La Luna
Fly With The Angels My Beloved Son Chris
Premium Member
join:2001-07-12
New Port Richey, FL

La Luna

Premium Member

WinPatrol Plus monitor keeps shutting down

Out of the clear blue I'm having a problem with WinPatrol Plus. Everytime I get an alert that something has changed (added program, removed something, etc.), when I click on "yes" or "no" (or even X out the box), I get a message that the WinPatrol monitor has stopped working and it shuts down. I've tried re-installing twice with no change in this behavior.

Anyone have any ideas? I also tried installing it as admin. Using the latest version.

KoRnGtL15
Premium Member
join:2007-01-04
Grants Pass, OR

KoRnGtL15

Premium Member

I had this happen to me yesterday. I only installed windows updates and ie 10 on my windows 7 64 bit machine. Wish I wrote down the file. It happened to me like 2-3 times when saying yes.

La Luna
Premium Member
New Port Richey, FL

La Luna

Premium Member

Hmm, now that you mention it, I also installed Windows Upates, today in fact. Oh goody.....
HarryH3
Premium Member
join:2005-02-21

HarryH3 to La Luna

Premium Member

to La Luna
Installed IE10 and WinPatrol crashed.

La Luna
Premium Member
New Port Richey, FL

La Luna

Premium Member

Oh boy.....

I didn't install IE10, so I guess that's not my problem. This irks me, I feel naked without my WinPatrol.

Dustyn
Premium Member
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
·Carry Telecom
·TekSavvy Cable
Asus GT-AX11000
Technicolor TC4400

Dustyn to La Luna

Premium Member

to La Luna
I'll be monitoring this as I too have WinPatrol Plus. Installed the Platform Update for Windows 7 64-bit SP1 and then IE10. WinPatrol jumped into action as it should when I reset all IE settings back to factory defaults. I clicked YES to acknowledge the changes and everything was fine. I also updated another program on my PC and WinPatrol alerted me to the change too, it continued to run normally as usual.

BillPStudios
Premium Member
join:2004-04-16
Scotia, NY

4 recommendations

BillPStudios to La Luna

Premium Member

to La Luna
I don't suppose you recently removed or updated Java?

I have been experiencing similar issues after doing an article on the dangers of Java and/or Flash. I'd like to think it's not punishment but I there is definitely something that has changed on more than just your computer. I will find the answer as soon as I can.

Thanks,
Bill

La Luna
Premium Member
New Port Richey, FL

La Luna

Premium Member

Yes, I updated Java. Also, Adobe flash. I had to do updates today as I've been off line for a couple of weeks.

Hope that helps in your quest for an answer. Thanks for replying!

CCat
We're all quite mad here
MVM
join:2005-12-06
Wonderland

CCat to BillPStudios

MVM

to BillPStudios
I had the same thing happen today, Win7 Pro x64, except I don't have java (haven't had it for quite some time) and no recent flash updates.

Old Computer8
Premium Member
join:2002-04-12
France

Old Computer8 to BillPStudios

Premium Member

to BillPStudios
I have a similar problem but WinPatrol does not crash completely. I got the warning window asking to allow or deny an action , then before I can click it went white and got message "not responding"
(Windows 7 x64).
I do not have Java, just Flash but this issue is older than the latest update.

Edwin Lang
@sbcglobal.net

Edwin Lang

Anon

i just had issue with winpatrol shutting down after i installed latest java update. the popup come up asked me the yes or no i clicked yes, and winpatrol shut itself off. any idea why this is happening? for now i deleted all java 32 and 64 bit from my win 7 64 bit comp. funny thing is my desktop got the update, it has winpatrol too and it didnt crash winpatrol.

Old Computer8
Premium Member
join:2002-04-12
France

Old Computer8 to BillPStudios

Premium Member

to BillPStudios
On another PC using Windows 8 Pro edition, I experimented several WinPatrol crashes.
The only changes since yesterday is the Flash update.
The crash occurs when WinPatrol is asking to deny or allow.
Windows application log:

Nom de l’application défaillante WinPatrol.exe, version : 26.1.2013.0, horodatage : 0x50e747b9
Nom du module défaillant : WinPatrol.exe, version : 26.1.2013.0, horodatage : 0x50e747b9
Code d’exception : 0xc0000409
Décalage d’erreur : 0x00015b26
ID du processus défaillant : 0xb70
Heure de début de l’application défaillante : 0x01ce15be60f6ec01
Chemin d’accès de l’application défaillante : C:\Program Files (x86)\BillP Studios\WinPatrol\WinPatrol.exe
Chemin d’accès du module défaillant: C:\Program Files (x86)\BillP Studios\WinPatrol\WinPatrol.exe
ID de rapport : dc11d57a-81b1-11e2-be91-1c6f65f8c975

For all crashes errors the only difference is the time stamp.

