Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Faster
Premium
join:2013-03-09
reply to drslash

Re: [Other] Danica Patrick

She failed to achieve any relevant or significant success driving cars that that were higher performing and that weighed half as much with twice the tire width then NASCAR cars. Plus there was no bumping and rubbing in open wheel cars.

The results so far are not unexpected. She will likely get better but her chances for a successful future is not good.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
reply to Blogger
Thru the years there have been a TON of mediocre drivers that ran for YEARS in NASCAR. They made a good living at it. They generally did nto get crapped on as much as you know who...

Of course - things might be different if the guys did not have thei r tongues hanging out and drooling.

She did well in the 500 this year - in her first full year of NASCAR she has had a better start than other drivers considered better now. And they had a LOT more experience in NASCAR in their first full year than you know who...
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

drslash
Goya Asma
Premium
join:2002-02-18
Marion, IA
The rub is that other more talented and more experienced drivers have inferior equipment and less overall team talent. Her teammate is a 3 time cup champion and Stewart earned one of those cups with Stewart-Haas racing.

I don't expect her to make the chase but anything less than top 25 in points will be a failure IMO.

I agree that she can run races and make a living doing it. She should not be getting coverage running 40th and she should not be interviewed after a DNF.
--
Save water...drink beer!
--
#occupytheworkplace
--
Obama...it's junior high school all over again!
--
Democrats don't mind raising taxes because democrats don't pay taxes.

fatness
subtle
Premium,ex-mod 01-13
join:2000-11-17
fishing
kudos:14
reply to Blogger
She gets NASCAR a lot of attention the organization would not otherwise be getting.

Funny how people who like NASCAR think that's bad.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County
reply to drslash
Hmmmm - just because they have decent equipment does NOT mean a driver will do well right away. Sorry but IRL/Indy are completely different animals - just ask Dinger, or Sam Hornish or any of the other IRL/Indy drivers that made the switch in the last 10 years. There is no automatic run in the top half when you have not been in a full year yet to learen the car, lingo, and pit crew/engineer.

Also - I find it funny that JJ, Dale Jr (or even Sr) and Tony (to name a few) get interviews no matter where they finish (usually at least ONE will be interviewed - ESPECIALLY if they DNF) and no one whines about it. Hmmmm - wonder why....
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

Faster
Premium
reply to fatness
said by fatness:

She gets NASCAR a lot of attention the organization would not otherwise be getting.

It's not like NASCAR needs it. Then again there is different types or levels of attention. I wonder if in the long run when all is done if NASCAR will consider her a positive or negative?

If she continues to crash, finish at the back of the pack, and to get lapped I wonder how behind closed doors NASCAR feels about the situation.

The one genuine plus she has is if she does very well in a race, even by chance wins one it will be treated like the greatest moment in NASCAR and US auto racing history, regardless of how many poor or prior bad performances she has turned in.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County
There is a reason the sophmore season of a NASCAR driver is is looked upon as a write-off - they crash a ton. Yet many of those who trashed a lot of cars in their second year (full year/season we are talking about) - did well eventually - Kasey Khane, JJ are just 2.

Along with this - not all of the wrecks are her fault yet most people who don't like her - assign all wrecks as her fault.

The fact is - no one, no one, not one person will know how good of a driver in NASCAR she is till 3-5 years from now. Anything less and she was not given the same standards as other current and past drivers in NASCAR.
--
Brian

Faster
Premium

1 edit
said by CylonRed:

There is a reason the sophmore season of a NASCAR driver is is looked upon as a write-off - they crash a ton. Yet many of those who trashed a lot of cars in their second year (full year/season we are talking about) - did well eventually - Kasey Khane, JJ are just 2.

Along with this - not all of the wrecks are her fault yet most people who don't like her - assign all wrecks as her fault.

The fact is - no one, no one, not one person will know how good of a driver in NASCAR she is till 3-5 years from now. Anything less and she was not given the same standards as other current and past drivers in NASCAR.

You make some really good and strong points along with history to support them.

There is just one subject that I think we may disagree on.

IMO if she had been a guy she either never would have gotten a ride in NASCAR or if she got one it would have been a second or third rate tier team as opposed to the strong team that she currently is on.

drslash
Goya Asma
Premium
Marion, IA

1 recommendation

reply to CylonRed
said by CylonRed:

Also - I find it funny that JJ, Dale Jr (or even Sr) and Tony (to name a few) get interviews no matter where they finish (usually at least ONE will be interviewed - ESPECIALLY if they DNF) and no one whines about it. Hmmmm - wonder why....

