koreyb
Open the Canadian Market NOW
join:2005-01-08
Etobicoke, ON

koreyb to d_source

to d_source

Re: Major CRTC decision next week. - CBB

said by d_source:

With the current Guv of ON dumping/selling resources to create quick cash to pay off provincial debt, it's highly doubtful they would buy anything, especially something that will require a lot of money for constant upgrades.

The idea is DARK FIBRE, (AKA, just the wire) which each provider would pay to use, which in concept would cover the operation of the fibre wire network, and that alone.. It would be up to each provider to pay their own way with equipment to make it work on each end past the demarc point. If it's done on the local level, not federal or prov level, as water and sewers are, there is less likely an issue getting things messed up. IF all wholesale joined together to invent a non-profit end user fibre network, they could do the same, but to me we ask our cities and towns to supply water, hydro, sewers and roads, so there is no reason they couldn't provide DARK FIBRE to every lot.

tom_tom
join:2009-01-17
toronto

tom_tom

said by koreyb:

The idea is DARK FIBRE, (AKA, just the wire) which each provider would pay to use, which in concept would cover the operation of the fibre wire network, and that alone..

But I think the main cost is to connect all those pieces of dark fiber into a working network with Internet access.
I can provide a dark fiber from my room, out my house, to the street in front of me. But where do I plug it in? Where do we draw a line between what is provided by the city, and what is taken care of by the ISPs? Are all houses on a street connected to a working network by the city, and ISPs take it from there? Or streets are also connected already? What about town and cities? What is built by governments and what by private companies in your proposition?
I don't understand how would that work.

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by tom_tom:

said by koreyb:

The idea is DARK FIBRE, (AKA, just the wire) which each provider would pay to use, which in concept would cover the operation of the fibre wire network, and that alone..

But I think the main cost is to connect all those pieces of dark fiber into a working network with Internet access.
I can provide a dark fiber from my room, out my house, to the street in front of me.

But where do I plug it in? Where do we draw a line between what is provided by the city, and what is taken care of by the ISPs? Are all houses on a street connected to a working network by the city, and ISPs take it from there? Or streets are also connected already? What about town and cities? What is built by governments and what by private companies in your proposition?
I don't understand how would that work.

I don't know about the cost numbers, but regarding the permission to run fibre/wires, it would likely be more expedient if the communities and/or their public utility companies were to take an interest in having a piece of the action, as they most likely own/control any right-of-way which would be needed to get a 3rd network up and running for local distribution, whether it be a fully wired version, or a hybrid of wired and wireless.

Therefive, it would make sense for any party who wished to establish a 3rd way into our premises to approach each community about partnering with them, in order to 'Git-er-Dun', yes ?