Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

Davesnothere to Canaca

Premium Member

to Canaca

Re: What does the CBB ruling mean to you and me?

said by Canaca:

....We are paying for the 1Gbps interconnect to meet peak hour spikes. What happens off peak hours has no impact on our costs. A picture is worth a thousand words so I have attached one.

As you can see our highest peak on this 1Gbps interconnect occurred at around 21:30. What happened before 21:30 and after 21:30 had no impact on our costs. We just need to make sure that the 1Gbps interconnect does not get saturated at any given time. Saturation equals lag and packet loss [and wholesale CBB cost increases]. During these potential peaks is where our rate limiting would kick in....

And anyone who thinks that you will limit their bandwidth (speed) to half for the entire 'peak' hours period (the period which you publish) is either paranoid or has an agenda against your company (or both).

BTW, I take it that the blue line is the customers' downstream demand and the green shading is our upstream ?

Canaca
Premium Member
join:2007-03-05
Mississauga, ON

Canaca

Premium Member

said by Davesnothere:

said by Canaca:

....We are paying for the 1Gbps interconnect to meet peak hour spikes. What happens off peak hours has no impact on our costs. A picture is worth a thousand words so I have attached one.

As you can see our highest peak on this 1Gbps interconnect occurred at around 21:30. What happened before 21:30 and after 21:30 had no impact on our costs. We just need to make sure that the 1Gbps interconnect does not get saturated at any given time. Saturation equals lag and packet loss [and wholesale CBB cost increases]. During these potential peaks is where our rate limiting would kick in....

And anyone who thinks that you will limit their bandwidth (speed) to half for the entire 'peak' hours period (the period which you publish) is either paranoid or has an agenda against your company (or both).

BTW, I take it that the blue line is the customers' downstream demand and the green shading is our upstream ?

That is correct. Green is upstream and blue is Downstream.