Those drivers paid their dues and are proven winners and champions. Patrick should get the spotlight when she deserves it.
--
Save water...drink beer!
--
#occupytheworkplace
--
--

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County
Many of those drivers had spotlights immediately - especially if they were deemed to be the next big thing - like Kez or Lagano, JJ, Jeff Gordon, Clint Bowyer and more.
--
Brian

drslash
Goya Asma
Premium
Marion, IA
Not really. Dale Jr. received white hot attention from the beginning but then again he started winning right away. The others also did pretty good from the start. Bowyer never received much attention and still doesn't.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County
Actually has gotten a good amount of attention the last 2 years as he has finally come close to be the driver they thought he was years ago and got a good bit of attention when he started. There have been several stories on Bowyer this year alone.

And there have been a LOT of drivers in NASCAR and many got a lot of attention before they started doing anything. Some were lucky enough to have a few years of experience and get into great teams immediately.
--
Brian

fatness
subtle
Premium,ex-mod 01-13
join:2000-11-17
fishing
kudos:14
reply to Faster
said by Faster:

said by fatness:

It's not like NASCAR needs it.

NASCAR thinks they need more attention. That's why they spent $5 million on research.

Reacting to Its Stalled Popularity, Nascar Checked Under the Hood

quote:
France’s message was based on the first comprehensive study of Nascar, ordered in 2010 to come up with a five-year plan for fixing the sport. The Nascar Sprint Cup Series opens its 2012 season Sunday with the Daytona 500 after the corporate soul-searching resulted in a set of measures, compiled late last year, aimed at revitalizing the way the sport does business.

After the recession slowed years of meteoric growth, Nascar’s leadership, from France on down, realized that the build-it-and-they-will-come model that propelled it through the 1990s and the first half of the last decade was no longer a solid business strategy. More than most sports, Nascar relies on older, white male fans. The study found that those fans were, because of the recession and their advancing age, going to fewer races and spending less at the races they did attend. According to the research, the growth in the number of single-parent families had also made it harder for fathers and mothers to take their children to races.

Because fans flocked to races for years, Nascar did not have to work hard to find newcomers. Now, younger fans are more likely to learn about a sport online than from a father or uncle, and Nascar feels it has to speak more directly to them.
--
here comes leadership

Faster
Premium
reply to CylonRed
said by CylonRed See Profile
And there have been a LOT of drivers in NASCAR and many got a lot of attention before they started doing anything. Some were lucky enough to have a few years of experience and get into great teams immediately.
[/BQUOTE :

How many people outside of NACAR even know who Bowyer is let alone the general public. Now how about in comparison Patrick?

And have any of them come even remotely close to the publicity and praise that Patrick has during those periods you mentioned?

A person wins the pole position at Daytona, (someone does every year) and it gets more attention as a story than the actual winner of the race got in terms of news coverage.

Faster
Premium
reply to Blogger
For this weekend's major NASCAR race at Fontana Danica qualified 40th in the 43 car field, nearly 8 MPH off the pole. This is also a track she is quite familiar with having raced open wheel cars on it too.

Except for a genuinely bright moment at Daytona in winning the pole she seems to have started at bottom and is in many ways working her way down.

Good luck in improving this week and the weeks to come Danica.

»www.latimes.com/sports/motorraci ··· 18.story

Faster
Premium

1 edit
reply to Blogger
Well, she didn't crash and she was only lapped once this week.

OK, I need to give her some slack. I've made my point about what I perceive as her special treatment and mediocre talent and that she is a celebrity as a sporting marketing sex symbol and not because of her accomplishments.

Despite her continuous poor performance she has all ways handled herself with class and given 100 percent and conducted herself in racing as a professional. So I will try to wait until deeper into the season to reassess her results NASCAR and overall racing to see if there is any significant change or relevant events in her career.

drslash
Goya Asma
Premium
Marion, IA
reply to Blogger
With the exception of a road course race, the 5 tracks run so far are roughly representative of the majority of the tracks on the Sprint Cup schedule. Patrick is basically the worst performer so far given her superior equipment and team and that of her teammates. The only full time drivers below her in points with 5 starts are in inferior equipment, with the exception of Montoya. Montoya is off to a terrible start but his driving skills are already proven. A special note should be given to AJ Allmendinger. He has only 3 starts and is 5 points ahead of Patrick in the point standings. That's not really a comparison but it is worth mentioning. I didn't watch every minute of the race Sunday but I don't recall any mention of where she was running or any focus given to her during the race, as she shouldn't be getting any.

