share rss forum feed

jtl999
CEO of Actiontec Dev Team

join:2012-11-24
In the GVRD
kudos:4
reply to plencnerb

Re: [Business] Six Strikes included?.

Telus (ISP in Canada) already sends you letters and does not cut off or modify service.

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
reply to plencnerb

said by plencnerb:

You don't spend millions of dollars to put something in place, when what you are tying to build already exists.

In the case of Comcast, I really don't see that there would have been a need to spend millions of dollars to implement the terms of the CAS/6 strikes program. The browser popup message mechanism is already in place for their Constant Guard program, and the walled garden mechanism is already in place for the Constant Guard program and for new modem activation.

They were already required to respond to DMCA violation notifications, so the clerical and accounting mechanism for that process would already be in place. The CAS/6 strikes program is just a notification process; the only difference might be (depending on how a particular ISP handles it) whether the tap on the shoulder to get your attention is done with a finger or a baseball bat. It can after all, be quite difficult do get the attention of some people. But the publicity campaign for the CAS/6 strikes program seems to be doing a fine job at getting the attention of some of those who would otherwise not be very responsive (with no baseball bats required).
--
A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA
reply to AVonGauss

said by AVonGauss:

said by NetFixer:

And there you go again proving my point by ignoring the fact that the business class TOS/AUP makes CAS/6 strikes irrelevant.

You are representing an opinion, yours, as a fact. Regardless of the original posters underlying intentions, the question of whether or not the Six Strikes mechanism and policy applies to business accounts is quite valid and apparently not one that anyone here currently has an answer for.

I personally know one person on a business class account that got a single DMCA notice from comcast with the wording that this was the only warning, any additional DMCA requests for that account would result in account termination per the TOS. The person admitted to me that they had torrented a recent and popular movie, and the movie title was listed in the DMCA letter.

Based on that fact, I assume comcast business class enforces their AUP. I hold the opinion that if there were a large influx of new business class users who also generate a large influx of DMCA notices, this enforcement would not decrease. That is indeed an opinion. The fact that the TOS already covers DMCA violations and spells out the response (account termination with ETF) leads me to believe CAS would not apply, and existing policy would.

I suppose we will find out, if people try this route.
--
My place : »www.schettino.us
Expand your moderator at work

medbuyer

join:2003-11-20
kudos:4

1 recommendation

reply to jtl999

Re: [Business] Six Strikes included?.

you know what would be funny?

people on Biz accounts actually try to do illegal things and when they get caught, they play dumb like they don't know...

blaming Comcast and everybody else...

according to a politician I saw on tv, "We have the right to be stupid"....

ualdayan

join:2004-07-17
Antioch, TN
reply to JohnInSJ

said by JohnInSJ:

said by AVonGauss:

said by NetFixer:

And there you go again proving my point by ignoring the fact that the business class TOS/AUP makes CAS/6 strikes irrelevant.

You are representing an opinion, yours, as a fact. Regardless of the original posters underlying intentions, the question of whether or not the Six Strikes mechanism and policy applies to business accounts is quite valid and apparently not one that anyone here currently has an answer for.

I personally know one person on a business class account that got a single DMCA notice from comcast with the wording that this was the only warning, any additional DMCA requests for that account would result in account termination per the TOS. The person admitted to me that they had torrented a recent and popular movie, and the movie title was listed in the DMCA letter.

Based on that fact, I assume comcast business class enforces their AUP. I hold the opinion that if there were a large influx of new business class users who also generate a large influx of DMCA notices, this enforcement would not decrease. That is indeed an opinion. The fact that the TOS already covers DMCA violations and spells out the response (account termination with ETF) leads me to believe CAS would not apply, and existing policy would.

I suppose we will find out, if people try this route.

Comcast considers business lines to be a totally different product than their residential services (that's why when you try to use Xfinity On Demand on the Xbox 360 it tells you 'you don't have Xfinity internet' when you have a business connection), so it makes sense that this new 6 strikes thing wouldn't apply to a business connection either on that same basis that it isn't the same product. It sounds like instead they go with a 1 warning, 2nd is termination approach for business - which makes it even more strict than residential.