If this can help...

winchester73
join:2003-08-08
Chapel Hill, NC

winchester73

»billpstudios.blogspot.co ··· ion.html

KoRnGtL15
Premium Member
join:2007-01-04
Grants Pass, OR

KoRnGtL15

Premium Member

In short. A new version should be up by tomorrow.

La Luna
Premium Member
New Port Richey, FL

1 edit

La Luna

Premium Member

That's good news.

I think Bill is right though, it has something to do with Windows updates. After experiencing the problems with WinPatrol, later last night I also experienced a bsod, and my sleep/hibernation on this laptop stopped working. It instead just froze the laptop. These things have never happened before, only since I did those updates yesterday. I ended up this morning doing a system restore back to before all the updates.

I don't know what's going on, but I certainly don't like not having the updates. And of course, I lost my Java update (which is disabled anyway) and the flash update. Also, Firefox 19, but I think I can safely redo that one.

I wonder if it has anything to do with that Platform update for 64bit systems (optional update)? The rest were just run of the mill security/net framework updates.

This is the update I'm talking about. Apparently it IS causing problems: »KB2670838 Win 7 platform update

BillPStudios
Premium Member
join:2004-04-16
Scotia, NY

2 recommendations

BillPStudios

Premium Member

Thanks to everyone for their support and for sharing the solution. There is no doubt the problem was due to the recent Windows Update. Not to say it was Microsoft's fault because as a programmer my code should be able to handle any error more gracefully.

I spent the last 24 hours replying to Emails so I could provide an immediate solution to everyone who wrote. Now that I'm caught up, I need to look more carefully at my code and figure out if there is something I can report back to Microsoft and also be confident the new version handles the issue correctly now and in the future. So, the new version will probably be this weekend.

Meanwhile the immediate solution can be found by going to the Options tab. Uncheck the box in front of “Share real-time cloud choices”. This feature is used to keep a tally of what users choose when asked if they want to keep or remove a program. The results provides useful information so I hope once the new version is available folks will re-check this option.

Here's an example...
If someone requests PLUS Info on "flashplayerupdateservice.exe" which is located as a scheduled task.
WinPatrol will provide information on the file and includes data collected from the real-time cloud choices.
228,664 Users chose to allow this file to run.
77,099 Users decided to prevent this file from running.

Thanks,
Bill
HarryH3
Premium Member
join:2005-02-21

HarryH3

Premium Member

Thanks for the update Bill!

To add one step to the above:

Meanwhile the immediate solution can be found by running WinPatrol Explorer and then going to the Options tab. Uncheck the box in front of Share real-time cloud choices.

I couldn't get to it by just running WinPatrol because the notification screen kept popping up before I could open anything else.

VerdeDude
Here Kitty Kitty
Premium Member
join:2003-05-01
Northern Az.

VerdeDude to La Luna

Premium Member

to La Luna
I had the same problem.

Tried a re-install over the top of WinPatrol, that didn't work.

Then did an uninstall using WinPatrol's uninstaller. Then a fresh re-install and its all good!

milty
@sbcglobal.net

milty to BillPStudios

Anon

to BillPStudios
Just wanted to let you guys know i use the free version. I haven't updated windows in a year and I recently started having the issue about a week ago. So I don't think its windows.

I also had to revert my PC today, and the image is over a year old. Installed the latest winpatrol, same issue. No updates to windows yet.

MarkAW
Barry White
Premium Member
join:2001-08-27
Canada

MarkAW

Premium Member

said by milty :

Just wanted to let you guys know i use the free version. I haven't updated windows in a year and I recently started having the issue about a week ago. So I don't think its windows.

I also had to revert my PC today, and the image is over a year old. Installed the latest winpatrol, same issue. No updates to windows yet.

Do you have the latest Flash or Java installed? I have the latest version of Flash installed on my systems and i just started having the same problem that others are having with WinPatrol (paid) on all of my systems both 32 bit and 64 bit Win7 and Vista.