spc
Search similar:

uniqs
bronxlcsw
join:2005-09-21
Bronx, NY

bronxlcsw

[hard drive] Macbook Pro 13 inch 275 dollars for hard drive cabl

Heres the deal. My daughter has a Macbook pro i purchased from apple store in 2011. The other day the notebook booted with an image of a folder and question mark flashing. I generally am very good at repairing my P.C. machines but im lost when it comes to macbooks. I went to a local P.C. store and the person said oh the hard drive seems corrupted . A flat diagnosis fee of 65 dollars is charged but to load fresh install of mac os it would be a total of 125. Guy calls me back about 40 minutes later and said my hard drive is not being recognized becuase of the cable . I ask how much and he said 125 dollars for the cable. As i said, i dont know anything about Macs so i went along. Its ready for pick up. I have this real sleazy feeling that i was ripped off big time. Is it fair for me to ask for the cable that allegedly broke so that i can price it?? I know i have no real legal recourse here but did i get ripped off and what can i do??
Chrno
join:2003-12-11

Chrno

Re: [hard drive] Macbook Pro 13 inch 275 dollars for hard drive

So which is it? $275 for the cable or $125?

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok to bronxlcsw

Premium Member

to bronxlcsw
Buy Applecare. Always. With mobile computers.

Is this "local PC store" even an Apple authorized repair center? Did the Macbook have Applecare?
bronxlcsw
join:2005-09-21
Bronx, NY

bronxlcsw to Chrno

to Chrno

Mike
Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA

Mike to bronxlcsw

Mod

to bronxlcsw
Sounds like you got robbed
rugby
I think I know it all.
join:2000-09-26
Plainfield, IN

rugby to bronxlcsw

to bronxlcsw
That cable is around $15 unless he's getting it via "other methods". We've seen a ton of drive/cable combinations go bad in models around the age of yours.

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ

Premium Member

said by rugby:

That cable is around $15 unless he's getting it via "other methods". We've seen a ton of drive/cable combinations go bad in models around the age of yours.

Looks like $50 from iFixit: »www.ifixit.com/MacBook-P ··· F163-026

so he's charged you $75 for labor to install the cable. Not bad for about 10 minutes of work.
kitsune
join:2001-11-26
Sacramento, CA

kitsune to bronxlcsw

to bronxlcsw
Yeah that's insane. Honestly the hard drive in a macbook pro is not that difficult to replace. Apple even considers it a diy and provides instructions on how to replace it.

Veloslave
Geek For God
Premium Member
join:2003-07-11
Martinez, CA

Veloslave to bronxlcsw

Premium Member

to bronxlcsw
The question that remains is... did he still re-install the OS. Also, did he back up the data first? Both of those would add to the repair bill.

If the cable was bad then he shouldn't need to do any of that... it should just be a cable replacement.

Troubleshooting, part and replacement sounds like $150.00 MAX

"Apple authorized repair center?" Pffft.... lulz

It's just a computer... it doesn't need Steve's magically "authorized" service just to jack up the cost even more.

It doesn't sound like you went to a very reputable place... who knows?

kerriskandie
join:2001-10-09
Coram, NY

kerriskandie to bronxlcsw

to bronxlcsw
Should of posted here, before you did anything...........!!!!

Hall
MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH

Hall to Veloslave

MVM

to Veloslave
said by Veloslave:

It's just a computer... it doesn't need Steve's magically "authorized" service just to jack up the cost even more.

My co-worker still thinks we have to get everything from Apple or one of the local Apple resellers. He's bought two external hard drives from them thinking they had to be Apple "approved" or something (one was an iOmega and the other a RocStor). I convinced him that the WD drives from Walmart will work just fine.... Same when I suggested he upgrade the RAM in his MacBook Pro. We bought Kingston RAM and I installed it vs taking it to the Apple store to have it done.