To the west

Caddyroger to TherapyChick

Premium Member

to TherapyChick

Re: Need a cheap device for Internet use only

said by TherapyChick:

said by Wily_One:

You don't have a smartphone?

Are you suggesting he uses a smartphone to watch Hulu and other online programming? It'd work, yes, but unless you want to be really hunched over your phone I wouldn't watch a whole show on one. I have a Galaxy SIII which is I believe one of the largest smartphone screens available and I still wouldn't do it. If OP has an iPhone that'd be even worse (small screen).

I have one but I wasted my money on it. At least it was only $125.00. There is no way in hell I'll even try to check email or watch tv on a 13/4 by 31/4 in screen.

La Luna
Fly With The Angels My Beloved Son Chris
Premium Member
join:2001-07-12
New Port Richey, FL

La Luna

Premium Member

Really? I do email and have actually watched movies on my phone. It's not the best obviously, but it's watchable and it works in a pinch.

Draiman
Let me see those devil horns in the sky
join:2012-06-01
Kill Devil Hills, NC

Draiman

said by La Luna:

Really? I do email and have actually watched movies on my phone. It's not the best obviously, but it's watchable and it works in a pinch.

11 days is more then 'a pinch'. I think that's his point. Checking email once or catching the football game for a few minutes to see the score is one thing but possibly a few hours per day for 11 days is another story. I own a GalaxyIII but you wouldn't catch me using it over a laptop either in that situaiton.

Wily_One
Premium Member
join:2002-11-24
San Jose, CA

Wily_One

Premium Member

So he's staying in a hotel that has no TV? Hope he got a good rate...

Draiman
Kill Devil Hills, NC

Draiman

said by Wily_One:

I only use hotel TV for sports. Typically it's too much hassle to deal with the crappy remote, time difference, and unfamiliar channels to find anything worth watching. Logging into Netflix is far easier.

MineCoast
Premium Member
join:2004-10-06
Pensacola, FL

MineCoast

Premium Member

said by Draiman:

said by Wily_One:

I only use hotel TV for sports. Typically it's too much hassle to deal with the crappy remote, time difference, and unfamiliar channels to find anything worth watching. Logging into Netflix is far easier.

You must have stayed in some 5 start $200+ a night hotels. Each and every single hotel I stayed, regardless of what device I was using or what state/city I was in, had either very low bandwidth (under 1 Megabit Download) and/or high packet loss/latency and/or poor signal. I have never once been able to stream anything in any hotel I've ever been at, I ended up using my smart phone on 3G/4G instead due to the speeds being much faster.

Draiman
Kill Devil Hills, NC

1 edit

Draiman

said by MineCoast:

said by Draiman:

said by Wily_One:

You must have stayed in some 5 start $200+ a night hotels. Each and every single hotel I stayed, regardless of what device I was using or what state/city I was in, had either very low bandwidth (under 1 Megabit Download) and/or high packet loss/latency and/or poor signal. I have never once been able to stream anything in any hotel I've ever been at, I ended up using my smart phone on 3G/4G instead due to the speeds being much faster.

I've been in every type of hotel/motel on the planet. I use to travel for business and I'm still platinum with Hilton & Marriott. I've stayed in Europe and the US. I've never had a problem with them. Any run of the mill $80-130 a night place has decent internet that I've been at from Vegas to San Diego to Tampa to Boston.

Matter fact the wife and I went to Jamaica on vacation and I vpn'ed into the US so I could stream Netflix's for some movies.