On other race notes Sunday, apart from the dust up between Logano and Hamlin again, Tony Stewart showed that he needs to revisit his anger therapist again This is a double funny since he shouldn't have gone to an anger therapist a few years ago in the first place. Tony should just be Tony and not be molded in to something else that his sponsors want. Teams and sponsors should not be making all the drivers in to monotone, cliche spewing, robots. It is counter productive. The sponsor thinks that they can't risk damage to their brand by a loose cannon but in reality their driver won't bring attention to their brand when acting like a sedated mental patient.
--
Save water...drink beer!
--
#occupytheworkplace
--
--

Faster
Premium
Stewart as usual was out of line in his attempt to shove and punch Logano.

Someone should put a stop to Stewart's random unprovoked anger and physical attack by stepping up and into him when he attacks and throw and land a full force solid punch to Stewart's face. After Stewart gets up off of the ground, has his teeth repaired and nose fixed he might finally get the big picture.

He would be much more exciting winning a race than getting in sissy fights.

drslash
Goya Asma
Premium
Marion, IA
If you are serious about Stewart then that makes absolutely no sense. Somebody should violently attack Stewart to stop him from violently attacking others? LOL. Anybody willing to step up and fight is not a sissy in my book. I don't think he should fight either but I wouldn't call him a sissy.

Faster
Premium
I didn't call him a sissy. I said he fights like a sissy. Big difference.

Faster
Premium

1 edit
reply to drslash
said by drslash:

Somebody should violently attack Stewart to stop him from violently attacking others?

quote:
Someone should put a stop to Stewart's random unprovoked anger and physical attack by stepping up and into him when he attacks and throw and land a full force solid punch to Stewart's face.
After Stewart pays the piper for his childish aggression it will cease.

Trouble with fighting in sports is that not counting UFC type sports athletes like basketball players, race drivers, golfers, football players, and baseball players none of them can fight. They fight like sissies.

Now NHL guys those are guys that know how to fight! Three NHL enforcers could beat up a 43 man field of NASCAR drivers. Heck even just five random NHL player probably could do the same thing.

Ice Hockey, NHL style. The ONLY team sport in the world where fighting is necessary for the sport and to keep the peace.

KeysCapt
FAQ Master
join:2001-07-11
Carson City, NV
kudos:1
Thread -> Danica Patrick

Faster
Premium
Danica Patrick can't fight well either. Same as her NASCAR peers and her teammate Stewart after his blow up in the race that Patrick did so poorly race wise and that caused the momentary drift to the fighting topic.

Voxxjin
Made of Hamburger
Premium
join:2010-01-13
Dupont, WA
reply to Blogger
I am disappointed in this thread since it has no pics of Danica in a bikini.
--
Cry "Havoc!" and let slip the dogs of war

kingdome74
Let's Go Orange
Premium
join:2002-03-27
Syracuse, NY
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
which would be the sole reason why she's in NASCAR. The biggest problem is the longer she goes doing basically nothing the more NASCAR, etc lose credibility. If she has the talent to race Sprint (still Winston Cup in my mind) Cup and be competitive she hasn't shown it yet.
--
FINAL FOUR, BABY!!!

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
kudos:1
said by kingdome74:

which would be the sole reason why she's in NASCAR. The biggest problem is the longer she goes doing basically nothing the more NASCAR, etc lose credibility. If she has the talent to race Sprint (still Winston Cup in my mind) Cup and be competitive she hasn't shown it yet.

I still slip and say Winston Cup many times.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

kingdome74
Let's Go Orange
Premium
join:2002-03-27
Syracuse, NY
My wife and I always say Winston Cup and Grand National. As far as I'm concerned that was the last time NASCAR had a good series.
--
FINAL FOUR, BABY!!!

FFH5
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
reply to Blogger
Patrick had a good outing today. After starting in 32nd position, she moved up to finish at # 12.
»scores.nbcsports.msnbc.com/racin ··· s=NASCAR

Moorecards

join:2001-10-19
Martinsburg, WV
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Verizon Online DSL
said by FFH5:

Patrick had a good outing today. After starting in 32nd position, she moved up to finish at # 12.
»scores.nbcsports.msnbc.com/racin ··· s=NASCAR

mostly after being spun early to get 2 laps down .. she started 42 because she had a engine change so she had to move back to the end .. She was very impressive today for the 1st time at Martinsville

drslash
Goya Asma
Premium
Marion, IA
reply to Blogger
I'm first to bash her so she deserves credit with a good showing. So much of the result at Martinsville is on the driver's shoulders. She did a good job.