turned off the DPC3825 wireless settings. My three computers and two tablets happily accessed the internet.

Now that no longer happens. I have tried two Netgear routers. Neither can get a connection to the Cisco device.

As for Home networking, that I not something I directly asked for or was every offered as an option by your local office, so to the best of my knowledge, no. Which MAC address would you like, I assume the DPC3825?

MediacomChad
Premium Member
Gulf Breeze, FL

MediacomChad

Premium Member

kfunkjr,

That would make sense. What I am guessing happened is your modem/router combo was authorized for home networking but since it is not on your account it should have deactivated. Unfortunately that did not happen, so you had access to all 4 ports on the back of the router and the wireless. When your modem went offline and came back up it rescanned what your account is authorized for, realized that authorization is not set for wireless and thus disabled the wireless feature. This would mean that only one port on the back of your router is active and the wireless should also be disabled. Since your laptop plugged in is working, there is nothing outage related happening here. Since you have your own netgear router, that easiest thing to do would be unplug the laptop, power cycle the DPC3825, and the plug the netgear router into the DPC3825. Once this is done you can plug your laptop into the netgear router and all should work. Please let me know if this works/doesn't work. I don't see anything else wrong with the MAC you sent me.

If you would like the old functionality back (with the Mediacom Home Networking Service) we can add that back onto your account for 3.95/month.

Keep me posted on what happens and if I can be of any more help!
kfunkjr
Hiawatha, IA

kfunkjr

I have already tried that. When the Netgear router is plugged into the modem/router, it does not get a connection. The internet light remains solid amber which means no connection. Is adding home networking going to fix this?

SHoTTa35
@munival.com

SHoTTa35

Anon

Not sure if this applies to that device but in general you have to reboot the device (modem) whenever you connect a new device as the Modem locks itself to the first device that connects.

Now with your device being a routing gateway i'm not sure if it's in a bridged mode where the routing functions are turned off (i'm guessing since you don't pay for the Home Networking feature that they offer).

MediacomChad
Premium Member
Gulf Breeze, FL

MediacomChad to kfunkjr

Premium Member

to kfunkjr
No, that shouldn't have any effect. Let me try one thing. Can you go ahead and plug the router alone into the DPC3825. When that is done I am going to rewalk everything through our provisioning system and reset the device.
kfunkjr
Hiawatha, IA

kfunkjr

I am currently 60 miles from home. I will be home in about 2.5 hours and I will definitely try that and get back to you

MediacomChad
Premium Member
Gulf Breeze, FL

MediacomChad

Premium Member

Sounds good, thank you.