Be the flame, not the moth.
Premium,MVM
join:2003-07-15
Gallifrey

[Help] 2001 Mercury Sable

2001 Mercury Sable LS Premium

Hey guys,

I have two questions actually:

1) What do I need to look at to figure out why my drivers door lock refuses to work completely with the buttons but works fine with key or fingers? I can see it trying to work but only goes halfway. This happened last year and some WD-40 in the side latch opening fixed it but not this time. The alarm WILL still set, it wouldn't last year.

2) I think I have a blown fuse as the traction wheel icon no longer works and two other things I can't think of right now are also not working but I can't find a list of what fuse controls what anywhere online.

Thanks
--
"While you can teach an old dog new tricks, you simply can't teach him to be a cat."

"Are you my Mummy?"

PrntRhd
Premium
join:2004-11-03
Fairfield, CA
FYI Ford uses a body computer to control many functions, and it can cause strange issues when bad.
Stepdaughter's 2002 Taurus had a left headlight that did not want to work any more...yep, that computer was the issue.

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium,VIP
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30
kudos:18
reply to Sweet Witch

Sweet Witch
Premium,MVM
Gallifrey
Tried those links yesterday and the page tells me I don't have permission to go there.

Sweet Witch
Premium,MVM
Gallifrey
reply to PrntRhd
Oh joy.

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium,VIP
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30
kudos:18
reply to Sweet Witch
Here is the Owner's Manual at the 2nd link.

download01sabog3e.pdf 2331702 bytes
PDF Owner's Manual

gattaca
Premium
join:2003-05-28
USA
reply to Sweet Witch
I had a 2001 Mercury Sable, and it did the same thing. Around the same time, my brother owned a 2002 Ford Taurus (basically the same car) and he also had the same problem.

Sometimes the doors would lock, sometimes they would struggle and stay unlocked. I did my best to clean up the door latch, which helped for a while, but ultimately gave up. I just assumed the door lock motors got tired and weak in their old age.

Sweet Witch
Premium,MVM
Gallifrey
Nice to know it's just the car and not MY car

aurgathor

join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA
kudos:1
reply to Sweet Witch
Need to clean off the old grease and lubricate with fresh grease.