Search similar:

uniqs

En Enfer
This account has been compromised
join:2003-07-25
Montreal, QC

En Enfer

[EN+FR] Free Wifi McDonald's

Last week, I was nearby a Second Cup restaurant and I had to make a phone call home using my iPhone 3 without a SIM card, so I connected to their free Wi-Fi network, a pop-up welcome page appeared, I closed it, open Zoiper app, which is already configured for voip.ms, and called the extention number. Easy.

Earlier this afternoon, I went to a shopping mall, so I was waiting at McDonald's for a free coffee, connected to their Bell@Mcdonalds free wifi network, no pop-up appeared. Open Zoiper, cannot authenticate, but I had to leave anyway. At home, open Zoiper, works fine.

Tonight, I decided to test it again at my nearby McDo, connect to Wiki, fired up Zoiper, nope. Turn on Safari, Google was slow to open, search "test"... McDo's (powered by Bhell) message appeared: "Unfortunately a problem has been encountered and we cannot handle your request at this time..."

So,
1) what am I doing wrong? and
2) is McDo blocking VoIP ports ? If so, any way around ?

Réponses dans les deux langues acceptées.
En Enfer

En Enfer

Just like a billing problem at Bhell, I had to be PATIENT... so I tried again this afternoon. Went to Settings, emptied Safari's cache, connected to McDo's Wifi, tried to open two pages... after two minutes, I was finally forwarded to a "Do you accept the terms" page, and was FINALLY able to open pages and use VoIP software without restrictions.

For a waste of time, trust Bhell.

eeeaddict
join:2010-02-14

eeeaddict

or you know save the time/hassle and get a real sim card instead of hoping for anything besides port 80 to be open

vitesse
join:2002-12-17
Saint-Philippe, QC

vitesse to En Enfer

to En Enfer
I had the exact same problem at MCO airport in florida. The wifi was taking a huge amount of time to connect you to the network.

EEEaddict: why do you think they offer wifi? to make you buy a sim card? the point is not the fact that every port was closed, but it take a really long time to be able to connect to the network.

BTW we don't have this problem at our mcdo. I'm able to use voip.ms on port 5060 and speed test give me 4.2mbps/620kbps witch is the maximum Bell can do in my city.

YumMcDo
@videotron.ca

YumMcDo to eeeaddict

Anon

to eeeaddict
Bell just provides the DSL connections no? And McDo has their software that proxies the traffic through some US server once you go through their start page with their terms of service? (I briefly checked at the time but i was busy stuffing my face with Fries!)

En Enfer
This account has been compromised
join:2003-07-25
Montreal, QC

En Enfer to eeeaddict

to eeeaddict
said by eeeaddict:

or you know save the time/hassle and get a real sim card instead of hoping for anything besides port 80 to be open

VoIP ports were open, it worked perfectly, BUT after the non-obvious hassle to get a page to finally appear on your browser, check the box for accepting terms of service (it's a copy & paste of Bell's lawyer language in 25-30 paragraphes that sells a service, text not adapted for McDo's temporary usage), and click a button. Really, if I was to read the terms before processing, I would have finished eating 5 sandwiches and drink 3 free coffees. "Gimme a break" in the whole sense of the term.

I have two SIM cards in the drawer, they're both disabled.
No kidding, a monthly subcription or à la carte would be a hassle and a huge waste of money for me, I don't use my iPhone that often, I never text, work doesn't require me to have a cell phone, so why bother.

Any cellphone without a SIM Card can still dial 911, so it's a plus when on the move.
kovy7
join:2009-03-26

kovy7 to En Enfer

to En Enfer
Bell only provides the DSL connection. Heck for all you know that store could be running on dial up or even 3G. And then it's not even Bell that manages the wireless, it's datavalet.

andyb
Premium Member
join:2003-05-29
SW Ontario

andyb to En Enfer

Premium Member

to En Enfer
Unfortunately its not bell to blame.McD's has thier own servers you must connect to first and they are slooooow