uniqs
share rss forum feed

dispatcher21
911 Where is your emergency?

join:2004-01-22
united state
kudos:1

Need input on file sharing device

I have a client that is currently on a workgroup with 12 desktops with an old XP box acting as a file server. They also have a few laptops certain employees use to RDP into a couple of computers so that they can use QuickBooks and such from home. They now want the ability to have more employees remote in, not to control computers but to just grab files to work on. I talked to them about Windows Server 2012 Essentials since it also does client backup and they were very recpetive to it. I have been messing with Essentials at home (Technet sub), and think it may be too much for them (plus it kind of sucks). I am now looking at a Synology DS213+. It is a file server, takes cilent backups and has two HD bays for RAID redundancy. It also allows for remote connections to grab files as they want. Any advice, thoughts or opinions would be greatly appreciated. I have never used a Synology device but it looks pretty impressive.
»www.synology.com/products/produc···&lang=us
--
»www.teknonerd.com

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS
kudos:5
This is a really good question. It would seem to me that a Raid box with file access is a good fit for people just wanting to grab files. I am interested in what experts chime in with.

aguen
Premium
join:2003-07-16
Grants Pass, OR
kudos:2
reply to dispatcher21
If your budget can afford it, I'd suggest going with the 413 model, simply because you can have more space AND better raid options than just raid 0 or 1. Also, just for the record, make sure to put the device on the internal LAN and not USB to one or more workstations.

Bink
Villains... knock off all that evil

join:2006-05-14
Castle Rock, CO
kudos:4
reply to dispatcher21
Have you considered the latest trend of storing all your files in the “cloud?”

dispatcher21

united state
They have considered the all cloud option and they arent comfortable with that. If internet goes out, there goes your files and your work day is shot. And they want to keep local ownership of the work files. I think the Synology DS413 will fit the bill.
--
»www.teknonerd.com

LowInfoVoter
Vote early, vote often, vote democrat.

join:2007-11-19
USA
go with synology. i have a ds209 for home use and i love it. plus, they have a cloud service package so that you can "be your own cloud".

»www.synology.com/support/video_y···?lang=us

if you already have a win domain, im pretty sure it works in that environment.

LowInfoVoter
Vote early, vote often, vote democrat.

join:2007-11-19
USA
reply to dispatcher21
go with synology. i have a ds209 for home use and i love it. plus, they have a cloud service package so that you can "be your own cloud".

»www.synology.com/support/video_y···?lang=us

if you already have a win domain, im pretty sure it works in that environment.

tomdlgns
Premium
join:2003-03-21
Chicago, IL
reply to dispatcher21
i vote for a synology box, but figure out how many users they will have on the LAN and grabbing files from home.

raid 1 is nice, but not sure how the performance will be if everyone is constantly connected grabbing files.

the synology also has VPN capabilities, you have to add the package and set it up, but that is probably easy enough to do (i have read about the package, but i dont use it [i have a ds2411+ at home]).

also, make sure to backup the synology unit.

carbonite can backup 250GB (NAS drives, standard pricing) of data for $130 per year (i think that is right and you can pay for more storage). raid is good for data redundancy, but not for the only source of backups.

for an office, i would purchase something with 4 bays and set it up with a raid 6 or SHR (i forget what the options were when i was configuring my raid array)

»forum.synology.com/wiki/index.ph···_RAID%3F

also, lets say you purchase a 4 bay unit with (4) 1TB drives I would purchase 5 drives and keep one sealed on the shelf just in case. yes, the hot spare drive will do the job, but you will want to replace the corrupt drive ASAP and the last thing you want to do is wait for the delivery truck, assuming the drive you want is in stock.

i recommend using western digital red drives, they are compatible with synology and are built for NAS units.

Badger3k
We Don't Need No Stinkin Badgers
Premium
join:2001-09-27
Franklin, OH
reply to dispatcher21
Synology makes good stuff, another vote for it.

dispatcher21

united state
reply to dispatcher21
Thanks for the replies guys. I will be going with the DS413, it has a dual core CPU and 1gig of RAM. They only have 75gigs of data at this time so I will start with two 2TB drives in their SHR raid.
--
»www.teknonerd.com